2002 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 032016

The "air bag " idiot light goes on the dash. It can be stationary or being driven.

- Keene, NH, USA

Jun 252015

I was standing outside of the vehicle, watching the gauges on the instament cluster going up and down, like they were loosing power, then both air bags exploded!,shattered the windshield and dashboard! I just cant believe that happened if I or my loved ones had been going down the road!!! well I dont want to think about that but, the piont is the system failled. And if I had hit a wall or something and been killed it would have looked like the air bags worked properly. This car was in my drive ideling, in park no one even touching it!

- Fairview Heights, IL, USA

Sep 172014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle was involved in a crash and the driver side air bag failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed and an injury was sustained. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Gardenia, CA, USA

Nov 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on main street in rio vista and my vehicle just simple shut off. The car rolled and hit a planter in front of the store as I tried steering it out of the street. When I tried to start it again, the ignition switch would not operate. I called the amica roadside assistance and was towed to abel Chevrolet. They informed me that this problem was typical to this year vehicle and that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. They replaced it at a cost of approximately $509.11 since my ignition has already been replaced, do I need to take it back in" also will I be compensated for the cost of the replacement"

- Rio Vista, CA, USA

Oct 102013

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 60 mph, the passenger side air bag deployed without warning. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Oaktown, IA, USA

Jul 312014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while stopped at a stop sign, the passenger's side and driver's side air bags deployed independently without warning, which caused the windshield to shatter. The contact sustained a bruised arm and head injury but did not seek medical attention. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the SDM sensor was covered in water and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 242011

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while making a left turn, another vehicle crashed into the contact front passenger side. The driver and passenger frontal air bag failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and back. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Highland , IN, USA

Jun 022014

Impala 6-cyl

This car was one-owner and very well taken care of and serviced routinely. I was driving home from work on the interstate and my car just lost power. I had no control of the car. It slammed into the concrete medium wall on drivers side, then spun around and lodged underneath the trailer of a semi-tractor. The semi hit the brakes and it projected me back across upon the top of the concrete medium where my car just rode to a stop. The air bags did not deploy. My beautiful car was totaled but, by the grace of god and seat belts I am alive. I have a concussion, sprained ankle, cuts, and bruises, but I am here to tell about it. Hopefully, the NHTSA will investigate and save someone else from injury or death. My car is available to inspect.

- Chesapeake, WV, USA

May 192014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while parked, another vehicle crashed into the driver's side of his vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact stated that the passenger sustained major injuries to the lower back. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,600.

- Dayton, OH, USA

May 222014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling 40 mph, there was a sudden loss of power causing the vehicle to crash into a pole. The air bags did not deploy. There was a police report filed. The contact and two passengers were taken to the hospital for treatment of unknown injuries. The vehicle was towed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 171,000 and the current mileage was 171,000.

- Elizabethtown, NC, USA

Nov 122012

At 10:00 P.M., driver started the vehicle (cold) and pulled away from curb stopping at a stop sign 100 feet ahead. As driver pulled away from the curb, the dash lights (seat belt, ABS, airbag, etc.) and tachometer began to intermittently flash/ fluctuate. Driver proceeded to take a right turn onto a main road when the driver's side head curtain airbag inadvertently deployed from the driver's seat back. Driver immediately stopped the car and pulled off into a parking lot to call for assistance.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Aug 152011

Impala 6-cyl

Electronic - first problem was airbag light staying on - after at least 4 trips to dealer - problem fixed - now radio is locked and somehow connected to door locks and security system - apparently this is an issue for this model and needs recall.

- East Haven , CT, USA

Feb 062008

Me and my wife was riding down azalea road in mobile Alabama and a car came into our lane and we hit it dead wife head hit the windshield and no airbags deployed.. we were going about 35 mph..we were in a 2002 Impala that we just bought the day before..I want some answers for what happen and I really want to sue the Chevy company..please give me information about who I should talk to about my lawsuit.. even though my wife and I were not hurt, she could have had a serious head injury, because once again her head hit the windshield and crack the windshield..we had to take an ambulance ride and everything and get X-rays...please notify me on what can I do...

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 262009

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 35 mph, the contact rear-ended the preceding vehicle. None of the air bags deployed in her vehicle. She believes that the impact was severe enough that the air bags should have deployed. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop. The driver sustained severe back pain and a headache. She was transported to the hospital and released three hours later. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 122,000.

- Minier, IL, USA

Nov 042008

2002 Chevy Impala air bags inadvertently deployed while the consumer was pulling out of the driveway. The consumer suffered minor injuries.

- Mabelvale, AR, USA

Mar 262008

Impala 6-cyl

We hit a horse with our car and the air bags did not deploy. We received cuts on our head, face, hands, and legs. I received a blow to my head causing swelling and bruising to my forehead, eyes, nose, cheeks. Experiencing headaches and dizziness since then. Large bruises and swelling on my thighs from the steering wheel.

- Valier, MT, USA

Dec 232003

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

Our son was going appx 35 miles an hour and my husband was in the passenger front seat. A drunk driver pulled out of an apartment complex, literally on top of my husbands car - hitting them on the front right side. The airbags did not deploy and my husbands seat belt did not hold. He was in perfect health before this accident and is now a partial functioning quadriplegic. All because of defected air bags!!! I realized also, this is not the first time someone's seat belt did not hold!!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 142006

Caller states that his spouse was driving at 20 mph while crossing intersection a car came an hit the vehicle the drivers side of the car.vehicles airbag did not deploy. Another vehicle hit the car head on. Neither the side airbags and airbags determined that the car was totaled no repairs were lose of control of vehicle. The warning light did not signal during or after accident. No injuries.did not contact pre-impact braking occurred. Driver was wearing their pictures were taken my occupant possible pictures taken by insurance company.

- Towns, OH, USA

Jan 052006

Impala 6-cyl

I was involved in a rear-end collision. The air bags did not deploy (expected) and the shoulder restraint did not prevent my head and body from going forward and striking the steering wheel (unexpected.) I received injuries as a result of my forehead striking (I assume) the steering wheel.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jun 282003

Impala 6-cyl

I was involved in a side impact collision in a 2002 Chevrolet Impala police package. I was hit in the drivers side door, then my veh run up into a parking lot where I struck a sign. I was injured in the accident.

- Vincennes, IN, USA