8.8

2. multi function switch on steering column replaced (7 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Impala lights problems

lights problem

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 012014

Impala SS 3.8L

Driving down dark road and headlights stop plus dash lights, hit switch on and off and they came back lookn into fixing now

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Jun 172012

Impala 3.4L

During the day my lights works fine but when the sun sets only my right headlight will work and occassionally they will just suddenly shut off. This is very dangerous and GM should recall and fix that problem

- , Flint, MI, USA

Mar 022009

Impala 3.2L

I would be driving down our highway, going to work at the wee hours of the morning when it was still dark out and my car lights would magically just shut off. I could hit the dimmer switch to bring them back on, but come on, when will they not turn back on. The part was expensive. The labor was expensive. It's an extreme safety hazard, yet GM does not feel they need to recall it.

Nov 142012

Impala 3.2L

I have already had the multifunction switch on my car replaced once in 2009. Now my headlights just decide if they want to work or not when I turn on my car. My light switch will not override anything. Sometimes they will come on, sometimes they won't. I could also bang on the dash and they would come on for me. This worked for about a month because I refuse to pay another $600 for a multifunction switch. Now, they will not come on at all. I've been waiting for a safety recall but to no avail. This is ridiculous! I leave in the morning and it's still dark and I have no idea if my car lights are going to come on or not. I can hold in my brights while driving down the road and bright every car, but release the lever, and I see nothing. Wonderful GM!

Mar 222012

Impala

Multifunction switch went out for the 2nd time. Had small fits that would last a day or so and was ongoing for a couple of months but never long enough to make it to the mechanic until it went out for good at the end of March. Had it replaced, part has a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer so only had to pay for labor. Major inconvenience and safety hazard.

It only lasted about 2 weeks, its been out for a few days, but haven't made it back to the mechanic yet.

My neighbor also has a 2004 Impala and has had to drive home in the middle of the night HOLDING the switch in the high beam position just to get home.

I called the NTSB and filed a complaint a few days ago, this is ridiculous!!!

- , Oak Harbor, OH, USA

Dec 242010

Impala

Headlights went out in the middle of the night on a dark country road. Managed to stop the car and noticed high beams worked but not the dims. Drove it like that until shop fixed it, replaced the multifunction switch, cost about $500. This is a serious safety hazard!

- , Oak Harbor, OH, USA

Oct 182011

Impala

CAN NOT REALLY SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE CAR EXCEPT FOR THE LIGHTS GOING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WHILE GOING HOME FROM WORK. HAD TO HOLD THE SWITCH SO AT LEAST I COULD USE THE BRIGHTS

- , Ashtabula, OH, USA

Aug 172011

Impala

Light problem first began with the headlights turning off completely when turning on/off brights every once in awhile.

My dim's stopped working in August but JUST at night. The first time I noticed it is when I was taking off on a 5 hour drive and I had to leave at 9pm. I had to hold the high beams on the whole drive to where I was going. I never had time to fix the lights but now(oct. 6th) the high beams stopped working (unless I pull them to the point where it feels like I'm going to break it) and my dims are working in the DAY but not at NIGHT

- , Tumwater, Washington, USA

Dec 202010

Impala

Not only is this going to kill someone, I bet it already and probably more than one.

- , Roach, MO, USA

Apr 022010

Impala

was driving on a very dark night down a back road and the lights are gone. the only way i have any lights is if i hold the bright light switch. so one hand for steering and the other for lights. ONLY BRIGHT ONES. not to mention the on coming traffic what am i suppose to do for them bright lights or no lights is my only option... what do you say when you get pulled over for driving with NO head lights and only BRIGHTS??? sorry officer my lights went out what kind of ticket to you get.. This should be recalled and fixed especially if you see that this has happen to more than one person. I have not had the time or help to get mine fixed. WISH that this had never happened, but im thankfull that i didnt have my 3 small children with me and that there wasnt a accident. NOW i wonder how am i to get to work... Thanks for your time and if you have this problem i feel your pain. PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE FOR SOMEONE!!!!!!!!

- , Rushville, IL, USA

Jan 302010

Impala 3.4L

High beams quit completely on a moonless night on the freeway. Scared the heck out of me. This is definitely a safety issue and should result in a recall.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jan 052010

Impala

It is very unsafe when I am driving down the road and my lights repeatedly shut off. There is no reason this should not be a safety recall. The first time it happened I almost went into the ditch myself. Luckily, when I pulled the dimmer switch again, they came back on, but you never know when they will go off or when the day will be when they won't come back on.

Oct 122009

Impala 3.4L V6

I took my 2004 chevy impala to a garage because my left light repeatedly went out. Once I lifted the hood and wiggled the wires, it works, until the car is shut off. The mechanic advised that it has to be electrical and recommended I take it to a dealer. The next night I'm leaving the theater and my lights will not come on. I switched to my high beams and they came on for all of 2 mins and completely no lights.....so I have to sit around for a friend to pick me up

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Jan 082009

Impala

lights go off while driving for what would cause this problem

- , Miramichi, NB, Canada

Aug 252008

Impala LS 3.8L V8

When had high beams on one night all lights went out. Reset after about 10 mins but did it 2 more times trying to get home. Luckily straight roads, no clouds and full moon.

- , Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Dec 272007

Impala 3.4L V6

Thankfully I was only backing out of my driveway when the headlights stopped working totally. We have had a couple of experiences with the lights going out momentarily in the past year. I was hoping it was just the light switch and I replaced that for about $200 myself. Fuses were fine. I searched internet and found similar problems with other GM vehicles that were cause by malfunctioning multifunction switch. I tried clicking the high/low beam switch on steering column and the lights temporarily came back on. I had the vehicle taken to dealership where they determined it was the multifunction switch and replaced it. So far it has worked. I can't believe I had to pay $400 Canadian for this plastic part. Granted I do have cruise control on my vehicle, but I still think that is gouging. I called around and all parts dealers were charging similar prices.

Again this is the first GM vehicle where I have had so many costly problems with interior components. GM certainly doesn't hold a place of favor in my mind any longer. I shunned Ford because I owned a Taurus during the 90"s that was a complete lemon. I went back to GM in the late 90's. I owned a used 94 Gran Prix I was quite happy with it. But this Impala is certainly no match for the 94Gran Prix or the Monte Carlo I owned in the 80's.

The only positive I saw out of this experience with the lights on my Impala, is that GM has made it easier to access dash components (but not the multifunction switch). No wonder, when you have to replace parts so often. Between replacing the speedometer cluster and the multifunction switch I have spent almost $1500 in the last twelve months.

- , Innisfil, Ontario, Canada