3.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Mar 172008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The following day after the vehicle was purchased, the speedometer stopped working. A cluster was repaired and a new steering column was installed at the cost of $465. After the cluster was replaced, the speedometer began to work. While driving between 55-70 mph, the vehicle began making a whining sound. The whining sound could also be heard while driving at speeds between 35-45 mph. On four occasions, the vehicle would not defrost and heat up at temperatures between 45-59 degrees. The dealer stated that nothing could be done. On three different occasions, the vehicle stalled. While parked at a gas station and twice when attempting to start the vehicle, it eventually restarted. The dealer initially stated that the failure could be due to the ignition or the starter. The contact found a nail in a tire and went to a tire shop. She was informed that all four of the tires had cracks on the edge of the tread and were dry rotted. The current mileage was 65,480 and failure mileage was 64,480.

- Sumpter, SC, USA

Apr 062008

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala, currently with 22,320 miles. At my oil change and tire rotation, (~20,500) I was informed by repair place that they would not perform the tire rotation as I would be needing to replace the tires soon. I asked why they were wearing so fast- I was told, they noticed it on many Impala- premature tire wear between 18,000-25,000 miles. ~ 15 months ago, with only about 13,000 miles, when I had an oil change done I was informed me the engine was leaking oil from the rear of the engine, I should take it to the dealer for repair. The dealer had to replace (under warranty) several seals/gaskets- oil pan, drain plug, oil filter, plus replace the drain plug. The car is sometimes hard to start and have to hold the key in the start position, and/or lightly press the gas pedal to start it. About two weeks ago, I grinded the starter. Sometimes the car will start roughly and immediately stall, or will stall the first few seconds as I am backing out the drive way. Dealer about this they told me I was using cheap gas and to use a better brand, but I always use "brand" gas, I even use fuel injector cleaner dealer later told me I needed to have the fuel injection "flushed" with their system for $199, plus tax and charges, hearing it was not good for the vehicle, I declined. I have also noticed a "clunking/bumping/banging" noise when turning, especially hard turns. My brakes need to be replaced, the front brakes are starting to make a thump when braking, and yesterday when braking hard, I heard a squeal noise, (rear?). fuel gauge sometimes rapidly fluctuates, when driving, and at times when accelerating, (though not concurrent) I hear a "swoosh/gargling" sound. I was accelerating too hard. The fuel gauge will swing as much as a 1/4 tank when driving before recovering to the correct position. Gauge shows low fuel level, low fuel light comes on, I only needed 10-12 gals to fill it (~16 gals).

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA