2009 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems: issues related to dead battery

Issues Related To Dead Battery

8.5

2. replace battery (2 reports)
2009 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Nov 062014

Impala LTZ 3.9L V6

The GM car battery died when working in the south only after it was 2 to 2 1/2 years old. Had it replaced by Auto Advance and 2 years later on 11-11-14 that battery died and GM dealer in town replaced it with a GM battery. Then GM replaced the airbag module for $300 a couple of days after they replaced the battery because the check airbag light would not turn off. Now on 11-18-14, not 1 week later, the battery is drained and the key is stuck in the ignition. We are waiting for a tow to take Impala back to the dealer. The car is always in a garage. What is draining the battery?

Update from Nov 19, 2014: Both GM dealers left the failed onStar module hooked up and that resulted in battery drainage. Shortly after returning home to MN from TN, we had to replace a 2 - 2 1/2 yr old battery; however, the MN GM dealer didn't consider why that battery was drained, and we agreed to replace, at our cost, the battery w/new GM battery. One week later that battery was drained and car would not start. The onStar failed module had to be unhooked to stop draining the new battery. We take our GM vehicles to GM dealers because we expect them to know their vehicles and we expect thorough diagnostics and troubleshooting. We do NOT expect to keep returning to the GM shop for repair of something that should have been detected in the 1st diagnostic test or the GM shop mechanic should have anticipated that a dead onStar module would drain a car battery. It may have been the cause of the airbag light module failing, as well.

- , St. Cloud, MN, USA

Nov 042012

Impala

My battery just died for no reason today. It took 30 minutes of charging off my friend's battery to get it jump started. I let it run for at least an hour before turning it off. I turned it on and...nothing...dead again. The weird thing is while it's dead the odometer lights flash and the door locks keep clicking like they're trying to lock and unlock. Then when we tried to push it to a safe place, I couldn't shift to neutral or get my key out until the car was hooked up to jumper cables. I have a mechanic who is my husband's best friend and he said when he hooked up his battery meter it came up saying 13v when it's only a 12v battery??? How is this possible? His theory is that it may be the alternator over charging and has fried my battery. I sure hope this is covered under warranty. Electrical issues suck!!!!!!

- , Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 012012

Impala LS V6

I purchased this car 01/2010 which was a 2009 leftover. The battery had a bad cell. Not even 3 years old. This also happened on my 2004 which the battery lasted 3 1/2 years. Why can't GM put a better battery in this car?

- , Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Dec 022009

Impala 3.5L

With a dead battery, or if battery is destroyed in an accident, there is no access to the trunk for your emergency equipment such as First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher, blankets, or jumper cables.

Also with a dead battery there is no way to pull the key from the ignition, so now you can't lock your car, to protect your valuables or the car itself, should you have to leave it to make a call, keep warm, or go for help.

- , Surprise, AZ, USA