2009 Chevrolet Impala steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 2)

2009 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Spokane, WA, USA

May 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the steering seized and the vehicle exhibited a loss of engine power. The contact crashed into the guard rail and the front driver's air bag failed to deploy. The contact suffered unknown injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not destroyed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and believed that it's directly related to the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Mountain Green , UT, USA

Dec 012011

Impala

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond and the steering wheel became seized causing the vehicle to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The police report was filed and no injuries sustained. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Sycrause, NY, USA

Sep 032014

Impala

The vehicle started to beep and gauges didn't work then work. The gauges went back and forth. The locks locked and unlocked. I started to drive and didn't know how fast I was going because the speedometer didn't work. The engine seemed to work harder to reach highway speed. When I turned the car off, the stabilitrak light came off but check engine light came on. I took the car to the dealer and they cleared the codes for the check engine light but couldn't find what caused the stabilitrak light to come on. They took the electrical harness off and put electrical grease on to keep moisture out. That didn't solve the problem. I still have the stabilitrak light to come on and gauges not to work. Now, it happens when I am driving. I feel that someday this will happen and have no control of my vehicle because one time I felt the power steering to go but come back right away.

- Potter, WI, USA

Sep 172014

Impala

I was driving my car into a series of turns at approximately 45 mile per hour when it seemed I lost engine power rapidly and the car decreased speed to approximately 20 mile per hour I could not accelerate. I could barely stear and breaking was really difficult. I managed to get the car off of the road where it set for approximately a minute or two before it would restart. I contacted GM and my dealership and did not get a satisfactory answer either place. This is exactly what my recall letter describes yet I was told that my issues were not due to the recall. I am greatly disappointed to be paying for a vehicle that is not safe for me to drive.

- Buckeye, WV, USA

Jul 102014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 62 mph, the steering wheel seized and was difficult to turn. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a ditch and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a seat belt injury that did not require medical attention. In addition, the front seat passenger sustained soreness in the shoulder and a head injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Sedro Woolley, WA, USA

Feb 042011

Impala

Reference# 678792. As I approached the intersection, another vehicle was turning onto the street I was on. I moved over to make room, as I moved over I had to cross over a clump of snow and ice that had re froze making a rough and bumpy transition. I was about 20 feet from the stop sign. I placed my foot on the brake which was hard and unresponsive. The steering was hard and unresponsive as well. I was driving about 3-5 mph at the time. When I placed my foot on the brake it was unresponsive and it took me into the intersection where I was hit by another vehicle on the drivers side front. My airbag did not deploy. The total damage for my vehicle was $ $5,615.93. We were confused and did not understand why the brakes and the steering did not function and why with this violent of a crash that the airbag did not deploy. After reading the recall notice explaining the ignition recall it made sense that why the failure occurred.

- Strafford, MO, USA

Aug 062013

Impala

During normal conditions warning ligths flash "service traction control" along with ABS light. There is a grinding noise in the front left side wheel. Also seat belts light flash. Already replaced accelerator pedal sensor.

- Brawley, CA, USA

May 132014

Impala

The steering column squeaks when you turn the steering wheel slowly and backing up and turning into position slowly.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jul 222014

Impala

I take a left hand turn I hear cracking; backing up I hear cracking; like the front axle is falling apart. There is a control arm recall but not on my car just police cars. The issue with my car sounds like the police issue car. I am kinda of scared pulling out into traffic scary, twice I have had the traction control come on and say it needs service; but when you shut the car off light doesn't come back on. It drives funny as well do not feel safe anymore.

- Glenburn, ME, USA

Mar 192010

Impala

I had just turned onto this road, had not even gone a mile. No speed, no black marks, car shut down ran off the road and hit a tree stump. Total the car. The steering wheel was bent almost in half. I have pictures of the car. I got this car new, so all miles we're put on it by me. I broke my hip, back, knee, dislocated my elbow, crushed my ankle and foot. Had a head injury, a deflated lung. I was in the hospital for two months and a nursing home for a month. I have had 14 surgeries. Still not able to work or do a lot of things for my self. With the recalls showing the issues of the engine shutting off, I need this looked into.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 042014

Impala

While driving heard a loud clunking sound as I turn the steering wheel. Upon inspection, right hand lower control arm bushing found to be defective. Using NHTSA database found recall on only police vehicles and cannot get answer why only those vehicles were recalled and not mine.

- Waterford, MI, USA

May 302014

Impala

One day before I was to take a vacation from Missouri to Texas, my check engine light came on. My mechanic told me the code had something to do with a fuel canister, but it shouldn't pose a problem. As I was driving 75 mph on the highway inside the Texas state line, after 7 hours of driving, mostly in rain all day, the car started doing a jerking type action & then my traction control light came on, w/a warning msg saying, "service traction control; engine power reduced." Going 75 mph I lost all control! no lights, no A/C (which is a separate, loud, clicking issue I could address), no power steering, no power brakes! I had all I could do to just point my car to the side of the road & coast to a stop, in the middle of nowhere w/out a service station in sight! I tried 3X to restart the vehicle to no avail. As I sat there in bewilderment & fright of what just happened, I contemplated what to do. After about 5 minutes, I decided to try & start it 1 more time. This time, it started up. However, the check engine light & the service airbag light (again, another issue I've had with the vehicle since the day I purchased it) were still lit up but the traction control light & the warning messages had gone off. I continued to my destination & the following day (Saturday) I took the vehicle to the local GM dealership where they proceeded to do a diagnostic test &, of course, "could not replicate the problem, " therefore they could not "find anything wrong." They gladly depleted my vacation expenses of $100 & sent me on my way with a reassurance that "if it happens again while you're here, come back by & we will test it again but we won't charge you for it." How nice of them. :{ GM seems to enjoy doing that. And the NHTSA doesn't seem to want to take the initiative to investigate this prevalent problem w/these cars. If something bad happens, I'll sue the pants off of them.

- Cape Fair, MO, USA

May 082014

Impala 6-cyl

It's apparently the standard Impala issue of the car's dash reading engine power reduced. The car has less than 100,000 miles and my I was driving home from work in rush hour when the dash read engine power reduced. I immediately phoned my husband. He insisted that I get in the right lane and be prepared for the car to die. My husband then mistakenly told me to drive to a specific exit out of the inner city before exiting the highway. Next the check stability message came on. He was like ok that's weird but lets get you home. Then the car decided to lose power brakes and steering. My hands are literally blistered getting it off the road. I guided it of the highway as he looked up the issue. Finding hundreds of these same accounts he told me to hold on a bit and restart the car. It worked and I drove it home. Had my husband not insisted I move over and be prepared this could have been a very different issue.

- Berea, OH, USA

Oct 062011

Impala

Since I bought the car in 2011 used with 23,000 miles on I have had to have two new racket pinion steering motors/(units) replaced and if I'm not mistaken it appears a third is on it's way.. this is not in any way the car is being driven. This is a flaw that could also cause a dangerous situation.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 142014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving home on the freeway at about 70 mph and the service engine light went on with it saying "reduced engine power" on display. About 10 seconds later I could not accelerate, the car began to start slowing down and I lost ability to maneuver the steering easily as the steering wheel locked up. I was able to pull off on the side of the freeway and I had to turn the car off and wait about 10 minutes for the problem to clear up.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Feb 092014

Impala 6-cyl

Stopped at the top of a snow covered hill. Put the transmission in 2nd gear and proceeded down the hill. The vehicle got up to about 15 mph then lost all power; engine quit, no brakes, and the steering wheel locked in place. Because the brakes were not working the vehicle gained significant speed going downhill. Not being able to steer the vehicle because the steering wheel was locked it went off the road and hit a tree. Upon impact the air bags did not deploy. As a result the driver and passenger were seriously injured. The consumer stated after owning the vehicle for a few months, the vehicle began to loose power and several messages appeared on the dashboard. All the power shut off and the consumer had to aaa to have the vehicle towed to where she purchased it. An inspection revealed the throttle body needed to be replaced. Updated 07/10/14

- North East., PA, USA

Nov 022013

Impala 6-cyl

When I pressed down on my accelerator pedal (speed limit was increasing from 50mph to 65mph), a message of "starting disabled. Service throttle" came up on the dash. The accelerator pedal and steering wheel completely locked up and the car started to decelerate. I was able to force the steering wheel in order to turn onto a side street (narrowly avoiding a car stopped in the left lane to turn) and park the vehicle in a location out of the main lane of traffic. Had this side street not been there at that exact moment, the possibility of a crash would be very likely as steering was unresponsive and I may have been rear-ended due to the sudden loss of engine power.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Nov 152012

Impala 6-cyl

Was driving 35 mph, in a 40 mph zone, steering locked up and hit a curve..could not steer, then after I hit curve. Steering went back to normal..I'm not going to drive a car thats unsafe...

- Brewster, OH, USA

Mar 012011

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the brake was depressed, the front end would shake and exhibit a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for an alignment of the front end, but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection where the failure was located at the steering component. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,256 the current mileage was not available.

- O'fallon, IL, USA