2010 Chevrolet Impala brakes NHTSA complaints: Electronic Stability Control

NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2010 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 2)

2.4

2010 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 052011

Impala

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the check engine and stability control warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The contact would have to restart the vehicle in order for it to resume normal operation. In addition, the air bag warning light would illuminate sporadically. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Jul 242013

Impala

When I brought the car is started burning alot of gas. I didn't know the car have been recall by the dearlership GM Corp.until after a few months like Nov 10, 2014.when the local dealership bmg sold me the car, , they didn't tell me of any defect regarding this car. It had to be balance and aligned all the time with tire, tire wheeler part broken, sterring wheel won't turn before craucking the car.elec wiring needed fixing to stop the tricking in the dash board of the car.air bags disemployed and when turning the stirring wheel a loud crick in front of the car of wheel.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 052014

Impala

I own a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. I started my car and it was sputtering and knocking which it has never done before. The message on my computer dispay read " reduced engine power " and " serivice traction control" I turned it off and let it sit for a moment and then upon restarting everything was back to normal. I have notice that same message prior to today but only briefly but until today had not experienced the sputtering and knocking. Through research I see that this is a common problem and a dangerous one to have while driving. It sounds like a much needed recall is in order before someone ends up seriously injured or possibly dead.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 312014

Impala

Vehicle was being driven and then the service traction control light came on and immediately the vehicle lost power steering and the whole instrument panel appeared to shut down. The engine was still running however I was unable to accelerate. After getting the vehicle to a stop I turned the car off and then tried restarting it. It would start but then immediately the engine would die

- Payson, IL, USA

Jun 032014

Impala

Traction control light and engine reduce speed light came on and car started stutter and slow down on the highway. Replace throttle body twice and replace gas pedal sensor

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Impala

The car experienced a reduction in power and the engine began making a "knocking" noise. The check engine light came on as well as a "reduced engine power, service traction control" alert.

- Washington, IL, USA

Jun 142011

Impala

1. 2011 was driving in waco, tx, as I made a left turn the electronic stability control indicator light came on, within sec the car stopped. Coasted to side of the road, after 5 min was able to restart car. Drove approx 2 mi, made 2 left turns,1 right turn. When I made the right turn, the car engine came to a stop. In 10 or 15 min was able to restart car and drove approx 2 mi to allen samuels chev dealer in waco. They kept the car a few days, they drove it numerous times trying to replicate the engine stoppage. They could not replicate the stoppage, but during trouble shooting, found a cable connector loose on the transmission and replaced that. They felt this was the problem. 2. Sep 5, 2014. Was on entrance ramp to interstate, was accelerating to enter traffic, the car engine began to stutter/stall, was able to turn into an exit ramp lane, the ESC indicator light came on briefly, then the warning message came on that the engine was reducing power, within seconds the car engine stopped. Was able to coast to a stop. I waited approx 5 min, was able to restart engine. The engine light came on, but I was able to drive home on secondary roads. (approx 25 mi). I was afraid to drive the car to waco, called a wrecker and had it towed to allen samuels chev in waco, tx. 3. request and recommend: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2010/Chevrolet/Impala/electrical+system this web site shows multiple safety problems with Chevy of different years and shows that life and death injuries will occur when the car completely stops without adequate warning. 4. when the car is returned to me, I plan on keeping the ESC off until issue is resolved. I feel strongly this is a defect in the car, had this incident on Sep 5th happened a couple of min later after I had entered interstate traffic, there could have been serious injury to me and to others.

- Eddy, TX, USA

Jun 162014

Impala

Goodmorning I just would like to say this is my second vehicle from Chevy but this vehical has really placed me in a bad bind. First the airbag light comes on and off for the passed month, next the key becomes stuck in the ignition then it went out had to replace that. Traction control light comeson comes over board with message saying, " engine power is reduced then message states car shuting down " in the middle of driving. This last time I had my new born grandbaby in the car driving on expressway going 60speed limit car just shut offcars flying pass me I was really terrified for my safty and my grand child. This has occured off and on since last year. Last yeat I had taken it back to all star Chevy in miss.they stated they couldn't find anything cost me a good penny when they stated that the warrenty was out. Now the car will not start. I have been replacing alot of electrical issues with this car for the last year but this time is the last time my grand baby and myself could have lost our life" now no car to get back and forth to work I have been really patient with Chevy with this car I still have all my reciepts from aaa fixing this car I refused to spend any more money on this car. I need toknow if this compay will help me because a 2010 should not have this much problem.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 072014

Impala

The contact owns 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the service stability track light iluminated intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 032014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving at 30 mph the trak stabilization light came on with a warning that engine power was reduced. I stopped the car and shut off for about 5 minutes. When I restarted the car, the warnings came back on again. I was able to make it to my destination safely. When I got back in the car approximately 6 hours later, the car started fine with the only warning being the check engine light. I drove home and called my local repair to look at it. The next day when I started it there were no warning lights at all and my local dealer check the sensors and could not find anything wrong. This happened again about 30 days later and has continued to happen 4 times since then. Each time after 2-5 hours the car seems fine except for check engine light which goes out the next day.

- Bellwood, IL, USA

Mar 082014

Impala

Traction control, stabiltrak system engine light comes on reduced engine power, this has happen a lot over the couple months.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 202013

Impala

After wet wear her stability light message, traction control comes on while driving as does engine power reduced message power is reduced and vehicle dies if you do not pull over and turn it off and bck on. This is a very dangerous and expensive problem which GM is aware of and could cause serious injuries if not dealt with.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Mar 162014

Impala 6-cyl

It had snowed overnight and I was driving 60 miles per hour going downhill when the traction control light and the engine light came on and then where the odometer reading is it said engine power reduced and then check traction control and check stabilizer. I did make it to work as the car shock as the car felt like it was going to die. I did let it sit all day while I was at work and then when I started it the engine light was still on and it ran ok. I took it across the street and parked it at the Chevrolet dealership and since it is Sunday they are not open and I will stop by in the morning to let them know what is wrong to have them check it out. We have had this car for a year and considering not owning another Chevy.

- Grand Junction, IA, USA

Jan 082014

Impala

This has been happening at least once a week for the last 2 months. I go to start my car in the morning and it has the check engine light on and traction control light and is giving me messages of engine power is reduced, service traction control, service stabilitrak. The car still drives when this is on, but its really doggie, and shifts hard.

- Sparta, WI, USA

Feb 062014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving about half mile from home, suddenly service engine light, service traction control and reduce engine power message turn on. Car start to lose power. After driving another 2 miles, went to a parking lot. Engine began rough. Park the car and went shopping. About 1 hr. Later the car start fine and running normal, except the check engine light still on. Park car in garage. Next day, start the car, check engine light, service traction control & reduce engine power message turn on. Back in/out garage and turn engine on/off 3 times. Engine is very rough. Back to garage. Next day. Start the car, engine ran normal with check engine light turn on. Drove the car around a circle and back to garage. Runs fine. Got into internet an found about a lot of complains(100S) on this car (2010 & earlier Chevy Impala) for the same problem, with report of dangerous incidence on the highway. I am afraid to use it again until it is fixed. I hope a recall should be made for the defect. This car is in garage, and is seldom use because I have 3 cars, and I am retired.

- Troy, MI, USA

Apr 012013

Impala 6-cyl

I don't remember the exact date, but approximately 2 yrs ago, I began seeing the sequence of messages, "service traction control, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced, " and the engine light comes on along with the traction control system light. The car speed was obviously reduced and I couldn't really accelerate. I took the car back to carmax and they said they couldn't find anything and did not know what I was talking about. It happens sporadically, but seemingly always on the interstate while I'm traveling around 65--70 mph. This is very dangerous, and I've been trying to research what needs to be fixed. I do not understand why this is not a recall item. I think this will be the last Chevy I purchase!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 262013

Impala

My wife and I were traveling North on pa route 15. We were on speed control at 55 mph. An error signal appeared on the dash board saying service trakcontrol a few seconds later a signal said--- losing engine power. I was able to get to a somewhat narrow shoulder in a few seconds before the engine died. I could not start the car. A called aaa and after 45 minutes was towed to a garage in dillsburg. Just before the tow truck arrived I was able to start the car. The mechanic tried to determine the cause and could not. I decided to drive on to my destination in. NJ the error signals appeared once more but I was able to pull into a service station and sit. I restarted car and drove to my destination. The next day I went to "rt 46 Chevrolet"in NJ three days later a new accelerator pedal was installed and I was able to drive to my home in NY state.. it was very scary to lose power on a hwy at 55 mph and I wonder about trusting the car!!!!!

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Nov 262013

Impala 6-cyl

The check engine light came in, then the stabilitrak light came on, then engine power reduced car stopped in the middle of traffic, could have been fatal. Waited car powered back on. A known issue in this model.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 082013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, reduce power in engine. Check stability trac, and lost acceleration. The car shut off in the middle of the freeway. Restared after a 10 minute wait. Check engine light was on, but now off. Happen from time to time.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 042013

Impala 6-cyl

My wife was driving on interstate and all of a sudden lights start flashing on dash board saying traction control, engine performance reduced and check engine light comes on. Car completely shuts down on major highway. GM needs to do something!!!! before someone seriously gets hurt or worse. Went to auto shop and they said it is the accelerator pedal sensor gone bad already at 56,103 ? I just bought the car, and only had it for 1 year. I will never buy anything GM makes or recommended there vehicles to family or friends this is ridiculous. Someone needs to care about public safety because obviously they do not. Please do a recall and save a life !!!!!

- Northport, AL, USA