2010 Chevrolet Impala miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 302016

My air bags keep making a loud noise every few minutes.

- Donna, TX, USA

Apr 112016

Engine power dropped significantly on a two lane hwy. Traveling at 60 mph. Almost got rear ended and experienced road rage from driver behind me. Scary. I then noticed a service traction control warning, and engine speed reduction notice. Cruise control would not function. This warning will clear itself but continues to occur. I took it to my mechanic several times and they can not identify it even when the warning and condition is active. Veh. Mileage 126700.

- Alma, WI, USA

Feb 022016

Gear will not go out of park. This issue has happened on numerous occasions and the car has to be towed. This is not safe as there is no warning and this can occur at any given time or place.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 242015

The vehicle was in motion about 45 miles an hr when it began to suddenly lose speed once it stopped I was able to coast it to the light. I cut the car off an it started back up. I didn't understand why it did that so I proceeded to find a near gas station.. it started to run again and I proceeded to go home when it did it again (lost speed while the engine was running) still don't know what the problem is had the alternator and battery checked and both are fine.. this was very dangerous!

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Oct 152015

As I was driving on a state route, alerts appeared for "service traction control" and then "service stabilitrak" followed by "engine power reduced". the engine light also came on. I pulled over and shut the car off, waiting a few minutes before restarting. The messages stopped, but the engine light was still on. I drove a few more miles and approached the on-ramp to the interstate. As I accelerated to merge onto the interstate, the same alerts came back on in addition to "starting disabled, service throttle". shortly thereafter, my car became completely disabled and shut down as I was on the interstate- the engine cut off, no power steering, no acceleration!! thankfully, I was able to safely pull off the side of the interstate. I had the vehicle towed and the car started right up and seems to run fine at the repair shop. Worried when and where it will happen again.

- Virden, IL, USA

Nov 112013

When you crank it up it sounds loud. As you press the gas it has rattling noise underneath the car. Loss of power you have to press the pedal down to the floor just to get up some speed. Using tons of gas. Has smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Strong odor of gas and rotten eggs. The catalytic converter is completely rusted out underneath.

- Hartsville, TN, USA

Jul 252015

The transmission shifter lever is stuck in park and the key is stuck in the ignition switch due to a very poor electrical design. The electrical wires attached to the connector that operates the solenoid that unlocks the transmission shifter button in the park position and that also connects to the ignition switch and operates various functions such as releasing the ignition key and allows the vehicle electrical system to be completely turned off, breaks off due to electrical wires being too short and the back and forth movement of the shifter. Checking the online blogs this is a known issue that has been happening on several GM vehicles for some time without any recalls despite constant customer complaints due to the very poor design. Some dealers have suggested leaving the key in the ignition switch and unlocking and locking the vehicle with the key fob. This invites vehicle theft and by not having the electrical system completely turned off, the battery runs down as the accessories and ignition is still turned on and the transmission lights on the instrument panel remains lighted. Some customers have had repeat reoccurrences after having the issue repaired at a cost of between $500 and $600. After inspecting the operation of the shifter and the affect it has on the electrical wiring it is obvious that the wiring will fail and in the blogs as early as whilst under warrantee. I am concerned if there are any other issues that may occur especially safety ones as there is 5 wires I do not know the function of each wire. Can you please investigate this issue.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 012012

My stability control light came on when I steered to the left. Steering was difficult in the vehicle and the steering wheel/ car shook at low speeds. Dealer was informed of steering noise after purchase of vehicle. Dealer did not recognize any issue. Rack and pinion was replaced at 50,000 by mechanic. Rack and pinion snapped at 90,000 leaving no steering ability in vehicle. Dealer and GM informed as this is a serious safety issue.

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

May 172015

On or about May 17, 2015, I received notice from the Chevrolet division of General Motors that my vehicle "may have a broken solder connection within the accelerator pedal position (app) sensor. This condition may result in reduced engine power and loss of traction control assist." According to them, I will know when my information center displays the warning and then they will be willing to correct their poor workmanship, but not until that time. GM goes on to inform me that I may be without my car for an extended length of time while they order parts and do repairs. I don't see why I should be the one who will be inconvenienced for their lack of proper workmanship. Furthermore, I feel there is a safety issue here also. GM needs to correct this problem before it causes needless harm to someone.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Dec 232014

Recently I took my 2010 Chevy Impala to be serviced for a loud ticking noise coming from the dash board by the air conditioner vents, by researching a little before I took it in to be serviced it was said to be a known problem for several years in these cars. I think this should be a recall. I explained that to him and he said because it is not a safety issue it is not considered for recall. I disagree the ticking comes out of know where it is loud and does not stop it could drive someone insane not to mention cause an accident because you are trying anything and everything to get it to stop. Sometimes it does but then starts right up again very stressful to say the least especially when it happens while you are driving. I feel that Chevrolet should have had this known actuator problem recalled and fixed several years ago when they knew and still know that it is a my oppinion it is a safety issue the loud ticking comes out of know where sometimes when you are driving it scares and startles potentially can cause an accident.this has been going on for years I think cheverolet should be held reponsible for this defect and not make the consumer pay for their problem with this car that has been since atleast 2008 and is still not fixed.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 162014

On 8/15/14 we came out to the vehicle and it would not start. No power at all and the key would not come out of it. Left the vehicle sit overnight and same thing in the morning on 8/16/14. We called and got a jump from a tow truck and drove the vehicle home. While traveling home on the interstate (70 mph), my husband noticed that when he turned the driving lights on the vehicle shut off. (luckily he knew what to do and managed to not kill all of us in the vehicle and anyone around the vehicle; (2 adults and 2 children in vehicle;) he also noticed that when he signaled a lane switch the cruise control would turn itself off. We got the vehicle back to our house, waited 15 minutes and tried restarting and the battery was completely dead again. (no dome light, bells or anything when opening the door). Since then, he has tried putting a different battery in it and we get the same results. When we got home we did a google search and found several others that this same thing has happened too. Luckily no one has been killed from it but it is extremely scary when your vehicle turns off doing 70 mph. I would also like to inform you that there was no warning whatsoever that the battery was low or there were any electrical complications going on with the vehicle. There is no voltage meter anywhere on the vehicle. No warning lights came on either.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 082014

Traction control, stabiltrak system engine light comes on reduced engine power, this has happen a lot over the couple months.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 262013

Impala 6-cyl

Every other week or so I get the "engine power reduced/ service stabiltrack/ service traction control" and the car will loose power. After an hour or so of sitting with the car off, it resets and the check engine light stays on until that eventually also resets. Today I was driving the same trouble codes came on and the car completely lost power I had no ability to accelerate, the power steering was disengaged it also mentioned something about the throttle body this time. Luckily I pulled into a nearby parking lot and the car reset after sitting for about an hour. This warning light and the reduced engine power has been an ongoing issue but I never lost complete power to the engine and steering light until today. This is an unacceptable issue that is ongoing with many GM owners. There needs to be a recall immediately!

- Wareham, MA, USA