2010 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Impala:

2010 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 142014

Car was checked out for electrical noise coming from the dashboard from Chevrolet dealer and said that the vehicle had a electrical problem within the dashboard area (part- air inlet recirculation valve, actuator) which is why we heard loud clicking noises, noises would at time continue even when the car was in off position. But three days later took the car to my trusted mechanic to have issue fixed (non-dealer) and mechanic noticed that the steering column was broken (part: Rack-and-pinion), and said that it has been this way for awhile. Mechanic showed me exactly what they saw and indeed the column was broken. Mechanic said that he is surprised we have not had an accident due to this issue and that we could have been killed or killed someone else and that it needs to be fixed asap.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Apr 012013

I own a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. I have had my housing gear replaced and other suspension items in the last year. Since my last major job (housing gear), the car has been making a click when turning the wheel and when going up hill. When the car is going uphill and shifting gears it make a click/pop sound. I have taken my car to the Chevy dealer and they constantly act as though they can not hear the sound, which makes it so easy for them to not repair. I have taken my car in for this over 5 times and leave with the problem still being. On two of those occasions they found other issues which resulted in the warranty paying for the problems. My warranty includes a $100 deductible. So I have paid a deductible to get one problem fixed and it has not been repaired to date. I am truly frustartaed, as I am not a mechanic and need my car fixed. I drive a toddler around daily. I feel insecure with my cars driveability. My car needs to be fixed.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Aug 202013

2010, Chevrolet Impala. On a routine trip to the bank, my steering wheel locked and my gear shift would not move into a drive position. The vehicle started fine, but would not go into gear. I took the console and gear shift lever apart and found a snapped wire in the wiring harness. After an exhaustive search, I found that the Impala has been experiencing this issue at least since 2006. The issue is allegedly caused by the constant movement of the gear shift lever, causing one or more of the wires in the harness to break. An investigation of the costly repair and on-going issue from Chevrolet is in order.

- Topton, PA, USA

Oct 152012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle made loud abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated to the contact that the pinion nut needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000. Updated 1/13/15

- Travels Rest , SC, USA

Nov 162010

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that power steering fluid had to be continuously added to the vehicle. In addition, the contact was driving at an unknown speed when the traction control and engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle independently decelerated to 20 mph and stalled. The vehicle was restarted within fifteen minutes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that power steering fluid was leaking internally and the rack and pinion would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not inspected for the stalling failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 32, 000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Oct 252012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting a left turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact heard a popping sound in the steering column. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Dec 282012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving to work, nearly at the end of a 50 mile trip, the car was functioning normally with no abnormal noises or indications of problems. I drove the car into the parking lot and was making a slight right turn, traveling at about 15 mph, when suddenly the car screeched to an immediate halt and stalled the engine. The sudden stop was violent and threw me against my seatbelt. I moved the gear selector lever from drive to park and restarted the engine without any trouble. The engine ran smooth and without any unusual noise. I put the car into drive, but it would not move and it made loud grinding and clunking sounds. I put the car in reverse, but still it would not move and again made loud noises. I put the car in neutral and a friend came over to help me push the car to a more safe area, but still the car would not move. Apparently the drivetrain was locked up and would not move, no matter what gear position the transmission was in. The car was later dragged on to a flatbed truck and taken to my local auto service center, where they determined the transmission was bad. The vehicle was then towed to my local Chevrolet dealer to be fixed under the GM 100,000mi/5 year powertrain warranty. I am very shaken up by this incident and fear what would have happen if the vehicles front wheels would have violently locked up like this at highway speeds. I fear the result would have been a total loss of control of the vehicle and possibly severe injury or even death to myself and others. I hope GM and the NHTSA investigate this incident and find the cause of the transmission failure with the goal of preventing this from happening again before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Cream Ridge, NJ, USA

Oct 222010

Impala 6-cyl

I had purchased a 2010 Chevrolet Impala in July, 2010. The first attempt at repair of the front end vibration was on 10/22/2010. The dealership did not recognize the vibration. The vehicle tires were rotated on 01/26/11 in an attempt to stop the vibration in the front end. The vehicle was taken in on 03/18/11 for front end noise (thump) while turning the wheels. The vehicle was taken in on 07/07/11 for the thumping noise in the front end while turning the wheels. The vehicle was taken in on 07/28/11 for a front end thumping noise when turning the wheels. The vehicle was taken in on 08/16/11 for a front end thumping noise and the dealership notices the tires were wearing slightly cupped on the inside edge. The vehicle was taken in on 09/08/11 for a whining noise from the engine bay and power steering fluid was flushed. The vehicle was taken in on 04/09/12 for front end thumping noise, wheel bearing, transmission surge, and whine noise from radio. The vehicle was taken in on 06/27/12 for rough idle, tire replacement, transmission. The vehicle was taken in on 07/27/12 for rough idle, transmission surge, thump noise in front end and whine noise in radio. The vehicle was taken in on 10/05/12 for transmission surge, rough idle, thump noise in front end, and whine noise in radio. The outcome at this point is the dealership tried to reprogram the vehicle, GM approved replacement of all four tires, a replacement of the power steering pump, wheel bearing on driver front side. The dealerships have done two throttle body cleanings. The dealership has stated they will replace the rotors but GM would not approve replacement only turning on the rotors. This case has been opened with the better business bureau whom advised me to contact NHTSA. GM refuses to replace parts because their computer system cannot tell them what is wrong with the vehicle. GM has recalled the police vehicles for front end suspension and has a lawsuit pending in Michigan for personal vehicle.

- Herrin, IL, USA

Aug 272011

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate the transmission slip. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. In addition, the contact mentioned that he believed that the rack and pinion, and the front struts were faulty as well. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Brunswick, ME, USA

Jun 132012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving and the car shut off. No brakes, no power steering, nothing.....I coasted to the side of the road, put it in park, took the key out of the ignition, put it back in and the car started. Now I am scared to put my 5 month old in the car because it is not safe.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

May 162012

Impala 6-cyl

I was making a right hand turn on a surface road when vehicle suddenly lost power steering assist. Dealer service department diagnosed as no pressure from power steering pump. It was determined that shaft had broken on the pump. Installed power steering pump kit (06605-C) and new shaft. Replaced power steering fluid.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Dec 132011

Impala 6-cyl

My 2010 Chevrolet Impala has only 43, 279 miles and began making a loud high pitched screeching noise while accelerating. After two visits to two separate mechanics it was determined both times that a new power steering pump was needed. Both mechanics were in shock due to the failure as the amount of miles on the car. I contacted GM customer care as I was sure this was still under warranty. Much to my surprise this is not under warranty. I have had this car 1 year and 3 months and for this to fail I am not a happy Chevrolet owner. GM told me I could have it repaired and then wait for them to make a decision on whether I 'qualified' for assistance. In this economy and at this time of the year who has time to pay up front and wait for them to make a decision.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Power steering pump failed on brand new car. This makes the fourth time. Car purchased 4dec10 1st failure 25mar11 2nd failure 19april11 3rd failure 18may11.

- Georgia, GA, USA

Oct 172010

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to slowly and abnormally drift to the right. The contact had to abruptly hold the steering wheel and pull to the left in order to control the steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a front alignment was performed yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a second time and the tires were rotated. The contact continued to experience the failure and took the vehicle back to the dealer where the tires were replaced but to no avail. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that because they were unable to diagnose the failure, they could not provide any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Webster, NY, USA