2014 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Impala:

2014 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Nov 302015

Impala

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle was involved in a front end collision. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and then to the body shop. The vehicle was not deemed destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact suffered back, neck, and head bruises that required medical attention. In addition, the contact had four bruised vertebrae. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Apr 152015

Impala 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 30 mph, the ABS light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who diagnosed and replaced the left magnetic ring, which had detached from the vehicle. While driving approximately 30 mph again, the ABS light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the same dealer who diagnosed and replaced the passenger side hub assembly, which fell off. The vehicle was fully repaired. The failure mileage was 41,500. Updated 09/18/15

- Gaylord, MI, USA

Mar 262015

Impala

Heavy rain. Skidded on pavement (black top) hit concrete utility pole, air bad did not deploy, hit nose on steering wheel.

- Weeki Wachee, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Impala

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the brakes were engaged and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. No injuries were reported and a police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

The passenger air bag sensor is not working right. There is no person in the seat, or object and the light says the passenger air bag is on. Sometimes the chime goes off for the non-occupant to put on their seatbelt, but most the time it does not. I have had it back to the dealer 2 times. The first time, they said they check the sensor's 'readings' and there was zero information from it. That was all that was done. The second time I took the car in they said they fixed it and on the ride home and everyday since then, the light is on for the airbag with no occupant. Also, the second time I took it in was because of water/mold damage to the entire bottom inside of my trunk because of the recall of the tail light gasket. I was given a loaner car the 10 days they had mine and the trunk of that 2014 Impala was full of water in the spare tire area and mold on the top of trunk carpeting. I am afraid that the passenger airbag may not deploy in an accident.

- Bethel, OH, USA

Nov 212013

Impala

At 55 mph on a slippery right hand side curve (speed limit is 65 mph) vehicle under-steered and lost traction completely, without touching the brakes, it started to slow down and skidded to the outside of the curve (to the left). I tried to get it back to the driving lane, it started to skid laterally to the right and slowed down until it hit a reflector post on the edge of the right lane and stopped. Vehicle information on the dash board read "ice detected...". although the damage on the right door was a very minor dent, the car deployed all 4 head curtain airbags and 2 right side airbags, engine was shut down and front seat-belts were stuck. Few minutes later, the engine ran normally with the "ice detected.." message still on. It seems that the airbags sensors were activated for no required reason for a minor dent on the door. Also, the stability and the faulty braking system might be of a great safety issue on this vehicle.

- Laramie, WY, USA

Sep 102013

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased my new 2014 Chevrolet Impala from hawthorne Chevrolet in hawthorne, N.J. some four (4) months ago. I am the sole owner and driver of this vehicle. Last week (around September 11, 2013) I noticed a crack in the vinyl toward the right of the gold colored Chevrolet bow tie positioned in the center of the steering wheel area. The crack is a semi-circular line that has a slight depression to the immediate left of the crack. I immediately drove it to the hawthorne Chevrolet and the very next day, they replaced the steering wheel air bag for me. This part includes the "rigid" black surface vinyl where you activate the horn. The horn takes an extraordinary amount of pressure to activate to make a sound due to the rigidity of the vinyl--where the horn icons (I.e., the raised "trumpets") are is extremely non yielding--in my opinion. I left the dealership after the replacement air bag was installed and 1/10 of a mile away, I noticed the slight depression and line demarcation already. Hawthorne Chevrolet's service director told me to return the following day and after a 2-1/2 hour wait the service director and a mechanic walked me out to another 2014 Chevrolet Impala and stated that all of their Impala are like this. I am worried about unpredictable steering wheel air bag deployment, difficulty in sounding my horn as I do much of my traveling on a busy/dangerous highway, and I worry about future/continued cracking of that vinyl surface covering where I am told by hawthorne Chevrolet's service director is where the air bag deploys. Again...the car is only 4 months old with only 2,200 miles when this cracking first occurred. I am worried that where this crack is located the air bag could exit. I contacted Chevrolet's national customer service and there are 2 active service request numbers relating to the crack and the horn sounding matter.

- Saddle River, NJ, USA