$3,000.00

1. replace head gasket (2 reports)
1997 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Chevrolet Malibu:

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Mar 112008

Malibu LS V6

My Malibu has had 3 engines, 3 alternators, and I'm not sure what all else it has had during the 11 years I've had it. I bought it used and thought I was getting a gem, I got a gem alright. Everytime it gets just a degree over the hot mark you have ruined your engine or blown the head gasket and it's time for a new one? I can't keep buying large items like that. I wish Chevy would have done something different to those cars but I think it was a rush job to get them made and they were made very cheaply but they are not cheap to maintain. No, I will not buy another Chevy product. I will go with a foreign car, it seems like they get it right.

- , Bush, LA, USA

Aug 282008

Malibu LS 3.1L V6

At 76,000 miles the head gasket on this 3.1L V6 that is in my 1997 Malibu LS has gone. It was driven by an old lady, and NEVER DOGGED ON. This is a huge problem with this engine, as there are tons of reports of the same issue. Apparently I got lucky because the average life of the head gaskets in this car only last till about 67,000 miles! WHATS UP WITH THIS, CHEVY?! WHERE'S THE RECALL?!

- , Milton, FL, USA