1998 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu:

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 152007

Anti theft system malfunction in my 1998 Chevy Malibu has caused turmoil and hardships. The system malfunctions regularly and strands me in not so safe places. It is much more dangerous to sit in my car in a dark parking lot then to have it stolen. Sometimes after the 10 minute wait, the ignition still doesn't turn over, and im waiting another 10 minutes, and then again. Last night it took 4 hours for it to go off. Needless to say I was very late for work. I have read thousands of complaints on this issue, and this should be recalled. It is dangerous to Chevy's consumers, a horrible engineering idea, and they should be ashamed of themselves for not recalling this dangerous issue.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Mar 312004

While driving 20 mph and making a left turn steering wheel locked up. Driver applied the brakes and pedal went to the floor. Driver lost control of the vehicle and hit a rock. The driver was not hurt. The vehicle was towed by triple L towing. Consumer's daughter in law heard news of GM recalling 88,000 vehicles for a power steering defect, and relayed the news to consumer. Consumer contacted GM regarding the news and was informed that vehicle is included on the list. Also, GM said that they would send an inspector to check on to the vehicle. Consumer also reported information to her insurance carrier.

- Halifax, PA, USA

Mar 262001

I have a anti-theft lock that came with the vehicle, I have been stuck several times due to the anti-theft going on and I cannot start the car for atleast 20 min. At a time. I have been late for work and appointments also. I need to know should I try to take vehicle in to remove anti-theft, if possible, if I the owner with the key cannot start the car I guess a theft would have a hard time also. So in one way I like the feature. Would like to know if this is a standard feature in these vehicles" and if it is worth having"

- Callahan, FL, USA