6.7

2000 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu:

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 012011

Malibu

I saw MANY other people with the exact same problem as my aunts car (she is 91 years old, so her problem is also my problem plus a 50 mile round-trip). It seems that there is no solution- the 'anti-theft device' recognizes the car key as a 'foreign' key due to wear and tear on the interior of the tumblers or the actual key, and locks you out. I have read 4 alleged fixes to the problem: 1). Putting powdered graphite into the ignition keyhole- allegedly worked fine. 2). Blow out keyhole with compressed air can- same as above. 3). Turn to 'on' position and wait 5 mins- same as above. 4). Cut the yellow wire- 3 say it worked fine 1 said it caused more problems.- what I need to know is which yellow wire are we talking about, the ignition wiring I'm guessing.

Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

Finally, I agree with one guy who wants to start a class-action against Chevrolet. Lets do it!

- , Tequesta, FL, USA

Aug 172008

Malibu

Well It Looks Like I'm Not the only one with this problem, and I'm kinda glad to hear its common.

Well I bought the car in October of 2007 with just about 84,000 miles on it. When I test drove the car, It had they keypad for an alarm but when I bought the car, the was no longer a key pad. Thinking nothing of it, I left it, but when I got a dead battery, thats when It came into question. Taking the battery out, the alarm started going off. With no way of turning it off, i just let it run its course but eventually got pissed and unplugged the wire for the sound. The next day I got a new battery and thats when the problems started. Every time I opened the door, the alarm would go off without any sound. The lights would just flash and even when I started the car they'd still flash even as i kept driving. Eventually they'd turn off, but then they'd come on again. It was annoying the have the lights flash everytime the door opened. As of right now, I have not found a fix, and even emailed the dealer about it and they said nothing can be done. I should have just gotten a Toyota...

- , Long Island, NY, USA

Jan 212004

Malibu LS

I spent a very long time in the sub zero temps disconnecting the battery so the horn will stop sounding and the lights will stop blinking. I'am cold an deaf now. Nothing in the book on how too shut it off,I didn't know the dam car had an Alarm.

- , Southampton, MA, USA