1.9

2000 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu:

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Mar 282003

Malibu

Previously submitted this report/complaint on this site, to GM and to the ftc around 2004 with no response. The Chevrolet Malibu from 2000 has similar ignition and engine issues now reported on the news in the cobalt and other cars. Owner had to replace the intake manifold several times, the ignition, starter, key system, idle control valve, and other parts numerous times due to the car engine smoking, "turning off" or not starting after stopping, parking, and not starting upon inserting the key, idling high or timing off. This began within 2-3 years of owning the car. The engine light came on when driving or starting the car. Multiple times the security light would blink and owner would have to wait 15 minutes to turn it on. GM even has this listed in the manual (in security feature/lock system). Owner first told it was due to problems with the engine, then key, then it was a security programming issue, then it was the intake manifold (not covered under warranty for some reason). Some of the repairs cost hundreds of dollars and costs for towing. Eventually the car will not start at all and it must be reprogrammed, worked on by dealer. The Malibu and other cars such as Saturn have this issue. May be related to the engine and ignition issue mentioned in the news. At times owner was stuck far from home and had to tow the car. Highway driving was nerve wracking because you never knew what the car would do. There are hundreds of internet complaints about the Malibu from 2000 and onward related to engine and ignition failures.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Apr 152013

Malibu

While driving, ignition switch failed causing the engine to stop with loss of power steering, brakes, etc. Failure was intermittent and required repeated service calls to identify the source of problem as the ignition switch.

- Midland, MI, USA

Oct 112011

Malibu

Early in 2011 I started having difficulties with my 2000 Malibu. The problem was that the check engine light would appear randomly on the dashboard. After a few moments it would disappear. It began staying on longer and longer so I took it to a local Chevrolet dealer. They checked it out, couldn┐┐T find anything specific, and told me I should have them put in a new computer. This cost approximately $550 after the repair a new symptom began to appear: Spontaneous engine stalling coupled with loss of steering control. Attempts to restart the car resulted in no engine cranking. I found that after waiting for a while the car would start again and be fine. At one point we were travelling at freeways speeds on the New Jersey turnpike. My daughter was driving and my two young granddaughters were in the back seat. Suddenly the engine stalled as described above. It was frightening, but we were able to coast to the side of the road safely. We sat for a few moments on the shoulder of the freeway, trying to figure out if we were going to be stranded. After a few tries, the car started up okay and we continued to our destination. When we arrived at the hotel parking lot, it repeated this behavior. We completed our journey and got home safely. A few days later I tried to start the car but it was completely dead. I contacted the same Chevrolet dealership who sent a tow truck to fetch us and the vehicle. Once at the dealership, one of the mechanics quickly suggested that it might be the ignition switch. The dealership replaced the ignition switch and charged me over $400. I am a senior citizen and the repair bills were a lot for me to handle.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 042013

Malibu

Bought this car as a project car with low mileage. Got bought at a used car dealership. Piston slap!!! especially cold. Front sub frame rotted out and rack and pinion destroyed needed immediate replacement. Later was told rocker panels are destroyed with huge holes I was clearly upset another Malibu with another problem. Common problem with Malibu's from '98-'02. Was unable to safety because of panels missing a layer in spots (holes). Rear quarter panels severe rotting around wheel wells and gas cap area requiring bondo to fill in holes a horrible problem with Malibu's. air conditioning clutch grinding constantly and half the time A/C bottom works. Sadly GM will not recall these issues now have to invest $7000 to make into a show car. GM should be ashamed of body problems and constant piston slaps and lifter knocking. I have to do an overhaul of $600-800 on engine. Pathetic GM link to the piston slap on my car on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=mnttrctq5mm&feature=youtube_gdata_player.

- Camden, AR, USA

Mar 152013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was traveling to brighton, co from ft. Morgan, co to seller my 2000 Chevy Malibu. Our intended purpose was to take the funds from the sell and pick up 1996 Chevy S10. Prior to this trip my car had difficulties starting but never failed to start after several attempts. The car engine stalled coming off of the off ramp at around 30 mph. When the car stalled I had to manually steer the vehicle to get it to the shoulder of the road (I just had carpool tunnel surgery and it was painful to do so). After about 2 minutes I attempted to restart the car and it restarted after about the forth attempt at turning the key on waiting 30 seconds for the fuel pump and then turning the key over the rest of the way. After about 2 city blocks the car stalled again going around 20 mph. This time it took much longer before the car would start again. About 25 minutes, we let the engine cool and again it took several attempts to turn the motor over but it final did start. It traveled about a mile and stalled again going about 5 mph. This time we let the car sit for an hour and re attempted to start it. It went another mile and stalled again. We contacted a mechanic who suggested it may be the fuel regulator or the fuel pump. We have replaced the regulator and that did not work we have tested the fuel pump and it is working fine. I have read several documents involving this issue and I am still no closer to figuring out what the problem is. I only know I am not the only one having this issue. This car also has a faulty check engine light and does not appear to be over heating when it stalls. The theft light comes on intermittently but I have check the VIN on my car with Chevy and there is no recall for my car. Why is this happening at 115K. This could be very dangerous and I have half a mind to call a news station. I'm sure Chevy would love the new advertising. Please fix.

- Log Lane Village, CO, USA