2001 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Jul 052009

Malibu

Theft system on car occasionally kicks in, preventing starting for 10 minutes or more. This happens when I put in key quickly to start car. Usually I can remember to insert the key, let it register, and then turn the ignition. The first couple of times it happened I didn't know the problem and had it towed. The dealer fixed it once, said it was warranty work, the next time a mechanic put in a new ignition system which helped for a while.

- Carmi, IN, USA

Mar 042009

Malibu

Problems with the passlock theft system. First problem with it two years ago. Now, the passlock is not allowing my car to start at least once a day. I have to put the key "on" for ten minutes then "off" before restarting it. My biggest concerns are "what if I was rushing out the door to take one of my children to the hospital and now I have to wait 10 minutes to start my car". this is not acceptable. I know this system is a problem for many GM owners (just looking it up on the web shows me all the problems). I think too common of a failure that a recall on this product should be considered. Disabling this feature could also be an affordable way for consumers to "fix" the problem, especially us who were forced to have the "theft deterrent" in our car.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Feb 252009

Malibu

I purchased a 2001 Chevy Malibu used. There are times the car will not start. I come back in 10-15 minutes and it starts right up. This occurs about every other day, I also many others have reported this same issue.

- Roland, AR, USA

Feb 162009

Malibu

Trying to find out if the recall parts have been fixed on my 2001 Malibu and its hard to get any one to respond.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Feb 012009

Malibu

2001 Chevrolet Malibu pass key system will engage much of the time. My wife has to leave the key on for ten minutes plus before the anti-theft light will go out and the car will start. Dealer wants to keep replacing the ignition switch to fix the system but it never does go away.

- Decatur , IL, USA

Jan 102009

Malibu

Anti-theft system prevents car from starting. Car has slightly over 100,00 miles on it and suddenly recurring problems with the anti-theft system prevented the car from starting. Initially turning the key to on and letting the anti-theft system reset fixed the problem but it kept getting worse until now when the anti-theft light remains on and nothing will make it go off. In researching this I've discovered it is a common complaint for 2001 Chevrolet Malibu ls owners and very expensive to fix. Chevrolet is not supporting this issue through a recall and they should.

- Aitkin, MN, USA

Jan 162009

Malibu

I own a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. I have had the passlock sensor replaced 5 or 6 time over the life of the vehicle. I returned my car today to a dealer for the same issue and now they want $700+ to replace the body control module. In the last six months I have had the vehicle there 3 times and this is the first time that anyone has mentioned that the BCM is causing the problem. I want GM to cover the cost which the dealer refused to do. Even after the passlock sensor is replaced, the issue starts up again within 3 to 4 months.

- Essex, MD, USA

Feb 152007

Malibu

Electrical: It all started 2/2007... there was a recall on the 2001 Chevy Malibu for turn signal/hazard light defect. I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and I had experienced the exact same problems. I contacted GM and they indicated that my VIN number was not in the recall and therefore will not reimburse me for the cost of having my turn signals/hazard lights repaired. There is a ticking noise that is off and on, sometimes lasting 3 minutes. Then in 5/2008... the following happens at the same time: The car does start the fuel gauge says I am empty, radio will not work, A/C and heater will not work. My daytime lights will not turn on, along with my windows, and cruise control. This is sporadic, but happens at least once a day; sometimes more.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 182008

Malibu

Theft system keeps failing this is the 4 th attempt to fix it. No warning that is going to happen car just won't start. This car has left me stranded 3 times twice at night.

- Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Aug 252008

Malibu

The car will start fine, but once you turn it off and go to start again it will just crank. The first time I replaced the fuel pump. The second time I repaced spark plugs and wires. The third time I didn't know what else to change and a friend said to try putting the key in the on position for 10 mins. I did and it started right up. It turns out the ant-theft system keeps locking me out about every month. It is a major pain to have to be somewhere and not know when the car will start or not, and then sit there for ten mins to reset it.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Sep 112008

Malibu

Car will not start - theft system light comes on. I have tried the passlock "fix" of turning key to on for 10 minutes, shutting off and trying to restart but no luck on the car starting. The issue has gone on for over 3 weeks, each day getting worse and worse. I have taken the car to a shop and diagnostics came up negative and car started. 3 weeks later, car won't start again. Have a mechanic come look at it, he sees nothing wrong with it except that the fuel ignition isn't working - probably because of the passlock theft system!!

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 092007

2001 Chevy Malibu.

- Coucil Bluffs, IA, USA

Sep 192007

Malibu 6-cyl

2001 Chevy Malibu..theft system light goes on several time a year and will eventually cause the car not to start and require a tow and various types of ignition/starter types of replacements. This has cost me a lot of money, lost time at work and concern for my safety and my families safety when driving the car and not knowing when it will not start and we'll be stranded. Updated 12-12-07. Updated

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 052007

Malibu

Electrical problems, with anti theft lock switch, kill switch, hazard and signal lights.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jun 272007

Malibu 6-cyl

2001 Malibu. Theft system light comes on constantly. Atleast 1X a week. I have followed teh turn to acc until light shuts off, turn off and then try and start, but this is time consuming. Now when the car does start the fuel gauge says I am empty, radio will not work, acc and heater will not work and if and when it kicks on the car makes a weird sound.

- Sauk Rapids, MN, USA

Mar 152007

Malibu 6-cyl

Vehicle was fairly cool having only traveled about a mile from home. After being stopped at a busy intersection, my car died while accelerating into the intersection. After I stopped the vehicle and switched on my hazard lights, I was able to restart the vehicle without a problem. Had this been a time when my vehicle wouldn't start for 10 minutes, this could have created a major traffic problem. Fortunately, no one was injured.

Mar 142007

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle later the same day after the previous incident I reported. Car was fairly cool. As I approached a turn, the vehicle died leaving me without power steering. I came very close to having an accident. Fortunately, no one was injured. After I brought the car to a stop and turned on my hazard lights I was able to restart the vehicle without incident.

Mar 142007

Malibu 6-cyl

Vehicle was fairly cold as it had only been running for about 1.5 miles. As vehicle was leaving the I64 eastbound at the oakland exit in St. Louis it died. Car lost power steering. After I was able to get the car in park, I was able to restart it with no problems. Fortunately there were no injuries. Unfortunately, several cars behind me had to wait as I fixed the problem. Had the car not restarted, as it does regularly, this could have created a major problem on the interstate.

Mar 022007

Malibu 6-cyl

A few miles after the car wouldn't start, the car dies in the middle of an intersection during accelerating after a stop. Lost power steering. Vehicle restarted immediately after I got the car in park.

Feb 202001

Malibu

2001 Chevy Malibu died while driving. Engine didn't sputter or anything, the electrical system just switched the car off causing a loss of power steering while driving. Car was fairly cold as it had only been running for a few minutes. Specifically it died in the middle of an intersection during acceleration after a stop.