3.3

2001 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012007

Malibu

Why wasn't there a recall done" www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html the Chevy dexcool issue has been going on forever and according to this there was a settlement but there is no recall. How does this happen. I've got a leaky intake manifold gasket and no way to cover the cost. Not only that but because I was never told of the results of this lawsuit I've missed the time to repair and file. What's the deal and how come there isn't a recall"

- Albany, OR, USA

Jul 012007

Malibu

We had purchased a 2001 Chevy Malibu ls in 2004, it had 28,922 mileage. On July 1st 2004, had 28,959 miles, the engine light kept coming on so we brought it to forest city to get it checked out, they found the reservoir low and topped it off, they said no visible coolant leaks! on July 12th 2007 we had brought it back to quirk ( which was forest city) they said that the lower intake manifold caskets were leaking coolant, they wanted $879 to fix it (mileage 46,495). We got it fixed by a certified mechanic for $370 on july27,2007. Now we had a 20 point inspection done onjanuary 29th 2007 and quirk said that we need intake manifold caskets again!, with only 9,953, after the first time they went, ( milage 56,248). I have talked to quirk and they said they would take 10% off the $695 price to fix it, so I talked to GM and they said it wasn't there problem but would take 25% off. If it wasn't there problem then why would they do that? when I asked them why I wasn't contacted about the dex cool problem, they had no answer. I have checked a lot of web sites and this is happening over and over again to people. Why can't something be done about this. I don't feel that I should have to pay for something that GM is responsible for. I hope that you can help all of us, that are having this and other problems. Thank you for listening.

- Westbrook, ME, USA

Feb 212009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the lower intake gasket, located near the water pump, was leaking water and antifreeze. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would overheat and water would leak out. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop and the mechanic stated that the lower intake gasket needed to be repaired at the cost of $695. The dealer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 149,130.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Apr 012007

Malibu

Have a 01 Chevy Malibu whose lower intake have been replaced twice. Have 53 other people who also have the same problem with lower intake and many more to come.

Aug 012007

Malibu

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu with a 3.1 liter engine and I have had to replace the intake gasket once because it leaked oil into the antifreeze and antifreeze into the oil. It was a problem that I did not know existed with this motor" I found out a short time later that the damage was extensive and had to put a motor with 30,000 miles into my car. That was 1year ago last August and as of today September 5th I have the same problem with this motor and I'm going to have to replace the intake gasket again. How can I get this replaced at General Motors cost, rather than mine again" I know of many others that have the same problem that I do.

- Grass Lake, MI, USA

Mar 012008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact took the vehicle to the mechanic for routine maintenance and he stated that there was a leak in the intake valve. The dealer and another mechanic inspected the vehicle and diagnosed the same failure. The dealer repaired the vehicle and the contact stated that she would like to be reimbursed. The current mileage was 95,000 and failure mileage was 94,800.

- Columbia Heights, MN, USA

Aug 252007

Malibu 6-cyl

I have twice replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. Both times it has started as a slow seep from the end of the engine on the drivers side. At first we didn't have any puddles, just a low fluid indicator alarm. Then we had intermittant puddles. The latest occurence included a catastrophic failure with about an half a gallon of fluid into the engine, and it was 200 miles from home. We were fortunate that we were not driving when the failure was discovered, so we didn't have to replace the engine. The first repair occured in January 2005 at 101K miles, this one in August 07 with 144K miles. The first repair was done at an asce shop and cost $700, this one was at a dealer and cost $1200. I described the incident to another mechanic, and his first question was, "GM car?" it is quite common and well known to mechanics.

- Zillah, WA, USA

Aug 132007

Malibu 6-cyl

Car initially wouldn't start, would only turn over. Car would die in traffic at highway speeds with no warning requiring trying to coast to a safe place out of traffic if possible with a severe potential to be hit from behind even with hazard lights on. Car towed to chev dealership. Dealership replaced intake manifold gasket. Tech said gasket was leaking causing engine to hydrolock. Third time driving the car since repair, car died in traffic again on freeway. Car is setting at dealership again waiting for technician to diagnose since obviously the $1200 repair just completed didn't solve the problem.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Apr 282007

Malibu 6-cyl

I own a 2001 Chevy Malibu and out of the blue one day my engine just shut down right on the interstate. I have not yet had it checked due to finance problems. Not only that I also have to change my wheel bearings every week to two weeks. I have had this checked and the garage I take it to for all my repairs can't seem to figure it out either. Please help thank you, Mrs. Sparks

- Dille, WV, USA

Sep 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

: the contact stated when the vehicle was started, the check engine light illuminated. When an oil change was performed by an independent service dealer, a coolant leak was found on the engine next to the intake gasket. A second opinion was sought at another independent service dealers and when the leak was confirmed, the vehicle was taken to a service dealer and the manufacturer was notified. The contact continued to add coolant to the vehicle. The interior of the windows were coated by the coolant vapor, entering the vehicle through the ventilation system.

Oct 272006

Malibu 6-cyl

: the contact stated a puddle was noticed under the engine. The dealership determined there was a faulty intake gasket. A new gasket needed to be installed.

Dec 152005

Malibu 6-cyl

5 mos after purchasing car, the transmission had to be replaced. A few months later the engine would shut off while driving on the road. The following parts have been replaced: Ignition module, spark plugs, fan belt, water pump, knock sensor, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft sensor, ignition switch.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Aug 232006

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2001 Malibu is starting to over heat and leak coolant from the engine. I have to keep putting coolant in constantly. I went to a mechanic, he stated it was a known problem but Chevrolet/GM will not recall the problem. I have a real problem because I don't feel that I should have to pay $600 for a known problem and it should be recalled. I was thinking about buy a new Chevy, but after this issue I will never buy an american car again!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 172005

Malibu 6-cyl

5/05 coolant leak- replace intake manifold gasket $1100 8/05 coolant leak(continued)- replace head gasket, completely replace the air conditioning unit-$1085 1/06 replace egr valve, solenoid, gaskets $435 I've been around cars all my life, my father was a mechanic. My point is that I know if you take care of a car it will last longer. I take very good care of this car and I know gaskets should not deteriorate the way these did. Looking at the reports on mycarstats.com it appears to me that what ever material was used for the gaskets in this car must be defective. There are way too many complaints for this to be any thing else. Maintaining my car is a priority for me as I am disabled. To have a mechanical breakdown is a major issue. This cars engine was unable to maintain compression because of the leaky gaskets. It kept stalling repeatedly, I feel putting my safety at risk. I have tried to work this out with the dealership but it's clear to me what their priority is and it's not me or my car. I believe there should be an investigation into this matter. I have been told that the gasket material they used in this model was different from other years. I believe this is a bigger problem than GM is ready to admit.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 142006

Malibu 6-cyl

After driving approximately 20-30 minutes, car will surge, and then stall. After waiting a few minutes the car will start and go another 15 min or so. This has happened on multiple occasions, and after multiple repairs. The last incident occurred on a busy bridge with no hazard lane; a police officer pushed me off the bridge with his squad car. I have replaced the alternator, fuel filter, & fuel relay. After each repair I was assured that the problem was corrected. After each repair the problem occurred again. I have taken it to two mechanics and they have not been able to find any problems.

- Carrabelle, FL, USA

May 272006

Malibu 6-cyl

3.11 GM V6 engine has a common problem of a notable intake manifold gasket leak, which oil and coolant system contaminates one or the other or both. Had to get an extreme engine flush and further diagnosis and repair is needed.

- Portage, MI, USA

May 242006

Malibu 6-cyl

: the contact stated the engine hot light illuminated and the antifreeze was replaced to remedy the problem. When engine hot light illuminated again and the antifreeze was replaced a second time. On the third occurrence, the vehicle was taken to the dealership where it was determined the head gasket was blown which caused the antifreeze to get into the oil. The head gasket was replaced.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 112006

Malibu 6-cyl

Six months into driving our new Malibu a intake manifold develop a slow leak of antifreeze. In the winter more aggressive in the summer slower. Yet it increased gradually over the next few years. I found out this is a common manufacturing problem. The leak grew so bad that it had to be repaired this month. The leaking antifreeze is not only a danger to the parts in the engine compartment but also the environment. This is a poorly manufactured part and GM should stand behind the repairs. The total cost to put a properly manufactured gasket with labor is $ $691.25.

- Winfield, IL, USA

May 082006

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2001 Chevy Malibu has started leaking coolant. The low coolant light has come on, gone off, come on and gone off. When I check the reserve, the level is so low it's empty. After purchasing, so far 6 gallons, of dexcool and mixing it according to the directions each time, the coolant lasted a shorter and shorter period of time. The temp. Warning light began flashing and ringing, then went off and the temp went down. I took it to Firestone, where I just had the car inspected. Now I'm being told that the manifold intake gasket is bad and the repairs will cost me $1023 after doing research on the problem, it seems that GM has been aware of this problem with the plastic gaskets for some time. Does someone have to die due to an overheated engine, a catastrophic engine failure before GM will recall and fix this problem" or is this how Mr. Goodwrench can make so many repairs and advertise about how many cars they fix and man hours they work" I loved this car! I bought it with 5 miles on it(4 of which I put on during the test drive.) a 2001 with only 45K miles" am I the only one who sees that this is a manufacturing issue and that GM should stop issuing "private" notices and recall the cars for proper parts & servicing"

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 172005

Malibu 6-cyl

Our 2001 Malibu developed a coolant leak and in may of 05. The dealer replaced the upper intake gasket and said it was fixed. The engine would not maintain compression and kept stalling. I am disabled and I felt there was a safety issue. After 3 or 4 trips to the dealer without results I took the car to another mechanic who pointed out that it was the head gasket that was leaking. I am out a lot of money for a car that's not very old. After reading the other complaints from other Malibu owners I am convinced there must be a defect with these gaskets. I have also had to have the air conditioner completely replaced as well. I don't know if one has any thing to do with the other but it was at the same time. Now my heater won't turn off so it's over riding the air conditioner. Because of all of these repairs I have over $1000 in rental car expenses. This is a matter of safety as far as I'm concerned.

- Portland, OR, USA