2001 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jul 012002

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The driver side floor mat slides back and forth. The floor mat blocks both the accelerator and brake pedals. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer. The failure mileage was 12,000 and current mileage was 41,000. Updated 3/5/08 the consumer stated the problem persists unless mats are repositioned with each entry and dealer advised consumer no other complaints about the defect. The consumer further stated to buy new mats at the tune of $48 to solve the problem. Updated 03/05/08

- Louisville , KY, USA

Jul 282007

Malibu 6-cyl

Was driving car just pulled off from a red light making a left turn and car started to pull forward then could not steer myself went off road almost into trees then jerked itself left pulling back to road and onto oncoming traffic then stopped was able to drive home slowly w/ hazards on. 2nd incident was driving and car started to pull /jerk forward fast tried to put on brakes and was very difficult to bring car to a stop almost felt like was not going to stop w/all my pressure applying to brakes was still hard to stop car. All 4 incidents were similar in that car kind of took off on it's own and was not controllable as far as steering or braking. This car is in local Chevrolet dealership for last few days for them to find/correct this problem our daughter is driving this car and it's not safe right now for her to drive. The dealership can not find the problem. First they thought anti lock brakes had a glitch, or the transmission, but car is not doing this when they take for short drives and they can not pin point this problem.,but there is most certainly a problem. I do not want my child to get hurt or worse driving this vehicle B/C no one can detect the problem. Also car had a burning rubbery/like a belt smell before at least 2 of these incidents. All belts check out ok. No problems. I have a relative that had a chev van that in last year or so car basically took off on it's own at a speed of 50mph. Could not stop vehicle was putting all weight pressure on brake car finally came to a stop. Prob wound up being a computer chip in transmission triggered the cruise control computer chip transmission had to be changed. Please check into this to see if related to our issue. Thank you.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Nov 282003

Malibu 6-cyl

My husband got in our 2001 Malibu backed it up, put it into drive, barely touched the accelerator, the car immediately took off in high throttle he could not figure out what was causing the acceleration next thing he knew the car was underneath his Chevrolet 4-wheel drive with a 6 inch lift kit. Car then pushed truck approximately 3 to 6 feet into a nearby oak tree causing car to be totaled truck to receive extreme damage as well. He called the police & reported the accident. I contacted GM they sent an investigator out to investigate the problem with the cars accelerator. The investigator hooked a computer up to the car that was supposed to record the last 5 seconds before impact, took some pictures, started the car to listen to the motor (he stated the car was stuck in high acceleration) moved some things under the hood (the gas cable) a loud clicking noise was made then the car was once again started & was fine. Three days later I received a call from GM advising me that the results found were that they were not responsible. I in turn asked for a copy of all information that was used in determining this decision including a copy of the pictures that were taken as well. I was told that the pictures were the property of GM & some information was as well but I could be sent a small portion of the information used in this determination process. A week later I received a letter from GM which read thank you for allowing us the opportunity to review the product allegation involving my Malibu, but our investigation revealed no evidence to support the product allegation. Therefore, GM is unable to assume responsibility for damages & they suggested that I resolve this matter through my insurance company. I later investigated this on the internet to find that GM has also been having some defects with this computer that records the 5 seconds before impact & that they have also had several complaints of this sudden acceleration which happened in our case.

- Many, LA, USA

Jun 112002

Malibu

While trying to apply brakes the vehicle will accelerate. Consumer has to put vehicle in neutral position when applying brakes. Contacted dealer, and the dealer was not willing to do anything.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jun 292002

Malibu

Vehicle was going 60mph as throttle lost pressure and engine was hesitating. Problem was intermittent, and already been in to dealer 6 times. Fuel pump/ ground wires, and fuel filter were replaced to correct the problem that was still progressing. Dealer was contacted.

- Olney, MD, USA

Aug 312001

Malibu

Car repeatedly fails to maintain set speed and accelerates rapidly without warning which almost caused several accidents. I had dealer look at the cruise control and they said this is normal on this model. I contacted Chevrolet directly (case: C04708022) and they agreed saying it was something I would just have to live with.

- Woolwich, ME, USA