7.6

2. replaced a resistor to the blower motor (4 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Malibu AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 302010

Malibu 3.2L

In 2006 the resister got burned. I replaced the full panel and got no heat from settings 1-4; the fan has to be on 5.

2008 same thing happened, just to find out I need a new fan! 2009 the same issue, again replaced the fan.

Over a period of 3 years I replaced a full panel and 2 fans.

- , Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Dec 282009

Malibu LS

We bought the car in March 09. It has been a great car until the last month. It would be great now having the fan on 5 all the time for heat.

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Dec 312009

Malibu V6

I was driving and noticed a burning smell (somewhat on the sweet side) and then I saw smoke coming from the vents. I pulled over. Upon further inspection I realized that air was no longer coming from the vents: 1-4 were dead.

Now setting 5 only works but the smell is still there and awful.

- , Cedar, UT, USA

Jan 182007

Malibu ES V6

After several years of each setting on the control going out and only level 5 working I took it in to Chevy to have the intermittent turning signal issue fixed do to a special policy #04098. after having a conversation with a GM Rep who told me get it checked out and we will see if we can cover it was told today that it was not a big enough issue and they do not have enough complaints about it.I asked how many they needed as I have at 7 poeple with the same issue. They did not have answer. If you are having this issue please call GM @ 1-866-790-5700 and voice your complaint, that is what they are looking for. The more the better.

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 102008

Malibu 3.2L V6

Seen other complaints. Chevy should consider this as a recall

- , Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Aug 212008

Malibu L V6

I've only had my car 6 years and plan to keep it many more. Also it hasn't been heavily used and abused as it only has 58,000 miles on it. The first four positions of the blower (1-4) just stopped working and it was very annoying. Also to repair it cost $45 for the part and hourly repair charge.

- , North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Nov 292007

Malibu 3.1L V6

Blower motor only works on five... stopped working on one, then two, then three, and now doesn't work on four... lost them one at a time

- , South Portland, ME, USA

Nov 052007

Malibu LS 3.1L V6

Apparently the blower motor has 2 resistors - one that controls the high and another that controls the four speeds below it...

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 242007

Malibu 3.1L V6

My A/C/heater only works on 5. It really gets too cold or hot. But that is the only way it will blow. Any solutions please help.

- , Fordyce, AR, USA