8.0

1. replaced right rear light assembly (4 reports)
  2. drill drain hole (1 reports)
  3. drill small hole in plastic light cover per my mechanic (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jan 012010

Malibu 3.1L V6

I have to clean the lighting contacts yearly. This was obviously a poor engineering design. Moisture permeates the inside of the rear light assembly. Worse when I go through car wash!!

- , Maricopa, AZ, USA

Jan 082009

Malibu V6

Water has been collecting in the rear light assembly off and on for almost two years now. I even received a ticket because both lights stopped working at the same time, and the law does not acknowledge the rear dash brake light. Luckily I have a cousin who has become quite handy in vehicle repair. He found an entire light panel in a junk yard that fit my car perfectly. So I'm not sure what the cost was because he covered it for me. I think though that after the replacement, water still collected in the light fixture basin whenever it would rain, causing the bulbs to stop working. With all of this typing and reading of so many complaints, I think it's time to get rid of this car. I refuse to pay for a car and then to pay for costly repairs on a regular basis. I've always wanted a Malibu. Now, my experience has me very disappointed.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Jan 082008

Malibu

I kept getting water in my front and back light fixture. I had to replace them all!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 142007

Malibu V6

not much else to say , bought vehicle as 2nd car for my son, a bit disappointed to find out about all the vehicle problems listed on this web site. hope this is the only one i'll have

- , Sunrise, FL, USA

Sep 242007

Malibu Sedan 3.2L V6

When I bought my Malibu, I noticed that the lights in the right rear tail lamp kept blowing and going out. Upon further inspection, I discovered a blown lamp base. There was also a significant build-up of moisture in the plastic light mount whenever it rained. I had to purchase and install a new lamp base, which now works with no problem. I still have to replace bulbs more often than the average. There are still moisture issues with the tail light, but the mechanics that I've seen about the problem don't seem to know where the problem is coming from. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Feb 182007

Malibu 3.2L V6

I wanted to register this complaint to see if others have experienced this problem. Since my car has never been in an accident, water getting into the light assembly seems to be the result of a manufacturing defect.

- , Frederick, MD, USA