8.0

2004 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jan 012014

Malibu V6

About three years ago, when we would fill the gas tank, it would "ding", gas warning light would go on and it registered as empty until I'd driven about 5 miles. Now, after two years of it just be annoying, it shows full all the time and we've run out of gas twice on the highway. Now we use our trip odometer to track how many miles we've driven, but it's a real pain. I'm told it's expensive to fix - but I've also heard that lots of people have had this problem. We're at 120K miles and it's been a problem since about 85K.

- , Brunswick, ME, USA

Feb 012012

Malibu LS V4

The gas gauge stopped working about 2 years ago. My friend taught me how to use the trip set to calculate my mileage. Now I can't even use that. It's not even calculating properly and I am running out of gas every time I turn around. What is going with this?

I've research this issue to see if there has been a recall on this and from what I can see there hasn't been but should be due to the amount of vehicles that have the issues out there. I feel GM should be totally responsible for the replacement of any or all parts and find out what in the heck is causing this problem. I do not have the money to have someone drop my gas tank and try to figure this out for me. Please help me with any answers or other suggestions from others that have the same problem. Thanking you for your time, Regina

- , Dundalk, MD, USA

Oct 092012

Malibu Limited V6

This problem will cost in the $1000 or more range to fix. This car has been nothing but problems

- , Greenbrier, TN, USA

Aug 012010

Malibu

When I filled my car to full the gas gauge would drop to empty until I had driven about 50-75 miles. Then it would begin to register correctly. This has happened for the last 2 years. For the last 6 weeks it stays on full all of the time & the message panel says I always have at least 400+ miles left to travel on the tank of gas. It doesn't matter how far I've driven it doesn't change. Today I have finally broken down to get it fixed. Supposed to cost me at least $350.00.

- , Coldwater, MI, USA

Nov 212011

Malibu LS 3.5L

My wife has been in contact with GM with this problem . At the insistence of GM,we spent $100.00 for a dealer tech to agree that the gauge was not functioning properly. The solution was to replace the fuel level sensor at a cost of $485.00. Fortunately this took less then two hours. We forwarded this information to GM and were informed that the issue was caused by wear and tear per the Dealer. Therefore GM is not responsible for any repair. I am unsure how this was determined and have been unable to contact the customer service rep at GM for any further information. The bottom line is that if the sensor is not replaced the check engine light will come on and will not pass inspection in the state of Georgia. ( there was a 2005 Malibu in the shop at the same time that needed the same repair to pass inspection). I am also concerned that with all the e-mails sent there is not a single reply. The phone replies have all been given without any reference number or complaint code. It seems that they want to call and forget. Face book is next

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Malibu LS 3.2L V6

I have been ignoring my problem with my gas gauge for the longest time, just knowing that it keeps doing it. My gas gauge as soon as I fill up my car it goes straight to full, then 2 minutes later it is back down to empty with low fuel light on. Just this past couple weeks my gauge really started acting up. I have driven 289 miles since I filled up my tank & tank still says full.

- , Forestville, WI, USA

May 262011

Malibu LS V6

Every time I fill up my tank (twice a week) it registers full for about 30 seconds and then drops to empty for the first 60 miles or so.

- , Rockbridge, OH, USA

Jun 252008

Malibu LT 3.6L V6

THIS GAUGE WENT OUT RIGHT AFTER WARRANTY AND WAS TOLD THAT IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY. MOST OF THE THINGS THAT HAVE BROKEN ON MY CAR WERE NOT COVERED UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 052009

Malibu 3.5L

Gas tank full low fuel light comes on moves back and fourth for miles finally stop

- , Macon, MS, USA

Feb 202010

Malibu 3.5L

Fuel tank full gauge registering empty. This is the second time this has occurred. It very annoying not knowing whether the car will stop functioning.

- , Macon, MS, USA

Jan 032005

Malibu

The fuel gauge issue has happened on numerous occasions....they have always said there is nothing wrong!!!!

- , Lombard, IL, USA

Jun 082007

Malibu LT 3.5L V6

When gas tank is full gauge drops down to empty and stays that way until about 3/4 full then works. Probably a bad fuel sending unit. Out of warranty 2 week and GM would not fix. I refuse to fix since the same problem happened to my last three chevys.

- , Lansdale, PA, USA