2004 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 052016

Malibu

There was a recall on fuel system my engine light is on and had it diagnosed and its reading I need a fuel pump cant understand why when work was already done sometimes when I accelerate to 25-30 stutters and putts

- Akron, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the brakes engaged independently and without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the hydraulic anti-lock control was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 282015

Malibu

Brakes failed while driving, causing me to crash into another car.

- Battle Creek , MI, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was being serviced by an independent mechanic, it was discovered that the tie rod and front brakes needed to be replaced.the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Science Hill , KY, USA

Jan 202015

Malibu 4-cyl

The driver was traveling on a two lane road and came to a curve in the road at which time she reported that the brakes would not slow or stop the car and the car began to veer in an unintended (and unsteered) direction. The driver attempted to correct the car's path and speed and it went out of control striking four cars, crossing a divider and impacting head on with a 4 X 4 truck. The driver commented that the "car went wild".

- Washington Crossing, PA, USA

Sep 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

The traction control sensor light keeps going on and off. I'm not even sure that it is working at all I have a recall notice on this issue but once again no one seems to have any parts to correct the issue.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Jul 182014

• 1,530,000 miles

With the shaking steering wheel and the power steering going in and out my front tires where feeling out of balance so I pulling into wal-mart and had them look at it. Both of my front tires had busted belts in them and my breaks were pretty much gone and the rotors were torn up. The alignment was way off causing the car to not steer. I was told all this is because of the power steering going out. This car is not safe to drive, however its my only means of transportation and with so many of these problems I have no money to have he problems fixed. Something needs to be done. There are so many others with the same problem.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Oct 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree stump and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a chest injury that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed however, the body damage was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Newville, AL, USA

Oct 062014

Malibu

The traction light, ABS brake light, and service light are coming on and do not go out. The shift gear also has a problem.

- Newark, NJ, USA

May 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

When I apply my brakes to stop or slow down my brakes seem to go out or not work intermittently. My husband thinks it has to do with the ABS. This has almost caused me to hit the vehicles in front of me so I must leave a rather large stopping distance between myself and the front car which is fine but when I must make a quick stop to avoid an accident my brakes cut out.

- Valois, NY, USA

Sep 182013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 70 mph, the brakes activated independently and the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but the part was not available to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Downey , CA, USA

Mar 012004

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brakes, steering, and electrical wiring for the headlights failed. The failures have occurred since 2004. While making left turns, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact had been submitting complaints to the manufacturer since 2004. The failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 10/23/14 updated 4/13/2015

- Irving, TX, USA

May 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mineola, TX, USA

Oct 272013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while stop in a parking lot, another vehicle crashed into contact vehicle and the horn malfunctioned. As result, the contact was unable to alert the other vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. In addition, the contact stated the brake lights became inoperable intermittently. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was not notified about the failures. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Aug 022010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, he depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle would not respond. The contact had to use the emergency brake in order to stop the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The contact also stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and when making a right or left turn the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Providence , RI, USA

Jun 012006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The service soon warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the power steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts needed were unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

We have received three recall notices for the above mentioned problems. All of the notices say that the car will be fixed free of charge by the dealer but parts are not available at the current time. When I got the second notice I called and talked to a woman at the Chevrolet division of GM and was told the parts should be available within two weeks. A month later we got our third notice of a different problem and when I called again I was told that they had not determined the "root" of the problem so they don't know which parts need to be replaced. Also they could not tell me when the solution would be found and therefore when the parts would be available. In addition I would think an american company like GM would be hiring americans to answer their customer's complaints. It was pretty obvious that the person I talked to today was most likely a call person from india. Any ideas when these problems will be solved"? who should I complain to next?"

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

Lady lost control of car and hit a truck and smashed passenger side front section and air bags deployed. She did not have the money to pay the tow company so she let them have the car. I found this information on car facts online. My son lives in mo and purchased the car and I purchased the car due to the low miles on the car and now having problems getting the air bags to function properly. I also caller deery brothers Chevrolet dealership and they checked my VIN and this car does have a recall on it.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 182010

Malibu 4-cyl

When slowing to a stop approximately 100 feet from stop sign the anti-lock brakes or the regular brakes malfunctioned and car began to haltingly brake and slightly slide while I steadily held the brake pedal. This continued randomly, regardless of weather conditions and always when slowing from a speed of 25 mph or less. Eventually removal of the anti-lock brake fuse rectified the situation, but now do not have these brakes when weather conditions are poor.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

Chevrolet Malibu ls 2004 V6. Exterior brake lights not working as expected. In my vehicle the brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal is not depressed, and turn off once the pedal is applied. During this event I was notified by the "service vehicle soon" warning light. In the dark I could see in my mirrors that my brake lights would go on and off with out touching the pedal. My brake lights would not illuminate while pressing the brake pedal. When I got home I had my husband stand behind the vehicle while I pressed the brake pedal. No changed occurred as I pressed the brake pedal. This is extremely dangerous because other drivers will not know when I am truly slowing down or actually applying the brake. Now whenever the "service vehicle soon" warning light comes on I know that my exterior brake lights are not working properly. Since February of 2014 this happens 4 or more times a month. I work second shift, so when I drive home it is dark out. My vehicle could cause another driver to rear end me because they don't know that my exterior brake lights aren't working properly.

- Parma, OH, USA