6.7

2004 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

May 012011

Malibu

I have been dealing with the fuel sensor issue for the past few years - it first started out as my gas needle stopping at the 3/4 line when ever I fill up the car, causing it to overfill - after driving a matter of 30-40 miles the needle would go up to the fill line. As time went by, I check with my local Chevy dealer for recall issues and they said there was nothing in place. So after I asked them about looking into it they said that it would cost me at $1000 to repair because of the fact that they have to drop the gas tank to fix the issues.

Now for the past 2-3 years when ever I fill up my car the needle immediately goes to "E" and it will stay there for at least 40-50 miles then the needle will go back to fill - it's very hard to judge how much gas I have because I have a feel for the gas in my car. I have run out of gas 2-3 times and it is not pretty - there should be some type of recall or compensation for me to get this repaired - because of this it is causing other problems with my car - now I have a very annoying knocking noise behind my dashboard which was diagnosed as the door for my vents being stuck open or something like that - what can be done to fix this issue - and I need to fix it now - my car has 158,738 miles on it and I can't afford to fix this issue!!! NEED HELP NOW!!!!

- , Grovetown, GA, USA

Jan 142015

Malibu LS

After I fill up, gas hand goes to full and then immediately to empty. At first it would slowly go up and stay like normal, now it stays showing low fuel. So I started tracking my mileage, but I ran out of gas twice on the highway on my way to the gas station just to be safe because the system said that I had so many miles before empty.

This is really annoying and I feel that GM should do something about it especially with all these complaints I have been reading. I already had 3 recalls on this car and this problem should be another one. I do not have the money to be getting things fixed like this all the time, obviously this is a manufacturer problem and not a consumer problem. The engine light came on today 4/23/15 and stayed on all day.

- , Kansas City, USA

Nov 102014

Malibu V6

As others have mentioned, I have noticed this problems for a few years. After I had filled it up with gas, the gas gauge would drop to E and the alarm would ring. After I drove 20-30 miles, it would raise up to full and be fine. This did not happen everytime but increased in frequency in the last 6 mos after I passed 100,000 miles. Now, it will either peg as full or drop to empty. I am guessing it has about half a tank but neither the gauge or computer can be trusted. Seems pretty cheap for GM to just say this is regular wear and tear.

- , Upland, IN, USA