8.2

2. new power steering column put in (21 reports)
  3. turn off the engine and restart again (5 reports)
  4. relace column ($1000) (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 122014

Malibu LS V6 3.6L V6

Having same problem with the steering on my Malibu as lots of others have complain about. It just goes and comes several times a day. Bells ring and read out says POWER STEERING. Chevrolet says $800.00. For $800.00 I'll get me a Ford Fusion.

- , Deatsville, AL, USA

Dec 092013

Malibu

I purchased this vehicle for my college kid, for transportation, I also purchased a 2007 Cadi CTS for myself. All I can say is I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, buy another GM vehicle.

1. Chevy Malibu: my daughter was driving the Malibu and tie rods broke and she ran into a wall. thankfully for the big massive snow bank she wasn't injured. The power steering was going out on the vehicle at least every other day. Of course there was no warranty on it, but it looked nice. All black. Truly a piece of sh*t. I'm going to tell all my friends and family never, ever buy a GM product.

2. Another piece of sh*t is the Cadillac CTS 2007 PIECE OF SH*T as well. Very sharp looking car, but every other week a light was going off on it. Burns gas like crazy I won't buy this either. Rear wheel drive, got stuck in the snow at least 30 + times in the winter. Owner's manual tell you not to rock it out but to call a tow truck, I did a couple of times, but that sh*t is expensive. I brought that car without taking a mechanic with me, I'll know the next time. GM products suck, suck, suck. I was satisfied with Dodge and Chrysler products. I think I'm going Toyota Avalon, now that's a vehicle.

- , Eastpointe, MI, USA

Oct 052006

Malibu LS 3.5L V6

While driving down the road the car would start jerking back and forth, almost as if the steering was in a spasm. Then when you turn or change lanes the power steering would just go out. My car was in the shop for 2 weeks. When I got it back the steering wheel was turned 90 degrees so that I could go straight. 2 years later I had the steering wheel turned during an alignment. The mechanic added that the fix was simple the dealer was just lazy.

- , Lafayette, Indiana, USA

Dec 262013

Malibu LS

The power steering will randomly shut off at any time. Thankfully so far this has only happened at low speeds but I am terrified that it will happen on the highway or in a situation that will cause a crash. I also drive with my 2 small children with me and am VERY concerned for their safety as well!

- , Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Oct 142013

Malibu LS 3.5L V6

Noticed check engine light was on in instrument panel, "Power Steering" showing on display of audio console, turned wheel, noticed no decrease to power steering. Got out and looked for power steering fluid fill cap (didn't realize vehicle had "electronic" power steering). Got back in, and restarted, but both notifications still appeared, and again when turning wheel there was no noticeable decrease to the power steering. Was taking dogs to corner park three blocks away. As I was on my way the power steering did decrease significantly. Immediately pulled over, walked dogs the last block to the park, did their run, and had to call a friend to come and pick the dogs up, so I could easily wrestle with the steering to drive the two blocks back home. Researched problem online, and noticed the restarting solution appearing here.

Not sure why it didn't occur with the initial (although, short-term) restart, but after sitting for two days, a restart cleared it up.

- , Dayton, Ohio, USA

Sep 222013

Malibu LS V6

I had the column replaced under warranty at about 35000 miles. Steering has always been shaky, but warning light came on and power steering stopped working at about 130000 miles. Apparently this is a common, reoccurring problem. Why no recall? GM, face up to your responsibilities to loyal customers!

Update from Sep 26, 2013: It was the steering column. First replaced at 4000 miles and again at 113000. GM wouldn't cut me an slack because of car's age.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 282012

Malibu Maxx LT

I have always had foreign cars that I loved and had NO PROBLEMS with; Volvo, Puegot, Volkswagen, Nissan - then I bought this Malibu Maxx crap - trying to be a good citizen and buy American - what a friggin' nightmare. Can you imagine driving and all of a sudden your steering locks up? Very scary and annoying. Especially since Chevrolet is ignoring the problem, don't have the decency for a recall, but their dealers have no problem making you pay for the faulty item TWICE. They should be sued. I can't sell this car to anyone else, because I don't want an unfortunate accident, or worse, a death on my conscience.

I will never buy American again.

- , Stone Mountain, Georgia, USA

Dec 012012

Malibu 2.2L

Power steering will go out if steering wheel is turned one way or the other for a few minutes (for example when waiting to turn). Seems to happens more often when it is cold. It fixes itself if you turn the car off and on. It can be extremely annoying!

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Jun 152013

Malibu

This car has been nothing but a nightmare! We have changed countless headlights and taillights due to them burning out constantly. And now the power steering went out. Drove fine, parked the car for about 10 minutes, got back in the car. Couldn't hardly steer it. I was driving my 10 year old nephew home. Good thing we were not out on the road! I will never by a Chevrolet again. Now I am driving my 94 Geo Prism all rusted and bolts hold the fender on. But she Steers really nice!!!! They want 1050.00 to fix my car. NUTS! I will wait until April and trade it.

- , Sparta, WI, USA

Feb 042013

Malibu LX 4 cyl 2.2L

My son was at college and driving the car in town when chime went off, power steering stopped, and warning light light came on. First time this has happened. Mileage on the car is 86,000. He called me at home and after talking to some mechanics, service managers, and looking up on the web, I realized this is a common problem for the 2004 malibu. Unfortunately, GM has not issued a recall, so I will be stuck with the repair costs! This is not right, especially since they have recalled later model malibus with the same electrical power steering issues.Talk about not standing behind their product. We had so liked the car that we were thinking about buying another later model malibu, but not now. Come on GM do the right thing!

- , Farmington, Missouri, USA

Jun 122013

Malibu LX 3.2L V6

Power steering went off without any reason. Fortunately, I just got off the highway and was waiting for a red light. Turned off the engine and restarted the car. The problem went away. This was the first time it happened though since I bought the car in 2004.

- , Kanata, ON, canada

Jun 032004

Malibu LT V6

I went to 2 different dealers and explained the problem. They could not figure it out but, they wanted up to $1,500 to fix it even though they did not know what the problem was.

Hundreds of others had the same problem, but there was never a recall. Many, many others paid up to $1,500. Chevy never admitted it was a problem, but it SURE was.

- , n charleston, South Carolina, USA

Oct 102012

Malibu

I have a Chevy 2004 Malibu with only 67000 miles on it. The power steering will shake and then go out unexpectedly while driving. And the steering wheel is extremely difficult to steer. It has happened about 2 times to me and one time to my daughter. It is extremely dangerous as I was making a left turn into a 2 lane busy street and almost hit the car in the other lane. And the other time I almost hit a tree. My daughter almost hit a parked car. It does stop when the car is turned off however, this is unacceptable for a car to do this. The manufacturers must know this is a big problem. They will for sure when someone has an accident and sues them. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow and I am thinking of trading it in instead of having it repaired.....especially if they can not garantee me that this will never happen again. I also don't feel I should pay for their mistakes. And finally I will make sure my family and friends will never buy a Chevy.

- , Spanaway, WA, USA

Feb 012013

Malibu LS 3.2L V6

2004 MALIBU LS-DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY TODAY AND THE BELL GOES OFF, THE YELLOW WRENCH APPEARS AND THE RADIO SHOWS POWER STEERING. THE POWER STEERING JUST WENT OUT ALL AT ONCE AND I ALMOST RAN INTO A TRUCK. CALLED THE CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP AND THEY STATED THERE IS NOT A RECALL ON THIS AND IT IS ALSO NOT COVERED UNDER THE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. NHTSA PLEASE ISSUE A RECALL ON THIS POWER STEERING PROBLEM BEFORE IT CAUSES SOMEONE TO LOOSE THEIR LIFE. I HAVE A 1998 MALIBU LS AND A 2004 MALIBU LS AND THEY BOTH HAVE GAVE ME PROBLEMS. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE.

SMITH-ARKANSAS

- , Dermott, Arkansas, USA

Jan 212013

Malibu LX

This is my wife's car and she called me in a panic that the car was stuck in the middle of the street where she could not turn the steering wheel. After several attempts at restarting and moving the shifter and whatnot she finally got the steering to work. She no longer wants to drive her car and feels totally unsafe in it. This is the last straw because she also has a terrible time with a dangerous signal light problem that works only when it wants to. I don't know how many new light bulbs i have replaced on this car. I went on line to find out where you would add power steering fluid only to find out its an electric unit. This is a consistent problem that needs to be fixed by GM. RECALL,RECALL,RECALL!!!!!!!!!

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 262012

Malibu LX 3.2L

I am having the same problem as half the 2004 Malibu owners. I have a 2004 Malibu My power steering just stops working. This has happened several times. I have almost had several accidents because of this. I found 176 people on one website that is also having this problem and several other website with the same complaint on. Chevy has not recalled the 2004 for it. However that did recall the 2005 for the same problem. That only because someone died in the car due to the power steering problem. Wow now I feel safe. I am a single mom I cant pay $600.00 for a maybe fix. They cant promise after replacing the steering column it will even fix the problem. I cant buy a new car. They need to take responsibility for there mess up. Guess I have to wait till someone dies in the 2004 before they fix it and who knows I might be the one that does.

- , Tracy, CA, USA

Nov 012012

Malibu LS 3.5lV6

The 2005, 2006 and 2008 Malibu have been recalled recently for intermittent power steering failure. The recall describes the problem just as the contributors here have described it. A chime sounds, power steering appears in the radio, turn the car off and restart it and the power steering works again, I called Transport Canada to find out why the 2004 was not included in the recall. They said they didn't have enough complaints from 2004 owners. The recall is for a SAFETY ISSUE! YOU MUST REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH TRANSPORT CANADA IF YOU WANT TO AVOID THIS COSTLY REPAIR. EVEN IF YOU HAVE PAID TO HAVE IT REPAIRED YOU MUST COMPLAIN. YOU CAN GET A REFUND IF THE 2004 IS RECALLED. This is a good website but not the place you need to register a complaint for this problem. Contact TRANSPORT CANADA. Our US friends need to contact their agency as well. The US and Canadian Governments work closely on these issues.

- , Bolton, ON, canada

Oct 092012

Malibu LS 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

power steering going out intermittently power steering going out intermittently power steering going out intermittently

My car is a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6 3.5L 3 chimes. "Power Steering" displays under clock, steering wheel quivers a bit, steering then becomes very stiff. turning radius is then halved also. Turning the steering wheel slowly sometimes causes PS to go out. Putting the car in either Park or Neutral then turning ignition off then restarting resets steering. GM Customer Satisfaction - Power Steering #04050A expired December 31, 2006. GM dealership (Edmonton Motors) refused to pay for steering column last month, had bought the car from Mills Nissan in October "as is" condition and cheap. Steering column is out of shape and causes Steering Wheel Position Sensor to have uneven wear. Steering Wheel Position Sensor then sends an erratic signal to the Electric Power Steering Assist Motor Module, because the signal varies so much the software goes into a loop then crashes. So I bought online A GM original steering column(comes with Steering Wheel Position Sensor) part#25933396 CDN$332, Electric Power Steering Assist Motor Module PART#22837369 CDN$380. Instructed GM Goodwrench Service to replace steering column, and Electric Power Steering Assist Motor Module(does not come from factory preprogrammed). Most importantly only GM has the tool and the software to put into the Electric Power Steering Assist Motor Module, the name of this tool is called a GM Dealership Code Scanner Diagnostic Tool. DO NOT LET YOUR MECHANIC FORGET TO USE THIS TOOL. If you go to NAPA Auto, Canadian Tire to install these parts prepare to pay for towing to a GM Dealership to get the software Received estimate of $240. If you have all the above symptoms do not even bother to get a diagnostic done unless the problem reoccurs. Actual labour came to CDN$331. Total CDN$1043. Does not really matter what make or model you get you are going to have problems and people are going to be upset even if everything was done right the first time.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Nov 202012

Malibu LS 3.2L V6

So I start my car today, and the bells go off on the stereo and it says power steering. The car light on the dash with the wrench in it is lit up. As I go around a corner my car is extremely hard to steer and direct the car where I want it to go. I'm able to get to a local garage, where I have them look at the car, which by the way the power steering was working when they started the car again, only to find out that this is the 4th malibu in the past couple of months that they have fixed with this intermittent power steering problem. It appears to be the electrical power steering part in the steering column itself. This should be a recall since this is not the first time it has happened in malibu's and it is quite a common problem. This is dangerous, having your power steering and then all of a sudden, with no warning, you have no power steering. Driving at highway speed and turning a corner would be disastrous. The cost to repair this is $650. GM needs to step up and own this stupid problem, or does it take a major accident and possible lawsuit before they can get their nose out of the sand. I was lucky there was a garage close and it didn't happen while I was driving. COME ON GM, PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SUPPORTERS, YOU KNOW, THE ONE'S STILL BUYING YOUR PRODUCT............

- , Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Nov 112012

Malibu LX 3.2L V6

The first time this problem came up was in December 2011. I took it into a Auto service center & they could not detect any problems with the power steering. Next I took it to the Chevy dealers and they could not find anything wrong with the power steering.Then on November 11, 2012 the problem came up again. This is what happens: I'm driving along and suddenly all this happens, the yellow wrench light comes on, bells dinging, message on screen is "Power steering" & the power steering is out I have to use all my strength to turn the wheel on turns. However once I stop and turn off the engine, then restart the engine, the power steering come back on like normal. It has been on the Chevy dealers diagnostic computer, but did not show anything wrong with the PS. It must be an electrical problem within the power steering unit/system. These technicians that work on cars must not search any further than they have to for any problems.

My car is a 2004 that I purchased used in 2008. I sure hope a warrenty is still in place to help pay for this problem that could cost me over $600.

- , Anderson, SC, USA