2007 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the ignition switch was turned on and the brake lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact adhered to the recall, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,522.

- Negaunee, MI, USA

May 092015

Malibu

Airbag light stays on will not go out.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 242015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle started to jerk excessively followed by a sudden loss of power steering assist. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Woodland , CA, USA

Mar 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed ore repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Redline, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the key was stuck in the ignition after repairing the vehicle under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V224000 (power train) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Maugansville, MD, USA

Apr 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the engine RPM gauge started to move independently in an erratic manner. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed an electric fluctuation in the speed that caused the failure. The vehicle's computer system was restarted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu

My fuel gauge shows low fuel most of the time.my lights on the dash change check engine light comes on sometimes then gas gauge works.then it goes off and things change air bag warning comes on.things just jump around never the same mix of things.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 162012

Malibu

Service the airbag light kept coming on intermittently for a couple of years until it stayed on constantly. Mechanic says the (box) is burned out and must be replaced at cost of$300. I understand 07 Malibu have this problem. I want to know why it hasn't been recalled since airbags save lives and without them we are at risk.

- Mingo Jct., OH, USA

Jan 232015

Malibu

I was pulling out of my driveway in my 2007 Chevy Malibu and couldn't cut the wheel in any direction. Power steering was totally out. The radio was scrolling "power steering", but had no idea what was going on. Managed to get to a gas station and then after many of us looking at it realized it was an electrical power steering unit. Was going to get it towed, but when starting it up again, it worked fine. Intermittent problem. This is so dangerous! my car only has a little over 68,000 miles on it. Dealer said that this is common, but the 2007 was not covered by the recall - all other years besides '07. I needed a new steering torque sensor. Cost $500 to replace. Seems crazy with such a known problem and low miles that GM excluded this year in the recall. So disappointed!

- Saint Charles , MO, USA

Jun 112014

Malibu

There appears to be an issue with the ignition on the 2007 Chevy Malibu's. I've been told by several dealerships that the starter needed to be replaced in my car. I had it replaced twice and the vehicle still does not always start. The battery is brand new.

- East Barre, VT, USA

Nov 252014

Malibu

The passlock system in the car enables whenever it wants to leaving you stranded. The whole car shuts down all methods of disarming the system fail. You have to wait X amount of time for the passlock system to disable on it's own. It could take an hour to 48 hours! huge inconvenience!

- Butte Des Morts, WI, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14224000 (power train). The part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Castleberry , FL, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu

I did not have a crash, or driving incident. This complaint is due to the following: I received the recall (14152) letter back in June of 2014. The needed part was not available at that time so I waited for another letter to come and finally received a month or so later (August). I took my car to the wesley chapel GM dealer and they completed the recall work for free. Although, they ended up charging me $2,400 for electrical, and fuse damage to my car that they say was not related to this recall, although based on everything I have read I believe these charges were a reflection of the recall. My hands were tied as I need my car so I paid the fee at the dealership and called GM and had them open up a ticket to look into my issue, charges, and what the dealership fixed. GM responded to me that they could not help me. Now, thinking all of this was behind me, I receive another recall letter with the same recall number this month (Jan 2015), now telling me I still have an open recall. When I put my VIN number into the system it still reflects this as an open recall on my car. I'm so confused, and really feel like im being taken advantage of by GM, and the dealership. I refuse to take the car back to the dealership as they will find another way to charge me when this is all GM's responsibility. At this point I have no idea what to do, nor do I even know if my car is safe to drive or not.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 062015

Malibu

Vehicle's cruise control was engaged when reaching and hill the cruise control sped up and as soon as it did I lost engine power completely it was not until I was able to safety make it to the side of the interstate coasting that I realized the engine had cut off. I then parked the vehicle turned off all electrical components and turned the ignition to the off position; and attempted to restart to engine switch resulted in nothing but the engine light coming on and the lights of the vehicle coming on but no firing of the engine or even a click from the starter at this point I was glad a had all my blankets and thing in the vehicle because in North dakoda and Montana its cold. After a few failed attempts at turning the key and nothing happening waiting 5mins in between I began calling my insurance company 10 more mins pass by and I'm on hold I decide to try the car again in which it fired right up the check engine light remained illuminated for about 2 days after the incident now it has disappeared from my dash lights my car goes in for repair next week to get engine heater installed and recalls taken care of however I don't see what would cause the listed above issue to occur under any listed recalls but I am also not vehicle savvy.

- Westport, KY, USA

Dec 132014

Malibu

My vehicle's steering wheel locked up, making it very hard to steer the vehicle left or right, and a message went across my screen reading "power steering". when my steering wheel is not locked up, it continuously jumps in my hands. I am pretty sure this is all due to the electric power steering giving out, just like in the recalls given for the other Chevrolet Malibu, unfortunately, my 2007 was one of the models left out of this recall, when I am positive it has the same defect as the others recalled. The description of what happens in these situations matches mine to the tee. The risks are the same as well, I am in just as much danger as those others driving that did get recalls. The difficulty steering makes it hard to swerve out of the way when in an emergency, as every turn requires a lot of muscle. I am asking anyone in charge to please, review this and include the 2007 in the power steering recall.

- Toms Brook , VA, USA

Aug 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Oct 162007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and all of the warning indicators illuminated. After repeated attempts, the vehicle started. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed to repair the vehicle would not be available for months. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Aug 202014

Malibu 4-cyl

Car drives without key turned all the way to 111. Brakes are unreliable...scares my wife and I!! car dies out upon acceleration.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

There are so many issues with this car and I am not at all happy. Just received 2 recalls on it for the electrical system and for the transmission shift cable. There are issues with the steering having a clunking sound and now I have to replace a tire because of it. Tires were purchased last October. I have read several complaints on this specific vehicle and other recalls. My son has to use this car to go back and forth to work which is only 7 miles one way, and I do not even trust it that far. We get told we will be contacted when the parts for the recalls are available, meanwhile something can happen and if it does you may just have a lawsuit on your hands. I just want to give the car back and get something else without having to add the remaining balance due to a new loan.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA