2009 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Malibu

Door locks lock and unlock at random buttons on doors and fob inoperable this is a very large safety hazzard I have come outside to find my car unlocked in the morning after locking it the night before and have found this to be a normal problem with this vehicle meaning it is a manufacturer defeat that should be fixed by the manufacturer the problem even happens when the car is in motion unlocking and locking at random a child could fall out at any speed when door unlocks plus I could come out to someone in my car in the morning with these inoperable

- Abilene, TX, USA

Apr 012016

Malibu

Power locks do not work properly on my 2009 Chevy Malibu. I can sometimes get driver's door to unlock with remote, but rarely the passenger or back doors. The switches inside are of no help either. We have to manually pull up on each lock and then push them down when we exit. This is obviously a safety hazard for me and my passengers in the case we have to enter or exit the vehicle quickly. The locks do occasionally lock when put in gear, but do not always when in park or when the ignition is turned off. With small children, this is dangerous. I have changed remote batteries, reprogrammed remotes, and have changed the fuse for the locks. Nothing has changed. When troubleshooting online, I saw dozens of complaints about this same issue. This is obviously something that Chevrolet needs to fix. They should have a recall immediately and take care of this issue. Customers buy vehicles in good faith that the makers will take care of these known defects. I can understand the ordinary repairs, but this is a problem that the maker is aware of and continues to make no changes.

- Anna, IL, USA

May 132016

Malibu

Theft system light is on and I'm not able to start my car. The radio still works and all the lights and heater and A/C. I try to start the car a few times and sometimes it take several trys to get the car to start. This has been happening quite a bit

- Delta, MO, USA

Mar 152016

Malibu

My driver's side door will not open. I can't open it from the inside or outside. It is in park and I have to climb through the passenger side door. This is so dangerous!

- Concord, NH, USA

Jan 292016

Malibu

While driving the car the service traction/ESC light comes on and startes jerking the rpms shoot up to 4000 and makes a rattle noise. When doing this the speed does not change to reflect the rpms. When at a idle the rpms rest at about 2200. The car doesnt fully want to stop when coming to red light or when breaking. I have had the car a diffrent speeds and tends to stall and shack no matter what.

- South Point, OH, USA

Dec 262015

Malibu

Engine power reduced and car cranks but wont start. It also slowed down when that engine power reduced came on almost had an accident and my family was in the car.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu

Door lock malfunction. Door locks randomly do not work with remote or button in the car. In an emergency, this could be a problem trying to get my children out of the back seat. Online forums suggest this is a very common issue that the manufacturer should recall and repair.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Dec 212015

Malibu

There is something faulty in the system which is causing the battery to become completely drained if the car sits 2/3 days without being started. I have replaced my 3 times and still something in the car is continuing to drain the battery. There is hundreds of people all over the internet that are having this same issue. Not even the dealership could fix the issue. I am not physically leaving anything on in the car but it continues to keep dying. This is definitely a defect with this car that needs to be fixed. My car is a 2009, and it has been dying 2011.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu

There was a recall for the wiring harness related to these problems..rk Chevrolet in vineland, NJ repaired it supposedly. Days after the warranty on socalled repair the problem persisted yet again and I returned to dealership they said there was no problem with it...gave me codes for something else which did not relate to what is wrong...I'm getting nowhere with this and it is not safe to drive this vehicle which is needed for family transportation and work.ESC light stays on, traction control stays on, brake lights come on while driving but not when braking.

- Millville, NJ, USA

Aug 192015

Malibu

Rear door lock fails to open or close. Must be manually unlocked or locked. The safety concern is the inability to lock or unlock the door in an emergency. Must physically climb into back seat to reach the lever to unlock the door as the lever is located at the rear of the door. This may seem to be more of a convenience issue, but it could very well become a matter of life or death particularly if the occupant is a child or a person with a disability. Furthermore, I read numerous accounts of door lock actuators failing on these vehicles. It is indeed a safety issue. Must a person die before corrective measures are ordered?

- Hancock, NY, USA

Aug 152015

Malibu

My car stopped being able to shift. I pulled over and lost the ability to reverse as well. The mechanic confirmed it was my transmission, and recommended I take it to the dealership B/C Chevy consistently has problems with transmissions and there was a "special coverage adjustment". my particular VIN did not qualify to be repaired by Chevy/GM although it was the exact same issues that the "special coverage" paperwork described. Do not buy a Chevy or GM vehicle. They refuse to own up to any issues with their parts. Their poor quality standards don't stop at the assembly line, they go right on through to customer service as well.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Aug 012015

Malibu

My door locks are locking and unlocking while I'm driving and also while the vehicle is parked.

- Gary, IN, USA

May 012015

Malibu

I parked my car and turned off the ignition and the key would not come out. I had to continually re-start the car and put it in park and jiggle until for some reason it worked and the key finally came out.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jun 172015

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jul 162015

Malibu

When parked or when driving, doors randomly lock and unlock. Have seen several other complaints online from consumers around the country with this exact same problem. They all say that Chevrolet dealerships refuse to repair at their cost and that cost is too high for most consumers ($300/lock). I also believe this is a safety concern, my grandchildren often ride with me, what if they open the door on the freeway"! locked inside the car while it's on fire?! to say that this is not a safety concern is simply gross negligence! negligence case law has shown that failure to act with prior knowledge is complicity of/to manslaughter, and this turns an accidental death into manslaughter. GM! wake up, get into gear here. Does your new CEO really want to deal with another recall cover up?"!!!!

- Ojai, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu

There have been multiple repairs done on this car because of recalls and potential recall items. I still owe $7,000 on this vehicle! I feel like the manufacturer owes me money as well as the dealership who fixed the recalled items and the items that are not yet in recall that need to be repaired are going to cause a complete accident if this is not handled promptly. I have two small children and organize volunteer work in my area and do not have the money to fix it. I feel like this is entitled to me and I should not have to have a faulty car when I am also paying on it. I can offer more details when you contact me.

- Mayodan, NC, USA

May 092015

Malibu

The door locks on this vehicle will not secure and must be secured manually when entering or exiting the vehicle, also unlocks and locks during driving.. very unsafe vehicle at this time due to these door lock issues. Not able to feel comfortable as much with this vehicle due to these issures. Please fix.

- London, OH, USA

May 212009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer due to a very strong chemical smell inside the passenger compartment. The dealer advised him to drive with the windows open, keep the vehicle out of direct sunlight, and allow it to air out. After a few weeks of airing out the vehicle, the contact rear ended another vehicle at 40 mph. There were no injuries. The contact believed that the strong scent in the vehicle caused him to become disoriented while driving. He believed that the scent was so strong that it caused him to drive poorly. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and repaired by the insurance company. The contact does not want to drive the vehicle due to the odor. The current and failure mileages were 800. Updated 07/14/09 the consumer also stated after crashing into several cars, the air bags did not deploy. The consumer believed the reason he crashed was due to the chemical smell in the vehicle which caused him to become disoriented. Updated 07/16/09.

- Pembroke Pine, FL, USA