2009 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 172013

Malibu 4-cyl

Re-occurrence of a prior complaint. Driving my vehicle on a local highway when the service traction and service ESC displays came on. Car began to sputter as though it were going to stall. Coasted to the side of the highway, and after idling for a minute the displays returned to normal. After driving about 2 miles further, it happened again. It continued to happen throughout the rest of my drive. The next day, it ran fine for about 10 miles or so, and then began stalling again and began to lose some braking and steering. Last time this issue occurred, the brake lights also locked on leaving the drivers behind me thinking that I was braking. Last time these alerts were displayed my vehicle died completely and had to be serviced. Now, it seems to be progressing towards the same result. GM will not acknowledge that there is an issue, but hundreds of Malibu and HHR owners since 2008 seem to disagree. I once again contacted the dealership that gave me the explanation of it requiring hundreds of dollars to diagnose. Seeing that this has been occurring for at least 5 years, I would imagine that GM is aware that there is an issue. Unfortunately, it always seems that it takes the death of several drivers before there is a response. One driver in a printed chat with a GM rep stated that the issue caused his vehicle to crash due to the loss of ABS and power steering, and his airbag failed to deploy. Isn't a loss of braking, steering, air bag, brake lights and acceleration a safety concern?

- Comstock Park, MI, USA

Apr 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving to work April 10th & I was side swipe by an 18 wheeler dump truck starting on my driver side passenger door. My front end was hit by the nose of the dump truck, I was spun 180 degrees slammed into a school bus to which the truck squashed me up against the bus dragged me up the Q bridge leaving me there with no air bags deployed or onstar alert! my concern is I have front & side airbags & I am not sure why none of them went off. My car was towed away & I was unable to drive it away & is now totaled!

- West Haven, CT, USA

Oct 122012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light intermittently illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 29,230.

- Tucscon, AZ, USA

Aug 312012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was hit very hard on driver front and side panel. Other driver in truck failed to yield (texting and talking on bluetooth) was making a left turn and ran into our car I was moving about 10-15 mph no onstar call and none of the bags deployed. 3 people hurt and still sore must see doctor for >12 treatments to realign and stop soreness. My X-rays of my back look awful. We all have vertebrae damage in our necks injured neck, shoulders, arms/wrist, headaches, back, ribs, knees, numbness in feet. Hurts very much. M.D. stated I would have been less hurt if bag(s) had deployed. Called GM out of concern. They called me for info. Last call, Friday GM rep (faith) read statement " it may take up to 120 days to investigate and during that time I'm responsible for paying for a car rental, if GM finds problem, they will pay for the rental and/of other awards." I was in bed sore during this call and I've been experiencing impaired thinking since this accident. After I hung up I was very angry about this. GM can and probably will say "nothings wrong" and I'm stuck with huge rental bill and possibly a defective car. I called back and left msg w/faith and her boss on answering service. I ask "what if I don't agree to these terms"" faith said the file would be closed. GM, this is serious, you can't offer a loaner car" the average small car rental is around $27 a day. I feel like this is a catch-22 situation. I had been planning since last year to buy the Chevy equinox - forget that. Brought car during the government rebate to trade old car in when GM. Now I'm stuck with a car I'm afraid to drive. I live in a city where drunk driving fatalities occur daily with texting and other careless drivers. Car also emits a strong sour smell when started but goes away after the windows are down some minutes. I loved this car but, sadly I hope its totaled - seriously.

- Converse, TX, USA

Aug 312012

Malibu

I was hit by a truck that struck the driver front end and side panel. I was moving about 1-15 mph (?)driver was texting and taling on bluetooth did not see us, cited for failing to stop. Other driver was driving faster than 15 mph making a left turn. She never put on brakes. None of the air bags deployed. Onstar never called like in the commercials on T.V. all passengers hurt enough to have to see a chiropractor 10xs for back, neck, knees, headache - all over body pain. Awful X-rays... chiropractor stated I'd been less hurt if bags had deployed. I the driver have to see a md tommorrow can't stand back pain. Called GM was told it may take 120 days to check car but I would have to pay for my rental during the process. GM can easily say nothings wrong to me and not pay for rental. GM rep said if I refuse the terms then case will be closed. Catch -22. I feel this is unfair GM should put safety first and offer loaner car. Texas has had a huge problem with fatalities due to drunks, texting or careless drivers from small cars to 18 wheelers. Love the Malibu but I'm extremely afraid to drive this car. Sadly, I'm hoping its totalled. Why is GM treating consumers like this. Brought car during rebate out of loyalty to help american company/jobs stay afloat. Thanks a lot GM. I just want car fixed or anoffer to buy another car - I was planning to buy a Chevy SUV prior to this accident. My Malibu also often has a strange sour smell emitting from air conditioner that goes away after the windows are left down for a few minutes - I just never had time to take it in for that. I always kept car in good maintenance as scheduled. Skipped on Ford now I'm adding Chevy to my " don't buy" list and will spread the word about my experience unless they come through with a better way to handle serious problems. Now I know how that Toyota driver felt. Thanks.

- Converse, TX, USA

Mar 152012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle on-star system performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the front bumper sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The current and the failure mileage was 95,000.

- Okland Park , FL, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu

Have told the dealership of these problems with the service airbag and service traction. Also I sent an email to the Chevrolet headquarters and received a call from them telling me that it was my repair not their fault. This past Friday the 20th I took the car again to the dealership as the service airbag light has been on constantly for the past two weeks. I was informed that the module was bad and I would have to pay $250 dollars ( my deductible since I have the extended warranty, paid extra for that when we bought the car). How can a module be bad on a 2 year old car is the issue I am having and why I have to pay to fix/replace it. I could understand if the car was older, but feel anything electronic that goes wrong with a car today now falls on the consumer.

- Dickson, TN, USA

Jul 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 10 mph, she crashed into another vehicle after the other vehicle failed to stop for a traffic light. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle sustained moderate front end damage. Both drivers sustained minor injuries but were not transported to the hospital. Both drivers were wearing a seat belt. The vehicle was towed to a local repair facility where the contact was awaiting an assessment of the damages by her insurance company. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 45,000.

- Warrensburg, MO, USA

Apr 122010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximate speeds of 15 mph, a vehicle crashed into the passenger's side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy upon impact, however the vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed at the scene. The contact was transported to the hospital as a precaution but did not suffer from any injuries. The vehicle was towed to a local towing company lot and had not been further examined to determine the cause of the air bag failure. The failure and current mileages were 9,000. Updated 08/03/10. Updated 08/06/10

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Oct 222009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the front passenger seat belt and air bag light does not come on when someone is sitting in the front seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that there were no codes for the malfunction. The contact called the GM manufacturer in regards to the repair; however, they didn't offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 15,500.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Apr 242009

Malibu

I was sb on shirley avenue in sioux falls, sd. I was making a left on a green light when a lady traveling eb ran a red light and hit me on the right front of my vehicle. My vehicle was totaled. I was injured. My vehicle is a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The airbags did not deploy.

- Humboldt, SD, USA