2010 Chevrolet Malibu brakes NHTSA complaints: Traction Control System

NHTSA — Traction Control System Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

2010 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jul 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu applied brakes and car continued to travel and not stop. On July 16, 2014, the consumer was involved in an accident, due to the above mentioned statement. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

May 282013

Malibu

Service ESC. Traction control off messes with transmission.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

There was an intermittent which caused the ESC and traction control lights to flash, the alarm to sound and the words that they were off plus the words traction control and ESC service to come up. At the time the cruise control disengaged. This occurred several times. I brought the vehicle to the dealer on Sept 16th and was told that I shouldn't be concerned about this intermittent. But it occurred again and then on 10/2/13 the warnings stayed N permanently for three days frightening my wife. I brought the vehicle in for service today and they said they fixed the problem using some dielectric grease.

- Marlboro, NJ, USA

Jun 242013

Malibu 4-cyl

When I start driving my car at a low speed the service traction control light comes on saying service ESC. Then it turns the traction control off. While this is on you can't use the cruise control, the car shakes, and the RPM's fluctuates abnormally. Also, when I turn the car off and turn it back on the light is off until I start moving again.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 022013

Malibu 4WD 4-cyl

The service ESC and traction light came on. I took the car to the dealership to be serviced. The told me it would cost about $700 to fix the issue. Two days later the light was back on. I called the dealership again and he said "oh that is bad." I took it back in and he apologized for not checking another option regarding this service. He told me it would cost another $500 to replace the electronic stability control module. This all happened about 2 months after the warranty ran out. I have been researching and this seems to be a common issue with the 2010 Malibu. The dealership also told me that this was a safety issue and that the brakes could lock up while driving down the highway.

- Russellville, AL, USA

Jun 042012

Malibu

I've had my car in the warranty repair shop 6 times in the last 3 months. First occurrence I was driving down the road and my warning lights came on for ESC off, service traction control, service ESC at 20 mph. They've replaced 4 parts on my car and today the same lights service traction control and service ESC have come on once again. It varies (speed doesn't matter) whether or not going down the highway or stopping in a driveway when it comes on but warning lights will come on when you touch the brakes. I also observed that the brake lights stay on while going down the road (when its dark outside) but when you apply the brakes the brake lights go off. I feel this could be dangerous if someone is following behind you and thinks that you have let off the brakes but you are actually slowing down. I don't think that they have an apparent fix for this issue as I see several reports from vehicles ranging from 2008 to 2012 online complaining about this same issue. I am to take my car back again for service next week to hopefully get it repaired but I am not so sure they are going to find the problem after already having it in there so many times for the same issue. It is intermittant. When you turn the car off after this occurs the lights will go off. Sometimes only for a short period other times for a week to 3 weeks before it comes on again.

- Windsor, MO, USA