2010 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jun 012011

Air bag warning light illuminates when pressing hard on brake pad and when making turns. Warning light in dash stays on the warning light may go off briefly when driving and it is required to brake hard, but illuminates again when brake is pressed. Sometimes, it comes on during normal driving without braking. Sometimes it comes on when the car is driven over a bump in the road. This malfunction makes it impossible to determine if air bags are actually engaged and will operate during a crash. The problem only increased after body control module (BCM) recall was fixed on the vehicle. It occurs every 1-2 days since the BCM was repaired. Local Chevrolet dealer has not been able to identify a problem and has not been willing to contact GM for information. Extremely concerned for passenger safety.

- Fillmore, IN, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the service ESC, traction control, and reduced engine power warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle independently lost power. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not taken in for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu 6-cyl

At 70 mph the cruise control shut off by itself and the service ESC light illuminated on the dash. I also noticed the brake lights came on when foot was off the brake pedal and shut off when I depressed the brake pedal. This has happened intermittently in the past 2 weeks. I took car into turan-foley Chevy dealership in gulfport, ms on 4/08/15 and they recommended replacing the bpp for $242.25, which I had them complete. They also said the problem may be caused by the ebcm-bpmu which would cost over $1100. The "service ESC" light came on again on 4/09/15. I have not noticed any performance issues such as I have read in other forums regarding decreased power. Recall # 13036 was completed on car 10/14/14 by dantin Chevrolet which according to what I have read was supposed to fix the problems I am now having. I mentioned this to turan-foleys service department, but they said they cannot re-open a closed recall. I wonder how many times my brake lights have not worked properly as I average over 700 miles a week. This is an accident waiting to happen. Please help!

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Mar 232015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving to work, I noticed the steering shake and stiffen up and I had loss of all power steering. Soon after that I had my driver side tire blow out and almost caused an accident. A couple of days later, I drove it to the dealership and the service representative told me that Chevy Malibu's did have a recall on the electric power steering pump and torque sensor but not for my model (ltz). Which didn't make sense to me. Just because it's a different trim, the parts would be different? it doesn't seem possible. If this issue is occurring in Chevy Malibu's, it should be addressed to all Malibu's regardless the trim of the vehicle. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

- Kearny, AZ, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu 4-cyl

Owner was driving car was informed that tail lights were not working by another motorist. Stopped at shop. Repair shop unplugged light harness and customer left then approximately 20 mins. Later smoke and fire was noticed coming out of the left rear trunk area at location of wiring harness area. This is the second wiring harness trunk fire this investigator has investigated on a Chevy Malibu in the last 6 months. A second fire was investigated with the same scenario on a 2006 Chevy Malibu that occurred on 8-11-2014.

- Chester , VA, USA

Sep 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the ESC warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Goddard, KS, USA

Sep 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the vehicle will lose power, engine will stop running, and vehicle will not restart. This has happened 6 times now (since late 2014) we have had it to the dealership on all occasions. First they could not duplicate the problem after the vehicle was started. Then they said it was the fuse panel, after it lost power and quit running after less than 10 miles they said it was an issue with the computer. We just got it back Saturday 2/14/2015 and today 2/17/2015 it happened again. Last time they said it was a problem with grounds 104 & 107 and did a global reset. We have E-mailed the CEO of GM and spoken to an executive from headquarters. They don't seem to comprehend the safety issues involved in a vehicle that will lose power at any time. Please help us. It is an unsafe vehicle. We are unsure of exact date/dates of each incident. The date stated above is an estimate.

- Westland, MI, USA

Jan 242015

Malibu 4-cyl

I received a safety recall notice via mail from GM due to a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety. The notice clearly stated why the (Chevrolet Malibu 2010) was being recalled. The reasons for the recall indeed persisted in the vehicle that I was currently operating so I had it serviced as stated in the notice to do. Messages such as: (engine power reduced, service ESC, service traction control, as well as service airbag) appeared. After a couple of days of having the vehicle serviced, the same problems that existed before resumed. What now!?

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle stalled with no warning several times. Also, the contact stated that the rear break light illuminated frequently when the brake pedal was not applied. The contact had to tap the brake pedal to get the light to turn off. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 171,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 052014

Power steering has failed. While driving approx. 15 miles per hour power steering warning comes up and anti-traction light came on at that point the steering wheel jerks to the left and hit the curb. Turned car off and back on to try and reset. This process works sometimes but not reset every time you do this we have to do it multiple times to keep going. This is a highly dangerous situation and I can see that the 2010 Malibu has had enough issues to get GM to add this car to the recall from 2008 and 2009 Malibu's.

- Saint Cloud, WI, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer changed address. The consumer would like to know, where can he take his vehicle to get fixed, regarding the recall.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Aug 292013

Malibu 4-cyl

8/29/2014 cruise control was not working on car along with traction control and ABS warring lights going off. Car was taken to a GM dealership to be looked at was told that rear speed sensors were not working and paid 200 dollars for a repair. Didn't even make it home and the same problem started happening along with brake lights that will not go off. Car was taken back to the dealership and this time they found frayed wire and fixed it for no charge. This still did not fix the issue. Was taken to another dealership charged a dx fee to tell me it was the BCM. Finally a recall was issued and when the part came in my care was taken in for the recall repair and this still did not fix the issue. I am paying for a care that I cant even drive. The brake lights will not go off and GM says that I can bring it in if its not from the recall I will have to pay another fee to have a dx done on it. Just really aggravated never again will I buy a GM product. Asked what I was supposed to do in the event of a crash resulting from others not able to see if I am stopping and was advised that GM would then be responsible...updated 01/06/15

- Hamilton , TX, USA

Jun 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

The traction control light comes on and stays on when I shut off the car it goes out, also my brake light stays on also when im going around a corner the car pulls to the left and it feels like its floating almost I brought it in ad they said it was separation, I just put new tires on it and it isn't right, also my electrical something is wrong the radio light will blink of then come on and go dim, there is also a almost grinding noise coming from thefront right tire, I paid alot of money for this car and I wish I would have got something different there seems to be alot wrong with it, I brought it in on warranty and they fixed brake light and that's it, and then they charged me for a loaner car, {friendlychev} can I be charged for a loaner car, and they didn't fix anything else when it wasunder warranty, I got scammed !!!!

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu applied brakes and car continued to travel and not stop. On July 16, 2014, the consumer was involved in an accident, due to the above mentioned statement. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Mar 052012

Malibu 4-cyl

When the cars had about 60000 miles the check engine light started coming on, gauges shut off, ac would not work gas mileage would drop after taking it to different dealer ships we had different reasons for the problem. All of the expensive and they were note sure it would help son by unhooking the battery it would sometimes clear the problem for a short time, but it would always return. Now with 100,000 and about first of 2014 the engine started shutting off while driving down the road, traction control would come on by itself and lower power light would come on plus all the other problems with two your boys this can be scary. We have had the recall done with the bms cable which didn't do anything to help the problem the dealership which was in West jefferson, nc left there tools in the car and note very professional, mack browns in boone said it had no recall were rude and didn't do anything. We have changed the cam shaft sensors and when we get he money another suggestion is the throttle body sensor which is part of an assembly which is expensive but we have no choice can't trade it in like this so were stuck. This is the worst car experience I have ever had no more Chevrolet for us.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Nov 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

I noticed many other people have a similar complaint for this particular problem. My driver seat belt is fastened, but the seatbelt light will come on and chime intermittently at random times while driving. I ensured all cables were connected, but this doesn't change the problem. I've inspected the seat belt buckle insert and there is nothing wrong with it because when I fasten my seatbelt, the light goes off. While I'm driving, about a minute later the light will come on and chime and then turn off, then moments later it will do it again.

- Key West, FL, USA

Sep 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was stopped to wait on oncoming cars to pass to turn left onto a street. As I was about to turn with my children in the car the steering wheel locked up and would not turn.if, my steering wheel would have not been turned already, as I was getting ready to turn, I would have been hit on the right side where my child was sitting. I had no option but to drive up on the curb. This is the same situation as the 2008 and 2009 model Malibu's which have a recall on them for steering:electric power assist system GM's recall #14V15300 recalled 3/31/14. Obviously this recall needs to be added to the 2010 model since it is still occuring. I took my car to the freeland chev. Where they had to replace the entire steering column due to the bad torque sensor. This cost me $689 to replace, I feel GM should take responsibility for this and add the 2010 model Malibu to the recall list so that I can be reimbursed for their error and so their customers that put trust in purchasing their vehicles are safe. To note I have contacted and spoke with several reps at GM none of which offered any type of help with this matter.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 302014

Me and my mother were driving down the road when my car came to a complete stop cutting off in the middle of traffic. Earlier that day my car seems as if it didn't want to start. If finally started and when it did the outcome was it cutting off in the middle of traffic. Several others whom I know that have Chevrolet Malibu's are also having this same issue and I think Chevrolet needs to take the time and check the ignition M.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Jun 182014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Sep 242014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Copiague, NY, USA