2010 Chevrolet Malibu electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2010 Chevrolet Malibu (Page 1 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

2010 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 292013

Malibu

8/29/2014 cruse control was not working on car along with traction control and ABS warring lights going off. Car was taken to a GM dealership to be looked at was told that rear speed sensors were not working and paid 200 dollars for a repair. Didn't even make it home and the same problem started happening along with brake lights that will not go off. Car was taken back to the dealership and this time they found frayed wire and fixed it for no charge. This still did not fix the issue. Was taken to another dealership charged a dx fee to tell me it was the BCM. Finally a recall was issued and when the part came in my care was taken in for the recall repair and this still did not fix the issue. I am paying for a care that I cant even drive. The brake lights will not go off and GM says that I can bring it in if its not from the recall I will have to pay another fee to have a dx done on it. Just really aggravated never again will I buy a GM product. Asked what I was supposed to do in the event of a crash resulting from others not able to see if I am stopping and was advised that GM would then be responsible.

- Hamilton , TX, USA

Jun 242014

Malibu

The traction control light comes on and stays on when I shut off the car it goes out, also my brake light stays onalso when im going around a corner the car pulls to the leftand it feels like its floating almosti brought it in ad they said it was separation, I just put new tires on it and it isnt right, ,also my electrical something is wrong the radio light will blink of then come on and go dim, there is also a almost grinding noise coming from thefront right tire, I paid alot of money for this car and I wish I would have got something different there seems to be alot wrong with it, I brought it in on warranty and they fixed brake light and thats it, and then they charged me for a loaner car, {friendlychev}178.00.how can I be charged for a loaner car, and they didnt fix anyhing else when it wasunder warranty, I got scammed !!!!

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu applied brakes and car continued to travel and not stop. On July 16, 2014, the consumer was involved in an accident, due to the above mentioned statement. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Mar 052012

Malibu

Wen the cars had about 60000 miles the check engine light started coming on, gauges shut off, ac would not work gas mileage would drop after taking it to different dealer ships we had different reasons for the problem. All of the expensive and they were note sure it would help son by unhooking the battery it would sometimes clear the problem for a short time, but it would always return. Now with 100,000 and about first of 2014 the engine started shutting off while driving down the road, traction control would come on by itself and lower power light would come on plus all the other problems with two your boys this can be scary. We have had the recall done with the bms cable which didn't do anything to help the problem the dealership which was in West jefferson, nc left there tools in the car and note very professional, mack browns in boone said it had no recall were rude and didn't do anything. We have changed the cam shaft sensors and when we get he money another suggestion is the throttle body sensor which is part of an assembly which is expensive but we have no choice can't trade it in like this so were stuck. This is the worst car experience I have ever had no more Chevrolet for us.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Nov 072014

Malibu

I noticed many other people have a similar complaint for this particular problem. My driver seat belt is fastened, but the seatbelt light will come on and chime intermittently at random times while driving. I ensured all cables were connected, but this doesn't change the problem. I've inspected the seat belt buckle insert and there is nothing wrong with it because when I fasten my seatbelt, the light goes off. While I'm driving, about a minute later the light will come on and chime and then turn off, then moments later it will do it again.

- Key West, FL, USA

Sep 182014

Malibu

I was stopped to wait on oncoming cars to pass to turn left onto a street. As I was about to turn with my childern in the car the steering wheel locked up and would not turn.if, my steering wheel would have not been turned already, as I was getting ready to turn, I would have been hit on the right side where my child was sitting. I had no option but to drive up on the curb. This is the same situation as the 2008 and 2009 model Malibu's which have a recall on them for steering:electric power assist system GM's recall #14V15300 recalled 3/31/14. Obviously this recall needs to be added to the 2010 model since it is still occuring. I took my car to the freeland chev. Where they had to replace the entire steering column due to the bad torque sensor. This costed me $689 to replace, I feel GM should take responsibility for this and add the 2010 model Malibu to the recall list so that I can be reimbursed for their error and so their customers that put trust in purchasing their vehicles are safe. To note I have contacted and spoke with several reps at GM none of which offered any type of help with this matter.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 182014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Copiague, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the parts needed were unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Muscle Shoals , AL, USA

Sep 062013

Malibu

Complained quite a few times to the dealership about the airbag light coming on and going off. First time we took it in at 35K miles they replaced the airbag harness. About 6 months pass and the airbag light comes on again, along with check engine light, traction control light, car runs ruff, so they come out with a broken fuel injection wire, a bad airbag cable connection and a bill for the repairs. Now the airbag light comes on and off as you drive. Its due in for the already brake switch recall so we let them know that the airbag light comes on and goes off. Three hours pass and here comes the counter worker with a $1500 parts bill for the replacement of side airbags dash airbags and the sensors...I will never buy a new car again. Rftbj./

- Martin, KY, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu

Interior electrical problem with the lights in the dashboard---dash lights (driver information center) and radio lights occasionally do not come on and/or frequently go off while driving. Radio will be working then aux imput device will appear and the radio stops working. Also the radio lights will tile at times and then start rolling in rectangular lines.

- Charleston, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was recently repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the traction light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. After the dealer inspected the vehicle, the traction light and ESC light illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Waynesboro, NC, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Coeymans Hollow, NY, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu

I noticed while driving one morning my brake lights were illuminated, but I was not depressing the brakes. When I pushed the brake pedal, the brake lights went off. At this very same time when I tried to set the cruise control, it would not allow me to do so. This has been an on-again, off-again issue. Some days it works correctly but other days the same problem persists. I researched online and saw that there was a recall by GM for this exact problem, recall id# 14V252000, but when I called the dealership and they checked my VIN # they said that my car was not under the recall, and that they would have to take my car and see if it happens to them in order to fix it. I read the recall and it is exactly the issue that I am having. Please help and add mine, and I'm sure others, VIN#'s to this recall before something horrible happens!

- Jenison, MI, USA

Aug 062014

Malibu

Temp. Gauge is not working and the air-cond. Is not working

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to brake system recall notice and consumer seeks a loaner vehicle until parts become available. Recall# 14V252000.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Aug 122014

Malibu

Vehicle was parked and caught on fire when it was not running. The vehicle was in use earlier in the day. The fire started under the hood and burned the entire front of the car and caused some interior damage as well.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Red Hook , NY, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu

Since I purchased my car there have been differant incidents that I didn't pay attention to. The traction, cruise control don't work properley, the warning light for the air bags appears and will stay on for awhile I've had problems with the lighting. As soon as I recieved the recall letter I called the dealer right away and told them about the problems, they looked it up and said I had to wait until the parts arrive. I'm very concerned about my safety I use my car for my family and will be having to make a long distance trip to pick up my daughter. What do I do in the meantime when my car is already having problems?

- Deming, NM, USA

Mar 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the instrument panel failed. The contact mentioned that the clock was reset, the low engine compression, and the check transmission lights illuminated. Additionally, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The failure occurred on four different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000 and the current mileage was 87,401. Updated 10/23/14 the dealer informed the consumer, the throttle body needed to be replaced. Updated 10/30/14

- Loris, NC, USA