2010 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 152013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the ESC warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Goddard, KS, USA

Dec 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and all at once the car lost power. The ESC, checking light, and engine power reduce come across the display. I could not go over 20mph, but I'm glad I wasn't far from home nor any car behind me at the time this happen. I will be taking my car to the dealership down the street from my house as soon as they open up at 0700 Monday, December 15, 2014 to get it check out. This scared me so bad that I don't know what to do. This is so unsafe for highway traveling.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Dec 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While at a traffic light, a chime was heard and the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the contact crashed the vehicle into the rear of another vehicle. The contact noticed smoke emitting from the engine. It was unknown if a police report was filed or if any injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu applied brakes and car continued to travel and not stop. On July 16, 2014, the consumer was involved in an accident, due to the above mentioned statement. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Copiague, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the parts needed were unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Muscle Shoals , AL, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Coeymans Hollow, NY, USA

Nov 142013

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving suddenly the car jerked (like a transmission error) and then the message on the display would show "service ESC" and "traction off". I brought the car in first to run an electrical test, where they reprogrammed a sensor (cost=$158.95). A few days later the very same issue happened and at this time when I came to a stop sign I went to accelerate and my car had shut itself off. I then brought it in where the found codes regarding the manifold absolute pressure (map) sensor problems. The service place then monitored both the computer data for the map sensor and the actual sensor data during test drive and found that when the problem occurs the computer data drops out but the sensor data remains the same, they suggested that it could be a possible wiring problem, and I agreed to have them replace the sensor.(cost+$275.15). Nothing happened until a few weeks later and the very same issue occurred. My husband played around with some wires and had noticed that there was a possible way that condensate could get into where the sensors were and so he fixed that issue. I have not had this issue since then. Just wanting to see if there is a recall for this problem and to get a proper fix.

- Jenison, MI, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

I noticed while driving one morning my brake lights were illuminated, but I was not depressing the brakes. When I pushed the brake pedal, the brake lights went off. At this very same time when I tried to set the cruise control, it would not allow me to do so. This has been an on-again, off-again issue. Some days it works correctly but other days the same problem persists. I researched online and saw that there was a recall by GM for this exact problem, recall id# 14V252000, but when I called the dealership and they checked my VIN # they said that my car was not under the recall, and that they would have to take my car and see if it happens to them in order to fix it. I read the recall and it is exactly the issue that I am having. Please help and add mine, and I'm sure others, VIN#'s to this recall before something horrible happens!

- Jenison, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to brake system recall notice and consumer seeks a loaner vehicle until parts become available. Recall# 14V252000.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the instrument panel failed. The contact mentioned that the clock was reset, the low engine compression, and the check transmission lights illuminated. Additionally, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The failure occurred on four different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000 and the current mileage was 87,401. Updated 10/23/14 the dealer informed the consumer, the throttle body needed to be replaced. Updated 10/30/14

- Loris, NC, USA

Jul 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

While on the highway the service traction control warning light came on as did the ESC warning light. I tried to engage the cruise control but it would not work. We stopped at a rest area and turned the ignition off for about 20 minutes. We resumed our trip with the cruise control engaged and traveled for approx. 10 minutes. At that point the warning lights illuminated and the cruise control would not work. Every time we drive the car now, the warning lights now come on within a quarter mile. I saw a recall for this same problem but was told my VIN number was not included.the car is at the dealers and will be repaired. Hopefully. I think my car and many others should be under a recall.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

First occurrence I was driving down the road and my warning lights came on for ESC off, service traction control, service ESC at 50 mph. At first it would only come on once every couple weeks but now it comes on almost every time I drive it. It varies (speed doesn't matter) whether or not going down the highway or stopping in a driveway when it comes on but warning lights will come on when you touch the brakes. I also observed that the brake lights stay on while going down the road (when its dark outside) but when you apply the brakes the brake lights go off. I feel this could be dangerous if someone is following behind you and thinks that you have let off the brakes but you are actually slowing down. I don't think that they have an apparent fix for this issue as I see several reports from vehicles ranging from 2008 to 2012 online complaining about this same issue. It is intermittent. When you turn the car off after this occurs the lights will go off. Sometimes only for a short period other times for a week weeks before it comes on again. I took my car to the local dealership but they were no help, didn't even test drive it. I was almost rear ended, other person in car screaming at me, yelling I have no brake lights. I just hope I do not have an accident.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Oct 092013

- Fowle, MI, USA

Jun 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate and the steering, ABS and traction control sensor lights would illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Avon, IN, USA

Apr 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

Car will alarm with "service escape" and "service traction" --- brake lights will then work opposite of what they should. When brakes are not being pressed they are lit but when brakes are pressed brake lights do not work. Happens intermittently but for several days at a time. Have also had cruise control engage itself while driving down interstate at approx 70 mph-- cruise control came on and sped the car up without it being set -- disengaged when brakes pressed.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Jun 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

My service ESC/service traction control indicator was flashing. It caused my car to stall, then the engine died in the middle of the road with traffic approaching behind me. I have had this problem before and it caused my brake lights to illuminate when not depressed and go off when the brakes were pressed. I am not sure if this was happening also as it was light outside and I could not see. The car started afterward and still periodically stalls or dies when the service ESC/service traction control indicator lights up. As of 6-13-14, I have not received notice that my VIN is affected by the latest recall for the brake light problem.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jun 042014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the brakes lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the brake lights illuminated independently. The contact also experienced difficulty disengaging the cruise control and the ESC warning indicator illuminated. The failures recurred sporadically. There was a recall related to the failures under NHTSA campaign id number 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure was 36,000.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

May 292014

Malibu

All in one weekend (while out of town) first the vehicle would not respond to cruise control commands (engage or disengage) if engaged through the steering column controls. The service ESC light keeps coming off and on at random while either sitting or driving. The ESC tracking is turned off. Brake lights will illuminate randomly when my foot is not on the brakes. Tapping the brakes gets the light to turn off, but it turns on again 5-6 seconds later. When I put my foot on the brake to slow down or tap the brake the light does not come on. The brake lights are only coming on when I'm at a complete hard stop. This is extremely dangerous as I have over a 40 minute commute into the city each day. Also, the seatbelt light and beeping is on even when my seatbelt is secured. I cannot afford to have these items replace, and I have 4 years to pay on this car! there is something seriously wrong with these items in my car.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Dec 032013

Malibu 4-cyl

Intermittent problem, occurring at least five times since date above. One or more of the following conditions noted: 1. cruise control fails to engage, or stops engaging. Indicator light on (/off wheel toggle switch), but no engage. 2. "service ESC" and alternating "traction control" warning with alarm tone on speedo cluster. Orange warning triangle illuminated, also. 3. brake lights constant on, with no foot on brake pedal. Or, brake lights can go off when brakes are applied. Confusing, possibly dangerous, to drivers immediately following. Once aware of this, fashioned a reflector fitting just behind the rear top mount brake light that reflects into my rear-view mirror. These problems can clear after car is stopped for a time (over 45 minutes) and may not appear again for another unknown interval. Already replaced (March 31, 2014) a brake position sensor switch ($186.60 - my cost) at local selling Chevrolet dealership. This did nothing to fix the problem and when asked, dealer claimed no knowledge of any tsbs or of others having issues similar.

- Norman, OK, USA