2.3

2010 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 182016

Malibu

Vehicle has service airbag on repeatedly, seat belt alarm goes off even when seat belt is properly fastened. While driving car suddenly lost power and service ESC, service traction control, engine power reduced. Car suddenly dropped down to 27 mph in the middle of traffic. I was able to avoid a serious accident by suddenly turning into a parking lot. This is very dangerous and can be fatal if occurs on freeway. No one can provide any reason as to why this keeps happening. I have no warranty on vehicle and purchased from a dealer 3 years ago. I have called the dealer and have had car looked at but the only suggestion is to blindly replace different sensors and parts. We need a recall done so no lives are lost due to this severe car malfunction.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Feb 122016

Malibu

While driving at various speeds, the service ESC, traction control, and reduced engine power warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Car also misfired. Taken to independent auto repair shop, throttle body replaced. Codes found at garage PO300, P2135. Began 2/12/16 and randomly happened through 3/9/16

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

Driving on the highway surrounded by 18 wheelers. Suddenly my traction light and service engine light came on and the reduced power notification came on, the car slowed to about 10 miles an hour very suddenly and the car was shaking violently. Pulled to side of road, waited and restarted car, worked fine for about an hour. This problem has happened multiple times on highway and in city - very dangerous. Dealership has been no help to fix the problem. Replaced throttle body and two sensors and issue still remains

- Colorado Springs Co, CO, USA

Jun 262015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel injector and wire harness failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Commerce Townshio, MI, USA

Oct 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

Fuel leak at fuel tank. Fuel pressure line at fuel pump module cracked and leaking fuel externally.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Aug 282014

Malibu

Gasoline leaks from top of gas tank. Excess flows down the side onto tank skid plate and exhaust pipes. Replaced the fuel pump immediately at $700 cost. The leak appeared to be coming from the fuel line coming directly out of the fuel pump. No gas odor has been detected since repair. I found out this to be a common issue for other Malibu owners. To me, having gasoline leaking onto exhaust pipes and it being a common occurrence should be addressed by NHTSA.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 182013

Malibu 4-cyl

After parking my 2010 Chevy Malibu, I can smell gasoline at the rear driver's side exterior (gas tank is on opposite side). This has been occurring for some time since I purchased the vehicle in March 2013. I don't know when I first smelled it. I also have had poor gas mileage since I purchased the vehicle. I finally mentioned it to someone and they told me to look up recall notices. There is no recall but I found many similar complaints from other Chevy Malibu owners.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 142014

Malibu

Vehicle lost throttle while driving on highway, had to pull over and restart engine. After an hour, exited highway to re-fuel. Engine died on the ramp without any warning on the highway, had to push it off the ramp and tow to the dealer for fuel pump.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Apr 142014

Malibu

The first time I was stopped at a stop sign when my car shut off. It would not started. I had it towed to the dealer, they said it was the fuel pump which they replaced. I had the car 1 day when it did the same thing only this time it shut off while I was driving, luckily it was not on a busy highway. After having it towed to the dealer they told me there were no codes coming up and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. After about an hour I received a call that they needed to send my car back to GM because they found metal shavings in the engine.

- Saint Clair, PA, USA

Sep 012012

Malibu

Purchased vehicle at 30K miles at beginning of year and within the same year towards the end of the year upon start up the vehicle begin making a loud exhaust noise (several occassions). I took the vehicle into the dealersship on two seperate occassions and they were not able to diagnose it and gave the excuse the the older the vehicle gets the more apt it is to make noises and such. I'm a very educated young lady and I knew that statement to be just as false as two left shoes on a left and right foot and thus expressed that fact to the dealership who should be educated in the car that they are selling when it comes to body parts and likely problems. Needless to say, after hitting the 70K mileage mark the vehicle air bag light begin to come on and off and still does; furthermore vehicle upon start up of the engine would lag as if something was not catching and preventing the vehicle from starting up properly, thus I would have to hold the key turned longer than usual. I am not satisfied with this vehicle at all. At 70K miles this vehcile should still be running flawlessly as it is regularly maintained and tuned-up. Purchasing this vehicle was an epic fail. I am shocked that certain models and years have not been permanently recalled and replaced by a vehcile of owners choice from Chevrolet (needless to say I probably would not purchase another Chevy car) for the headeache we have had to endure. I have an infant and a toddler and the uncertainty of vehicle operation on any given day at any given time on a practically new vehcile needs to be the least of my concerns!

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have been going through the same issue with my car for about 3 months now. I have had a issue with the ESC & service traction light. I took it to the jim ellis Chevy dealership ( paid $105 for diagnostic) and they told me it was the fuel injector, I told them that I had their fuel injector ( cylinder 1) replaced. They told me because it was aftermarket that I had to pay $267 to replace it. I took it to a local mechanic had him put in a GM injector and still was having the same issue, the mechanic replaced the engine wire harness, coils, shift solenoid, and none of this fixed the problem. He then stated that the base of the issue was the computer, I took it to get a second opinion and the next mechanic stated the same thing, after talking to another mechanic from superior Chevrolet, its the computer. I took it to superior Chevrolet and had another diagnostic done ( which was another $100) and asked them to please look at the computer since I was told twice it was the issue. They told me it was the injector harness and it would cost $320. This issue has been ongoing for too long and looking online many others are having the same problem, something needs to be done about this, customer are spending lots of money on an issue that seems to be ongoing.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Dec 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated and lost power independently. The ESC and check engine warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the fuel injectors would have to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not further serviced. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Tarkio, MO, USA

Jul 172012

Malibu

I purchased the 2010 Malibu, used from the dealership- they were the owners previously. I purchased it in Oct. 2011 and have taken it to the dealership 8 times in the 9 months of owning it. One time the entire driver side floor had 1+ inches of standing water in it, after a rain. The ESC light continued to come on and off- they couldn't locate any issue- the first 2 times I took it in for that. The oil life sensor never went off for service- I was at 10,000 miles since the last oil change. I took it to my real mechanic to have fixed. The battery went totally dead in it one day- they said it had bad cells in it. And it would also stall, and when going about 40 mph not accelerate, on inclines. That's when the ESC light would kick on, sometimes, and the RPM's would go up and down, all over the place. Finally made the dealership keep it until they figured out something- they kept it a few days, and called me numerous times asking me unrelated questions- they thought I was nuts, because they couldn't reproduce the issue. Finally- they told me a wire in the fuel injection had come loose. My car was so called 'certified' by the dealership- but I don't think they did any of the tests, or else they would have found some of these things themselves.

- New Lebanon, OH, USA