2010 Chevrolet Malibu wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 032016

Malibu

Rim leaks air. There are air leaks at the steel seams where the hub spokes are welded. In these areas, there does not appear to be any welding done at all.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 042016

Malibu

I have had 2 of my steel rim get cracks in theme is there a recall on theme, I also had 5 wheel lugs on the left front break and 7 on the right not from over tightening when I took it to the dealer thats what they told me at the time I had 1 on each side broken they I had theme repair em and 3 weeks later I had 2 on one side 1 side brake I replaced the wheel hubs.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 292015

Malibu

2010 Chevrolet Malibu manufacturer steel wheel are defected, and Chevrolet GM will not take responsibility for this manufacturing defect in the molding of the steel, at a cost of $233.84 from the dealers to replace. Customer service send me to bellamy strickland in mcdonough, ga and they also found the crack in the steel rim. There are many consumer complaints about this problem, dated as far back as 2008 from consumers. This will be the second steel rim I will need to replace at my expense. This is a hazardous and dangerous for the owner/driver and the public.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Dec 292015

Malibu

Wheel- "crack in rim" we purchase a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu in 2013 from ivory Chevrolet in union city, ga. Notice over time that passage tire kept going low, replace tire 2 twice, finally in 2015 bought all new tires from sears to resolve the problem but the passage side kept losing pressure, complaint to sear it not their tires but maybe a crack in rim. Bought a new rim for passage side now the driver side started doing the same thing when back to sear, it not the tire but the wheel has a crack also, call GM on 12/28/2015 the rep send me to bellamy strickland they stated "parts: 131139 wheel leaking from center piece where attached to outer rim, case number 8-1731278803, no case in system for steel wheels leaking recommended to replace wheel for $233.84". I have replace the right wheel (rim) now the left wheel is crack. There are a numerous of complaints from consumers about their steel rim cracking but GM and their dealership refuse to accept responsible for this hazardous and dangerous situation, I am asking for the NHTSA to look into this problem because the crack in the steel wheel indicates that the metal is weakened and vulnerable to failure that may cause dead or serious injuries to body and property.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Aug 022010

Malibu

1) GM is covering up a defect in rims ( not completely welded, I have the rim as evidence) 2) currently my service ESC, traction, air bag lights are all on ( so is my air bag gonna explode" is my car not stable enough to be driven") 3) 2011 I paid to have my car fixed because the brake lights stayed on. ( maybe had 3000 miles) 4) my brake lights currently stay on.( aprox 70,000 miles) 5) I have contacted GM several times, have not spoke to anyone. 6) when the car behind me can not tell if I am stopping because my lights stay on and I am killed along with the person behind me... maybe someone will listen.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The rim on my tire is not welded together....losing air daily and has been for a while but got worse. No impact at all this is a defect in manufacturing.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

May 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was T-boned by another vehicle on the passenger side of my car and the airbag deployed on the passengers side door and hit my daughter in the face. The airbag had fibers and such on it that was imbedded in my daughters eye. She had to have surgery to get it out.

- Terry, MT, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

Factory install steel rim is leaking air at the rim weld seal. Unrepairable and pose a serious safety issue. Purchase certified vehicle last year (June 2013) with a two (2) year warrant. Was informed rim was not covered under the warranty after one year.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 202011

Malibu 4-cyl

Steel wheel cracked in weld resulting in slow air leak and low tire. This has happened twice (on separate wheels) on this car which has never been abused or wrecked. This is happening so often to owners that it is difficult to find used wheels.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steel wheels cracked behind weld for second time causing small air leak and low tire, wheels never struck anything and were never abused. This also happened in 2011 to another of the wheels.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Malibu

Right rear tire consistently lost 5 to 10 lbs. Pressure every two to three days, believed to be temperature change related, perhaps slow leak. Tires had approximate 20,000 miles left on them, but grew tired of the constant problem. On 09/21/2013 replaced both rear tires with new tires, problem persisted. On 09/28/2013 had dealer replace with factory rim ($339.32) problem solved. On 02/15/2014 same problem front right, added air every two to three days for the past few weeks, and on 03/18/2014 left front began same issue. Now forced to replace both front rims, they will not be factory replacements.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Dec 112013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that she believed there was a nail in the tire due to the manner in which the vehicle was operating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was advised that the tire was cracking from two areas at the wheel rim. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 102013

Malibu

We had to continually add air to one tire. Thinking we a had a nail, we took it to a tire shop. The rim was defective. That was when the car had 41,564 miles. We replaced it. Another rim went bad after 50,688 miles. Rims should not go bad. There must be a defect in the fabrication of the rims and Malibu owners are paying for it.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 282013

Malibu 4-cyl

All four tires are losing air and have put air in 3 times. Have been told the rims are cracked and that this is a common problem with this car. Safety is of concern and it will cost $600 - $700 to fix. For what information I have GM is not doing a thing about it. I will not buy a GM car again if they do not resolve this issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 052013

Malibu 4-cyl

It has been brought to my attention that I have 3 areas in my rim to be crack along the crease of a 5 star rim. I was informed by a couple of experts that these type of rims has been causing alot of owner difficulties. I do not believe we should be held responsible for a manufacturing defect, especially when it is clear that there was not any negligence on the part of the owner. It is obvious that I am not the only that has had this problem and would like to have this investigated for a recall..at this time I am refusing to pay for the rim, because no one has given me a "make since" explanation as to the blame.. I have even went as far a filing a claim with General Motors to have them shuffle me back and forth between the dealership and their (GM) specialist. Something need to give. I feel our safety in involved at this point. Had I not had it check and continued with the fix a flat formula and airing up the tire, who knows what could have happened to me and my family.. please look into this issue, not just for me, but for thousands od Malibu 2010 ls owners... thank you so much for you immediate attention and concern in regards to this issue in advance.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 062012

Malibu 4-cyl

We have a 2010 Malibu ltz. One of the tires kept going flat. Took the car into the tire shop and the worker found a crack in the rim that could not be fixed. The entire rim had to be replaced at a cost of $200. This seems to be a common problem with these rims.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Nov 122012

Malibu

This is the second one to be replace. I thought the first one I replaced was an isolated case. I was on my way back from a funeral and stop at a dealers because the tire pressure was low. I know I needed some tries. I put on two tires and why the rim was off, they notice that it was bent. I had a problem last year with a rim that the dealer found a crack in it. Another customer had her Malibu in for service and they found out the her rim was bent also. On the internet, I noticed that this is not isolated as I thought it was. A crack or bent rim could cause a tire failure and may injure or kill someone. GM warranty doesn't cover this anymore. Oh I brought this car new.

- Fargo, ND, USA