2011 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012016

Malibu

My vehicle does not always flash the no seat belt sign. When driving unbuckled, the no seatbelt warning sign will appear and flash. However, after just a few moments the warning light will turn off. There have also been instances where the warning light won't even turn on when the seatbelt is not fastened.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Jun 132016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle began to decrease in speed when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle shook violently and all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred once. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 292016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 10 mph and the engine power reduced warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Dublin, TX, USA

Apr 072016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The engine power reduction, the traction control and the ESC warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brookfield, MO, USA

Mar 042016

Malibu

1/26/2016 I got my camshaft solenoid fixed due to my check engine light coming on. When it started to shake real bad with the dash lights stating that my engine power was reduced, loss of traction (something to that effect) I instantly put it in the shop. Then last week 3/4/2016 I was driving up to erie, pa from Ohio, which is about 4.5 hours away. I say a good 40 minutes from my destination it happens again right on the highway. Engine light comes on and the dash says that my engine power has been reduced and loss of traction (?). thankfully there was an exit near that I could get off at and as soon as I put my car in park it started to shake real bad. So I did what I did before and turned the car off to let it reset and then started it back up. It ran fine for the remainder of my stay until it came time for me to leave to go back home. This time I only got 20 minutes away from erie before it started acting up again, but it kept doing it. Talk about being frustrated 4.5 hours away from home in your car. Especially since I just got it fixed not too long ago. This needs to be on the recall list, because this is ridiculous.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Feb 282016

Malibu

Car intermittently loses power. Warning light for traction control comes on. Must pull over and let car sit for a minute before restarting.

- Langley, KY, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

The other day my 2011 Chevy Malibu started to violently shake coming out of a parking lot and then again while driving on a two lane road. This issue was frightening because I couldn┐T properly stop the car and almost got into an accident. The display indicated reduced engine power/traction/service ESC and the obd2 codes indicated P2135 (throttle/pedal position sensor/sw A/B voltage correlation). The Chevy dealership replaced the throttle body. I hope this does not happen again because the next time I may not be so lucky in getting out of this predicament unscathed.

- St. Charles., IL, USA

Jan 192016

Malibu

My 2011 Malibu while on the highway through a sensor code for multiple problems the first stating reduced engjne power, then service ES, service traction, service airbags etc... probably 8 codes. At which point on the highway I could no longer accelerate above 40mph creating a very dangerous situation for me. The car was jerking and shaking and the RPM was reving up between 500 and 1500 even after I stopped. I turned the car off fearing damage to the engine and called myhusband. He asked me turn it on again so I did and although it was now idling normally the engine light remained on. He suggested I continue my commute. I pulled back on to the highway and experienced this same dangerous problem 7 yimes between jackson mi and lansing mi. We took it in to a repairshopand they assessedwhat they could stating that it appeared to be a throttle body issue but they would have to take it apart to look at it. The mechanic also statedthat many of the Chevy made vehicles have had this problem and he was very surprised that therehad not yet been a recall on the part.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jan 132016

Malibu

The violently shakes almost as if it is about to die. It doesn't go over 23-30 mph. The car accelerates while holding the brakes. A message displays saying engine power reducing, service traction, service ESC. The car stalls while driving it on the street and highway. I'm scared of hitting someone while my foot is on the brake! my car is at 103K miles on it. I'm out of a car that I'm paying a note on. Its out of warranty. I haven't even had the car for a while year yet. The check engine light is on as well. The code for the check engine light is C0242. This is a very dangerous electrical problem. This should be a recall! many Chevy Malibu owners are having or have had the same issue!

- Monroe, MI, USA

Jan 082016

Malibu

After reading the many many comments here, I can say I'm lucky. Fortunately, I was not driving my car when things went haywire. I returned home from work today and my vehicle was fine. I had to run a few errands but when returning to my vehicle, I noticed this: Vehicle wouldn't start. Fast clicking sound when attempting to turn over. Doors locked and unlocked by themselves during this time. Service ESC, service traction, and ESC off appeared. Vehicle has yet to start and now have no power whatsoever throughout the vehicle. Very odd that this is not a current recall. Help?'

- Nevada, TX, USA

Sep 252015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the check engine, electronic stability control, traction control, and electric power steering warning lights illuminated. The vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. In addition, in rainy weather conditions, water leaked through the hood onto the brake lever and the steering wheel seized. The contact pulled over and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Dec 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to engine failure and requests reimbursement. The consumer's request for reimbursement was denied., because according to the GM, the repair that was performed, was not covered by the recall. The consumer stated he was stranded, due to loosing engine power. The dealer replaced the throttle body.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Dec 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ESC warning indicator illuminated and the speed decelerated to approximately 15 mph. The contact had to maneuver to the shoulder to a complete stop. The contact waited approximately ten minutes and the vehicle started normally. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 03/18/16 the consumer stated the throttle body was replaced at a cost of $500. Updated 03/30/16.

- Ft Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 012015

Malibu

I was driving down a side residential street, when I went to park noticed that the car was stuck in reverse. I wasn't able to put the car in park. The shifter began shifting into different gears and felt as there was no catch. I turned the car off because I didn't know what had happened. The key was stuck in the ignition, because couldn't put the car in park. I exited the car and the car started to roll backwards and hit the car behind me. I applied the emergency brake and the car still rolled in reverse. So I unhooked the battery cables and applied bricks behind the tires. I had a mechanic come to see what happened and he stated that this had been a recall on prior years of this model, but not the year of my car. I am afraid to drive the car and I went to the Chevy dealership in which they nothing about this part, but state many people have complained and nothing has been done. It is unsafe with this defect. The cable comes off the hook and you will not be able to apply a shift to any gear and the car will accelerate regardless. I don't want to put my infant in this car knowing that is a defective part that Chevy should fix. Not to mention the car seatbelts are a malfunction. Chevy this really needs to be looked at for this year make and model.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 252015

Malibu

Cruise control would not disengage until I hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ESC. Recall #14V252000 covered this problem but GM says my VIN was not included. This is a definite safety issue and needs to be expanded to cover all Malibu manufactured during the recall time frame.

- Kinsley, KS, USA

May 102015

Malibu

While driving the vehicle I suddenly felt a light jerking sensation. The service ESC and service traction control lights immediately came on. The vehicle jerked to a stop. Once the vehicle was turned off and then restarted the indicator lights are gone. I've had this problem several times in the past two months and have had it in the shop. The certified Chevrolet dealership changed the front wheel bearing. The car did well for a little over a week. Now the problem is reoccurring. The dealership also found codes for a fuel injection failure but were not able to "duplicate" the codes so no repair was performed on that. The service ESC and service traction control problem is dangerous. If I didn't have to go to work I wouldn't drive the car. It's a safety hazard as I am a long distance commuter. I have had all service and recalls completed since purchasing the car a little over a year ago. Dangerous!! I'm hopeful that our government officials will force GM to issue a recall to remedy the issue before people lose their lives.

- Postville, IA, USA

Nov 152013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled as the ESC, service traction and reduce engine control warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure numerous times. The failure mileage was 62,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Olin, IA, USA

Feb 192015

Malibu 4-cyl

On my way to work, I noticed the engine light on. Car got me to work fine. Checked gas cap just to be sure that wasn't the problem. Off work engine light still on, but car running fine. Did some running for about an hour. Got in the car to go home the light wasn't on, so im thinking maybe a senor bad. Driving home which was about a 30 minute drive. About half mile from my exit on the highway and engine light pops on, ESC light pops on, reduced engine speed follows. Thankfully I mad it home. Pressured on star for an on demand diagnostic check and its my throttle control system. Its an 2011 Malibu, next month makes a year that ive had it. Also the third time its going to the shop. First time was the intermediate shaft, the U joint dislocated lost all power to steer, thank god it happened in my parking lot at home fresh off the highway. Chevy only paid half and after a month battle with them, kicker was it was a recall for that but my VIN number wasn't included. Second time was for leaking transmission. So disappointed with Chevy and past fed up.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 2 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The check engine warning light, tc and asc warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Newark, AR, USA

Dec 182014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration and the ESC, traction control, and reduced power speed warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA