2012 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Mar 182016

Malibu

Was getting into my parked vehicle, and the seat broke. Took it to the dealership, and they said the weld that held the seat to the railing broke.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 262016

Malibu

Drivers seat became disengaged at the weld point underneath the seat while I was driving. Took the vehicle in and the dealer rewelded the seat. Picked the car up had it for less than a week seat pretty much disengaged from the bottom and the back while I was driving on a highway. While GM offered some assistance I am still out $500. For both repairs. After researching on line it appears other people have had similar complaints with this model year. Serious safety issue! my vehicle was never been in any accident that should have caused this problem. I've owned numerous cars and have never had a seat disengage. I truly believe this is a defenct in the vehicles seat frame.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Oct 202015

Malibu

The weld on a bar under the driver's seat broke while I was driving causing the driver's seat to move forward and to the right. This is a 3 yr old vehicle with low mileage it should never happen and can cause serious injury in an accident. I had a previous Malibu and this never happened. Please recall this part. I checked your other complaints and it is common!

- Babylon, NY, USA

Oct 132015

Malibu

Seat support welds broken prematurely causing seat to move unsafely when vehicle is in motion. If seat welds break while driving, it could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and cause a collision. In the event of a collison, drivers seat may come free and be unable to restrain the driver properly.

- Kirkland, AZ, USA

Sep 042015

Malibu

Welds have broken on the underside of the drivers side causing it to lean and tilt to the side. It is unsafe to support a person and could cause additional back injury while driving.

- Viroqua, WI, USA

Jul 062015

Malibu

Driver seat mount has broken at weld causing the seat to slant toward the center console. Very uncomfortable ride and feels very dangerous considering the seat now bounces up and down on that side of the seat when driving. Adjusting the seat with the power controls only makes it worse as it pushes harder against the center console. I have spoke to several dealerships and none are willing to do warranty work. I am not a big person and the only driver of the car. I have heard this is a common problem in this vehicle.

- Flint, MI, USA

Aug 182015

Malibu

My husband noticed this problem a few days ago. We drive the car everyday to and from work. On this particular day my husband asked if the seat usually lifts a certain way like the right side of the driver seat lifts last, and it kind of tilts to the right. So I was driving to work and I work about twenty minutes from home and the seat started to shift frontward and backward on the right side this is very uncomfortable and it feels a bit dangerous to drive with the seat like this. I would like to know how and why this happened. And I have only had the car since December of last year.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Jun 072014

Malibu

My vehicle was stopped at a traffic light. I was struck in the rear end by a minivan traveling about 50 mph. The drivers seat back broke at the bottom hinged area and left me lying flat on my back, still in the seat. This sent my feet flying straight up causing them to strike under the dash and breaking my toes.

- Wichita, KS, USA

May 282014

Malibu 4-cyl

I sat in the driver side seat and the seat completely broke on the right side. I'm now sitting slanted and being squashed against the middle console/arm rest. Whenever I get out of the car, which is very hard to do and drives me bat crap crazy, I feel I need a crane. Sitting slanted is very uncomfortable and is very hard when judging making turns/parking.

- Benton, AR, USA