2012 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 162015

Malibu

A couple of months ago, I was driving. 10mph or lower and all of a sudden my cars ESC turned itself off. I had difficulty steering it and veered off the road. Thankfully I was able to regain control. I reported it to the dealer, and when my car went in for it's 3rd recall in 2 years, they looked at it. They told me they could not get the problem to duplicate. Then today, as I was parking in NY driveway, I started rolling my windows up when I noticed they were particullary slow. I put the car in park, turned my car off, but the key back in and tried to restart it, only to hear clicking and my steering wheel to be completely locked up. Alot of indicators came on, including the cars security indicator. My car is at 66K miles, but we do routine maintenance and it has never been involved in a car accident.

- Gatesville, TX, USA

Jul 112015

Malibu

We purchased a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sept. 2014 and it has been serviced 3 X due to the power steering locking up while driving and failure to start several times. The car would chime and the gauges would all drop to 0 and the engine light, power steering, low fuel and anti-theft light would all light up making the vehicle very difficult to maneuver.

- Severn, MD, USA

Apr 202015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the service ESC and service traction warning indicators illuminated. On one occasion, the vehicle did not shift out of the park position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the brake modulator sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- North Chesterfield , VA, USA

May 112015

Malibu

I was driving 45 the posted speed limit, and all of sudden the car chimed 4-5 times and the check engine light came on as well as the electronic stability control light and then I went from 45 to about 15 quick and it now says engine power reduced. There wasn't that much traffic so I kept driving to get home but a couple minutes later it shut off completely so I 3 to a safe place to pull over tried to start after a few attempts it started up and was fine except it jumps and then acts like it's going to shut off.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 102015

Malibu 4-cyl

My car was serviced for a recall to repair/replace ESC and traction in approx. November. After my car was serviced the light came on weeks later but went away and didn't come back on until 3/5/2015. Every since than the gear shift gets stuck when in park and I have to cut car off and on sometimes in order for it to switch from park to reverse or drive. The car drives very sluggish as well since the service light came on.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module system/ brake apply sensor recall notice. The consumer stated he waited for the details to restore the safety of the vehicle. However, unable to wait any longer, he was forced to sell the vehicle.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Feb 182015

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle has random loss of electronic steering assist, which leaves no power steering. Also service ABS, ESC and traction warning lights, eps causes vehicles steering wheel to shake without vehicle being in motion. GM recalled thousands of Malibu's in Feb. Of 2015 for eps issues but my year is not included. Coincidence? highly doubtful. Vehicle it's scheduled for diagnosis on Wednesday. Car was repaired for an earlier recall concerning brake systems.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer wants to be reimbursement for repairs due to recall for vehicle.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Aug 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the power steering would turn off and it is very difficult to drive (steer). The problem is that it has electronic steering control module which warms up and cuts out the power steering. It will display "power steering service ESC" and symbol comes on. This is an unexpected ongoing problem like in the morning it will be O.K. but late in the afternoon it could happen while driving.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was not available. The dealer indicated that it would take months before an appointment could be scheduled. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module recall notice. The consumer stated while driving, the air bag deployed and caused him to have an accident. The consumer was injured. The consumer sent in a recall notice along with his complaint.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu

When the traction control is engaged when you touch the gas pedal after a complete stop if there is a light coating of moisture on the road surface the vehicle will slide to the right. This happens all of the time. I have brought this issue to the dealers attention and they made note of it. As a result I turn the traction control off as I am afraid an accident may occur.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

On numerous occasions, when I'm approaching a yellow light and/or a car that's in front of me while only driving approximately 20mph, when I attempt to apply my brakes I have to apply a lot of pressure to get my car to slow down and it honestly feels as though my car isn't going to stop. I would hate to be driving my car one day and my car doesn't stop and I'm involved in a car accident that leaves me severely injured or takes my life and/or someone else's life as well. Also, many times I have to apply a lot of pressure to my gas pedal in order for it to accelerate and actually move. I understand that my vehicle has been recalled and the dealer is waiting for GM to provide them the parts in order to repair my vehicle, but I don't think my life should be at such risk while waiting for GM to receive parts. Am I suppose to just keep driving around hoping my car doesn't give out on me in the middle of the road even though there is a known extreme safety hazard with my vehicle" my life is more valuable than that. Could I be provided a rental vehicle until GM provides the parts to repair my vehicle? or could I be refunded for my vehicle? seeing that there has been numerous car accidents and serious injuries related to this particular defect within the vehicle, I should not be driving my vehicle until it is fixed. Otherwise, I could be the next person involved in a serious car accident. So in closing, I would like to know if I could be placed in a rental car until my car is repaired or refunded for the price of my vehicle"

- Prattville, AL, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

My son was driving my car down a two lane highway. It had been misting rain and the road was slightly damp... approaching an intersection he reduced his speed to approx 40 mph. Two cars ahead of him slammed on breaks when the light changed to yellow. This caused a chain reaction... cars sliding to prevent hitting the first car. My son said that he was breaking very hard when the anti-lock breaks engaged... they pulsed 3-4 times and then released which shot him straight into the back of the truck. He said that he was pushing the break as hard as he could when this occurred. The air bags did not deploy nor did the automatic crash response system work. I called on star to see if the system even shows a crash and it doesn't. I think that considering the crash bent the frame in the front end and is in excess of $6,000 you would think the sensors would have picked up on something. After the crash I contacted my dealer to ask if there were any recalls on this issue and was told there were not. I am very thankful that this crash did not result in a more serious injury / death.

- Callahan, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Since I purchased my car in the later part of 2012 (used with 40000mi) I have had several incidents starting with the radio, when I turned on the rear defrost the radio would go to complete static on all stations. While traveling approx. 30mph the service engine light would come on then after stopping the car and restarting the light would go off as well as minimal turning to the right the service ESC light would display, in addition to the remote start not working half the time, I have replaced the key fob and gotten a new key and still the same problem exist. The dealership has replaced the radio with a brand new part and still the stations are not clear and while sitting in the car parked all of the lights in the dash sometimes come on for service and the car would idle low then high. The lights in the dash will sometimes completely dim and the display on the radio will be digital. My car now has about 65000 miles on it, and still the car sometimes stalls at stop signs, will be without power and the service ESC displays as well as service engine. This has happened too many times to count at this point. Tuesday May 6 2014 my husband was driving approx. 25mph all the lights in dash came on and engine stalled on him so he restarted the car, upon restarting all the lights in the display turned off. Saturday May 10 2014 the radio was complete static...this is a constant issue, I keep my gas tank plentiful and have only owned GM vehicles. I am researching other makes at this point.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Apr 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

Started my 2012 Chevy Malibu up and power steering light came on and also service ESC. Car had no power steering. This was after the first night of events I was at. So I drove it to the hotel I was at. Found out when trying to correct the problem that it has a electronic power steering. Drove it to a dealership but they couldn't service it on the weekend. I was 3 hours from my home at an event. So I drove it back to my hotel with no power steering. So I drove for roughly an hour with lights on and no power steering. Then was about to head to the day two of the event about 5 hours later and everything works again. I don't know what I need to fix on it at all now. My girl friend was driving when the power steering messed up and she never has lost power steering before and she couldn't even turn the wheel. So I had to drive it for her.

- Robinson, IL, USA

Jan 152014

Malibu

07/2013 service ESC msg and symbol came on, dealer unable to find 01/07/2014 same 01/15/2014 again, GM paid half of the repair, because the first time it happen and was notice by dealer, I believe GM should paid the whole cost, as this is a safety issue, effects steering and stabilization of the vehicle.

- Burtbarnett, TX, USA