2012 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 162016

Malibu

I was driving at 60 mph in cruise control on a straight road. An ambulance was heading towards me so I stepped on the brakes to slow down and pull over and the car accelerated very quickly. This was a very dangerous situation because I was moving towards the shoulder of the road because of the oncoming ambulance. I had to turn off cruise control to be able to apply the brakes. The brake lights are also not coming on when I apply the brakes. The problem with the lighting happened previously and was repaired on 04/28/2015. I thought the problem was included in recall #13036 but I was told that it was a problem with the brake switch and was not part of the recall however when I look up the recall numbers on my vehicle this recall number does not show up as still needing to be done. I paid for the repair and I am now having the serious problem of the brake lights not working again plus the even more serious problem of the brakes not working when I am in cruise control. I do not know how to proceed with having this problem corrected. The recall problem has not been repaired correctly or there is another problem that is occurring. I have attached a copy of my receipt of the repair that was done on 04/28/15.

- Ellenburg Depot, NY, USA

Apr 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The traction warning light illuminated briefly. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning and would require multiple attempts to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failures was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Fogelsville, PA, USA

Dec 072015

Malibu

Hard to shift out of park and the traction control disable comes on and the brakes lights will quit working and the stability control shuts off while driving down the road. I researched and I see there was a recall for all this. Recall # 14V252000 is all the same symptoms I am experiencing and I called the dealer and they said my VIN is not listed. This needs to be taken care of I was almost rear ended twice due to the brake lights not working when it acts

- Onalaska, WI, USA

Nov 222013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard and caused the cruise control to malfunction. In addition, the seat belts did not latch and the vehicle crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head, back, and legs injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The vehicle was included in a manufacturer recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Martin, TN, USA

Dec 022015

Malibu

While driving home one night last week, going about 60 mph, my engine cut off. I had to steer the car off the road, and started it back up. Drove another half mile or so, and the car did the same thing. This time, the car would start then immediately shut off. Car would not stay cranked for more than 1 second or so. Took car to dealership the next morning, car fixed under power train warranty. The very next, day, engine shut off while at a complete stop at a red light. Car would not start back up, had car towed to dealership. Dealership has had the car for 5 days now, still cannot figure out what the problem is. The car shutting off while driving is not the first time this has happened, every time I have reported to dealership, and they cannot fix my issue. This is a very serious matter, I have involved Chevrolet customer care, and would like to hear from a GM corporate representative.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Mar 112015

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact had the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the failure recurred. While driving approximately 45 mph, the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 02/12/16 the consumer has since sold the vehicle. Updated 02/22/16.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 272015

Malibu

Power ESC, traction control, reduced power to engine, and tire lights all came on. Car would not go over 30 mph. Car was hesitating and cutting off and once placed in drive car took off by itself with rpms at 3 and same with reverse, I took foot off brake and car took off in reverse with rpms a bit over 2. air conditioning will not work steadily and its been to a few shops and brakes will not work properly and they have been changed twice.

- Morton, MS, USA

Aug 182015

Malibu

The engine light came on and a code read engine power reduced service ESC. My car was shaking and would not gain speed. I was finally able to make it off the highway and stopped to see if I could figure out what was wrong. Could not see anything wrong. We got back in the car and everything seemed to be working okay now so we headed home. We got almost home when once again my car lost all speed and we were almost hit by another car.this has happened on several occassions.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

May 112015

Malibu

I was driving 45 the posted speed limit, and all of sudden the car chimed 4-5 times and the check engine light came on as well as the electronic stability control light and then I went from 45 to about 15 quick and it now says engine power reduced. There wasn't that much traffic so I kept driving to get home but a couple minutes later it shut off completely so I 3 to a safe place to pull over tried to start after a few attempts it started up and was fine except it jumps and then acts like it's going to shut off.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

Do not remember when I brought my car in for campaign 14V252000 maybe approx. A year ago. The problems the car was having before I had the recall done have started again. Up until now haven't had any problems. My dealer wants to charge me to fix it.

- Liberty, TX, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module system/ brake apply sensor recall notice. The consumer stated he waited for the details to restore the safety of the vehicle. However, unable to wait any longer, he was forced to sell the vehicle.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer wants to be reimbursement for repairs due to recall for vehicle.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was not available. The dealer indicated that it would take months before an appointment could be scheduled. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module recall notice. The consumer stated while driving, the air bag deployed and caused him to have an accident. The consumer was injured. The consumer sent in a recall notice along with his complaint.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Jun 192014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving on the highway I used the cruise control. I stepped on the brake to slow down but the brake would not release. It frightened me, I stepped on the brake harder it still did not release I had to press off the cruise control button on the console. This happens all the time now. It is an inconvenience and scary.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jul 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number:14V252000 ( electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Nov 162012

Malibu

I have to press gas pedal down more then needed as it feels car lacks power. To go up a hill it lags I shouldn't have to press on petal harder to go.

- East Norriton , PA, USA

Sep 152012

Malibu

TL- the contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air pressure sensor illuminated multiple times intermittently. The authorized dealer reset the code and the failure recurred. The contact had difficulty activating the cruise control and had to make multiple attempts to get it to work. Also, the battery had drained intermittently and the window wipers had to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5. pam

- Marrietta, GA, USA

Sep 262012

Malibu 4-cyl

Transmission constantly slips, when trying to accelerate it does not catch up and revs really high. Transmission has locked up once and it has been replaced by the dealership; however that issue still happens on a regular basis. 2012 Malibu lt, I would like this issue investigated and GM held responsible for selling me a lemon car with a defective transmission that has not run correctly ever since my purchase in 2011. I have the paper work that shows the replacement of a defective transmission on a new 2012 Malibu that I purchased.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 062013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated. The contact mentioned that the engine powering down and the low traction control warning lights illuminated. In addition, the contact mentioned that the headlights would stop working sporadically without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 89,000.

- Jarratt, VA, USA