2.4

2012 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 302016

Malibu

While transporting school aged passengers in my car during the heavy morning rush hour traffic, my car starting decelerating without any type of prior warning signs. No icon lights (I.e. check engine, battery, etc.) on the dashboard came on to indicate that there was some type of problem. This was scary. I managed to pull over. Once on the shoulder, my car stopped completely. It would not restart. We felt the violent vibrations as the oncoming cars sped past us on the interstate as we sat for ten minutes trying to restart my car. My car would try to start, but it was not getting the need fuel even though I had a full tank of gas. I tried pushing down on the gas petal to assist, but it did not work. Eventually, my car started and we made it to our destination. This was the first time that my car cut off on me while driving. I was able to drive it to a reparable licensed mechanic business, I was informed that my car was not throwing any codes. No repair work could be done. On another occasion, my car would not start. I driven it a few hours ago. It did the same thing. Again, no icons on the dashboard illuminated. After it started, I took it to a different mechanic shop. I had my fuel pump replaced. This was extremely costly. My car worked for about a week; however, the problem was not fixed. My car would not start even though I was giving it fuel. I had my car towed to the dealership. I was informed that there was a hole in the line leading to the fuel tank. The line was cut where the hole was located and replaced. My car worked for a week before the problem reoccurred. I had my car towed back to the dealership. I was told that the problems were the fuse block, the wire harness, and that a line had burned over the fuel pump or tank. Not only is this expensive, but fire and gas is scary. Hopefully, my car will be finally repaired.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 202016

Malibu

At first the car would not turn over when trying to start, happened when using key in ignition as well as using the remote starter, this was random. Would run fine for days, sometimes for a week, then it won't start. Also as the weeks went by while idling at a red light, the car just quits running, couldn't get it started, after several tries, it starts (thankfully). Also happened while in park, car just stops. Also while driving on the interstate the car all of a sudden will not accelerate, press on gas pedal...nothing. Until today after a few seconds and the car suddenly starts to accelerate. Engine light came on few weeks ago, stated it was the cam shaft position sensor ($120), therefore we replaced both sensors. No change! oh we also replaced the fuel injector sensor in the back. Husband read someone else had the same problem and he recommended hitting the box in the trunk (where the fuel sensor is, etc) and your car will start up. Sure enough, the next time my car wouldn't start, I hit that box a few times, and car started.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Dec 122016

Malibu

When filling gas into tank flow is restricted to the point fuel gushes out onto ground and person. Some internal blockage slows entry. Heard similar from other owners. Occurs on every filling. Fire hazzard!

- Regina, Sk. Can, ND, USA

Nov 012012

Malibu

Takata recall. While on the highway going 60 mph I lost all power to my vehicle almost causing a few accidents. I pulled the car over and had it towed to a shop. They had to push the car into the shop due to it not starting. After throughly looking and checking everything the dianosic test did not revel anything. The mechanic then banged on the rear fuse panel (trunk) the car then started. The panal is shuting my fuel pump off. The fuel pump has been tested the fuse relays have been tested. The problem is faulty fuse box and wires connected im assuming. After 2 weeks and 3 mechcanics my car is still not running.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 222016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the security warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was diagnosed or repaired, but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 122016

Malibu

While in motion more than two dozen times on city streets, on busy highways and while turning in a busy intersection with children in the car. 2012 Chevy Malibu stops while in motion on the above stated streets, highways and intersections. Read where someone beat on the rear fuse box then car starts so I tried it and it works for a little while but doesnt solve said problem. Checked battery. Battery is good. Check engine light and ESC light stays on. ESC light only goes off at high mph. Have to let car sit for awhile to start before knew about fuse box trick. Someone that tried to help me get off middle of busy street said it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 022015

Malibu

2012 Chevy Malibu on 3rd recall list. 1. brakes 2. seat belts. 3. throttle-position sensor. But you say your not going to repair 3rd item unless I have a problem.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. On several occasions, the vehicle would not start. Also, while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The fuel pump was replaced on two occasions; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,700.

- Leesburg, OH, USA

Jan 232015

Malibu 4-cyl

For the past 2 weeks, I had a problem with my car starting. I would drive to work fine but when I would leave from work my car wouldn't start. Initially, I thought it was the battery so I had it jumped. I immediately took it to autozone to have the battery tested. I was told the battery was in excellent condition. My father advised to put heet fuel injector cleaner as it was extremely cold and he thought maybe water got into the fuel line. Well that same day after stopping to pick up my child for 5 minutes I shut the car off. It wouldn't start. I called the tow company but after waiting on hold 20 minutes later I start my car at the direction of the roadside assistance tech. It started. Then it happened again a couple of days later but I let it sit and tried it again. Car ran fine for a week then as I was leaving for lunch today it wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. Come to find out that the fuel wires melted onto the fuel box and they had no idea why. This sounds like a serious matter because I wonder what would've happened had I continue driving with melted wires on the fuel box. Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. I felt that this is some type of defect because that isn't normal wear and tear.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

In June 2014 car wouldn't start after sitting 4 hours towed in said theft system made new key which I had to pay for, towed in again 3 days later same problem, started for dealer in am another $120. 4 days approx later again got to work then wouldn't start. Replaced rear U-bec, wiring harness junction block, relay, because melted connector with five leads 30 amp fuse. Then 9/23/2014 car started got to daycare within 5 minutes of being off no start. Waited then started ten minutes later. 9/272014 got to work lunch time no start same wanted to start like getting no fuel then 3 hours later started drove to dealer.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Nov 162012

Malibu

I have to press gas pedal down more then needed as it feels car lacks power. To go up a hill it lags I shouldn't have to press on petal harder to go.

- East Norriton , PA, USA

Jun 112012

Malibu 4-cyl

I am experiencing erratic throttle response and erratic transmission shifts in my 2012 Malibu. The inconsistent delays in throttle response pose a safety hazard. This issue is compounded when it affects the transmission shifts. When you push the accelerator you do not know if you will get immediate response, or delayed response, nor how sudden that response might be to the extent of almost losing control of the vehicle. The transmission shifts are not consistent. While driving down the interstate I have had it shift 2 gear down, and other times it has not shifted up to a higher gear. When both issues occur at once it is extremely hazardous. The only reason there was no accident is the other drivers realized something was wrong and were able to slow down and avoid hitting me by driving around me on the shoulder.

- Bentonville, AR, USA