2012 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Oct 302016

Malibu

Pulling out of a parking space, all of a sudden my steering wheel does a quick jerk, my traction light luminates and then service ESC comes up on the display and then power steering shows on the display and at that point iost power steering assist and at this point I could not turn the wheel at all, I had no control over the car at this point. I put the car in park, turned it off for several minutes and then turned it back on and power steering was back. This is unexceptable...what if I had been on the free way going 70 miles per hour and lost power steering. This very issue was a recall on the recalling certain model year 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu(s) and obviously it is still an issue with the 2012 model. I have had no issues with steering prior to ths day it happened 10/30/16 and no warring power steering assist was going to fail. Fix it once and for all GM. Do your customers have to be seriously injured or worse in order for you to get this right!!!! now we have to find the power steering unit and get it fixed because my car is literally a death trap. Also, the interior lights (dome) and headlights start flickering after 10 mins to 60 mins into my drive like there is an electrical issue. Also, the rear defrost stopped working and I can't see out the rear window, I have to drive with the windows down to try and hurry the process along and that is not fun when it is freezing out side!

- Buford, GA, USA

Sep 262016

Malibu

This is the fourth time I am put in a new head light on this driver side. I have also change the wiring on both side. The wiring keep burning out. Have to change the wiring on the drivers side again burned out again. These bulb are $ $21 each title of $ $80 pluse wiring at $18 each =$ $36. All this in 3 months. This is crazy. I am on a fixed income. Please tell me this is on the recall list. I can not keep putting lights and wiring in this car. I have to finish paying for it as well. Recall no. Is 13036.

- Newpoer News, VA, USA

Apr 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the low beam headlights failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the low beam headlights melted the halogen connectors. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 032016

Malibu

Low beams are to low for night time driving can they be adjusted? can't see very far so have to use brights very dangerous for oncoming traffic also. Also the interior lights, instrument lights, get real dim either driving or stopped, so dim gauges are hard to read. After a while they come back on.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Nov 302015

Malibu

Water inside headlights. Right headlight assembly replaced 6 months ago, now have water inside left headlight, dims the light, will have to replace, will be serviced 12-17-15. I have noticed quite a few of the same model with the same problem. I believe that this is a safety problem that should be addressed by GM.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Jul 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the headlights failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who diagnosed that the light socket needed to be replaced. The vehicle repaired however the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 88,000. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Batonrouge, LA, USA

Mar 112015

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact had the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the failure recurred. While driving approximately 45 mph, the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 02/12/16 the consumer has since sold the vehicle. Updated 02/22/16.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu

Since September of 2014, the low beam headlights on my Malibu have repeatedly gone out. The latest two incidents in March 2015 (passenger side) and June 2015 (drivers side) have resulted in the socket burning out. There is a forum where many drivers have noted this same issue. I was told it sounds like there is an electrical issue with the harness and that it is a very serious issue and could lead to a very bad situation. I've called and complained to Chevy but they claim that they have no prior complaints which I find hard to believe. This is a very expensive issue because of how they have constructed the vehicle. Please force them to fix this issue.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

Apr 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

Do not remember when I brought my car in for campaign 14V252000 maybe approx. A year ago. The problems the car was having before I had the recall done have started again. Up until now haven't had any problems. My dealer wants to charge me to fix it.

- Liberty, TX, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module system/ brake apply sensor recall notice. The consumer stated he waited for the details to restore the safety of the vehicle. However, unable to wait any longer, he was forced to sell the vehicle.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer wants to be reimbursement for repairs due to recall for vehicle.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Nov 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

The interior light panel went completely dark, after a few minutes it lit up again. This has been happening more frequently lately. The radio stops playing and the panel reads "auxillary mode"and then back to radio, then back to "auxillary mode". I have to turn the radio off and on for it to start playing again. It is happening more frequently. When I plug in my auxillary cord to listen to my ipod, it shorts out. The clicker to unlock/lock the car stopped working as well, so I went to get a new batery. They tested the battery and said it was fine. Also my rear defroster does not work at all now.

- Sioux City , IA, USA

Apr 112014

Malibu

The interior light panel went completely dark, after a few minutes it lit up again. This has been happening more frequently lately. The radio stops playing and the panel reads"auxiliary mode". I have to turn the radio off and on for it to start playing again. It is happening more frequently. When I plug in my auxiliary cord to listen to my ipod, it shorts out. The clicker to unlock/lock the car stopped working so I went to get a new battery. They tested the battery and said it was fine. My rear defroster does not work at all.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was not available. The dealer indicated that it would take months before an appointment could be scheduled. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module recall notice. The consumer stated while driving, the air bag deployed and caused him to have an accident. The consumer was injured. The consumer sent in a recall notice along with his complaint.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Sep 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the brake lights failed causing another vehicle to crash into the rear end of the contact's vehicle. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. After the crash, the contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) had exceeded the reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the parts were not available for repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repair. The contact had not experienced the failure. The VIN was not available.

- Tucsan, AZ, USA

Sep 182014

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle high mount third brake light failure after 60,000 miles. May affect visibility when stopping.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 202012

Malibu

While driving on a state highway, I had a number of functions stop working. The problem could come and go for a week before it happened on all ignition cycles. Note, the problem could even come and go on 1 ignition cycle. The following stopped working: Windshield wipers, heated seats, power windows/sunroof, power doors, power mirrors, blue tooth interface, dome lights and mirror / compass. Dealer has replaced body control module and vpm. Fixes seem to work for approximately 10-12 weeks before issues resurface.

- Carmel, IN, USA