2012 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 222016

Malibu

My car won't go when stepping on the gas peddle in drive. When I stop at the light or to brake the car won't go when pushing the gas peddle in drive it doesn't do anything. I had to have the car towed 2X due to this issue. I only have 67K miles on this car. I've been told it's the transmission problem and need a new one. This should not be happening with the car. This is danegerous and unable to drive at this point. The dealer won't do anything about it. I should still have the warranty of driver train and nothing is being done. I've read several complaints of the same exact car having this issue obviously it's a defect. I want to contact GM about this I was almost killed when my car won't go stuck at a intersection. Also the recall on my seatbelt : steering the dealer is saying no active recalls which there is. I'm getting frustrated with these issues and nothing is being done. I'm reaching out to every entity possible before something happens to me or someone else with this faulty car. The airbag fault like occasionally comes on for no reason at all, then goes off then comes back on. These are issues that the GM needs to rectify. After reading online about the many same issues the 2012 Malibu has GM needs to intervene and help the owners get these faults fixed. There are way too many online complaints. Laura bermudez houston tx 732-619-6498 please help

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 202015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 152016

Malibu

Takata recall- service airbag light comes on intermittently.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jul 122016

Malibu

Takata recall - I was in a car accident on July, 12 on hwy 40 in St. Louis mo. Both officers on the scene and the tow truck driver said the air bag should have deployed. The car was a total loss. I was going about 40 mph on the hwy, I ran into the back of a van, I was the last car of 4 cars.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

Jul 142016

Malibu

Traveling at approximately 35mph on a city street. 2003 Ford pickup pulled out in front of our car. We hit drivers front fender. Our car veered off of truck rolling onto drivers side uprighting back onto wheels and stopped when it hit a barrier fence while crossing three traffic lanes of the four lane road.

- Amboy, WA, USA

May 202016

Malibu

While on a trip the passenger air bag warning light came on while driving on highways while on vacation. This happened in May 2016 and also May 2015 while on vacation. I checked on line and it states the air bag is disabled when the learning light comes on. On line it stated back in 2004-up through 2012 they had several complaints on this, they found a problem with the wiring harness and had to do upgrade called a soft recall.I called on star and asked about recalls regarding the warning light for air bag, they said no recall on that. I requested a case be opened on 6-2-2016 and have not heard anything. Why would this warning light come on for a week every may? we do several miles of traveling mostly less than 300 one way trips yet it has only come on in May. I called my local dealership and they said no recall on that warning light either. Previously I had a 2009 Malibu which I purchased mainly because of the safety of all the airbags. If I or may passenger is in danger at any time with the airbag disabled it's not safe, period.

- Phillips, WI, USA

Jun 222016

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Upon starting the vehicle, the service air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 08/03/16 according to the repair invoice, the driver side air bag coil failed. Updated 08/10/16.

- West Mifflin, PA, USA

Jun 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after some time. In addition, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The air bag and anti theft warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,261. The VIN was unavailable.

- Greenville, MS, USA

Dec 182015

Malibu

At approximately 45,000-50,000 miles "service airbag" light would come on intermittently. Took into dealer, not covered by extended warranty because the seats were involved with the issue on some level. GM would not pay for the repair though the car was less than 2 years old. Dealer did something and light stopped coming on. Now at 85,000-90,000 miles the light is back on for days at a time. The light always comes on upon starting the vehicle.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nov 222013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard and caused the cruise control to malfunction. In addition, the seat belts did not latch and the vehicle crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head, back, and legs injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The vehicle was included in a manufacturer recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Martin, TN, USA

Nov 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to airbag recall issues. The consumer stated she never received a recall notice. The dealer informed her, the parts were not available.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Oct 272015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted. The air bag warning indicator illuminated and the service air bags soon warning message appeared. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,800.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt pre-tensioner and an unknown connector under the vehicle seat had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,490.

- Brockway, PA, USA

Jun 062015

Malibu

The contact owned a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, a second vehicle crashed into the front driver side of the contact's vehicle. During the crash, the front end sustained extensive damage, but the air bags did not deploy. In addition, the contact indicated that both the driver and passenger side seat belts failed and separated from the seats during the crash. The driver sustained back and neck injuries and the passengers injuries were unavailable. A police report was filed and medical attention was received. The vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the failures were not determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 09/15/15

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 302012

Malibu

Airbag sensor goes off and on intermittently. Has been that way since I purchased it from the dealership. It appears I was sold a vehicle with faulty wiring. This poses a health and safety issue as the dealership would not take responsibility for the airbag claiming it to be something that was my fault and that I should absorb the cost to repair it. Luckily, I have not had any accidents however, in the event that one should occur; the chances of the airbag functioning properly are slim to nil.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 192015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 40 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the air bags failed and the seat belts did not restrain the front driver and the front passenger. The contact and passenger sustained minor injuries, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Hillsbouro, MO, USA

May 042015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving a person slammed on brakes in front of me and I too hit mine. I did not feel the antilock while braking and after impacting with the car in front of me the airbags were not released. For as hard as we hit and for as much damage happened the police were surprised they did not deploy.

- Dallas , TX, USA

May 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,920.

- Allegan , MI, USA

Jun 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

My service traction control light was coming on ever since I bought my car and I took it to koons for service and I was told one wheel was moving faster then another not to worry about it then on 06/18/2014 iwas hit by a Chevy Silverado that ran a light and I was doing 45 miles an hour I had my granddaughter in her safety seat in the back none of my air bags worked nor did my seat belts my grand daughter hit the back of the seats.now my car is flashing the codes again now that its fixed and shuts down while driving.its part of the GM recall for the upper wire harness but they are saying it isn't and they are not standing buy the warranty this defect almost killed us and still is almost killing us by shutting down while driving service traction control lights coming on plus air bag lights saying air bags are shutting down.so that means the air bags if we needed them would not help us again if needed.we were very badly hurt the last time and I need GM to step up and reimburse us for our injuries and for making us still ride in an unsafe car that they now is on the recall list but they keep saying its not.my car is still in service and service is saying it is part of the recall bit GM will not take responsibility...

- Joppa, MD, USA

Mar 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

We have talked to out two different Chevy dealers about this and even went through arbitration over our airbags. Nothing has ever been found to be wrong. The service air bag light has come on again. I was driving approximately 30 mph and the service air bag light on the display come on momentarily (about 60 seconds) and went off. It came on for about 15 seconds and started flashing, then it stayed solid again. Now, every time I start the car, it is on.

- Austin, AR, USA