2013 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 282015

Malibu 4-cyl

While I was driving the car kept shutting off and throwing it into theft mode...this happens on daily basis now and I'm scared it will cause an accident due to the continuous shutting off in the middle of driving in certain speeds...I see there is recalls on this which I do keep getting the anti theft deterrent system error message in my main screen when this happens. When will there be a recall for this on this year & model because I see so many complaints about this online?

- Okc, OK, USA

Apr 052015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph, the speed decreased to 25 mph after the reduced engine power warning indicator illuminated. The contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on; however, the warning indicator was still illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the sensor in the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,500.

- Hartland , MI, USA

Dec 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

For no apparent reason the vehicle will stop and the electric controls will go off (lights, display indicators and signals) will stall as if I have turned it off with the ignition switch for no reason while I am driving. No warning whatsoever and have plenty of gas. I have to sometimes stop in the middle of traffic until I can regain some control of the vehicle. And at that point it will seem as though it is not fully functioning because all the indicators are displayed. (it seems that there is something wrong with the computer system).....

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 282015

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving 55mph on cruise control, I heard a warning chime. Looked at dash and the words engine power is reduced were on the screen. I looked for a symbol on the dash to tell me more and saw the engine symbol was on. The car didn't perform out of character from already going 55 on cruise. Nothing changed in the engine performance. I continued toward home as that was my destination and was less than 15 miles from home. I parked the car in my garage, turned off the engine, waited a few seconds, then started the engine again. The warning came on right away. I called the dealer who I'm leasing the car from but it was a Saturday afternoon and they were closed. I did leave them a message to call me on Monday and why. I have not and will not drive the car until I hear from the dealer and have a date and time to bring it in because of the concern the engine could power down as I'm driving according to internet forums I since read that others with the same warning said their car did slow down on a fast busy highway. This warning is in the manual that came with the car and says it is the throttle body sensor gone bad.

- Endeavor, WI, USA

Jul 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

The car engine stalls, locks go up and down, panel lights go out, power steering is disabled, RPM gauge revs up to 7000+, then engine comes back on. This has happened multiple times nearly causing crashes and causing extreme anxiety. The service department says no error is stored on the car computer and they cannot duplicate the incident. After 2 days in the shop, I got my car back, drove 378 miles and the incident happened again. It has occurred with every member of my family. I want to be taken seriously or I will contact an attorny before someone gets injured not afterwards.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 022014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was on the on ramp, behind another car driving to get onto the highway when we both drove through a big puddle of water. The car in front of me stopped and the water came over the hood of my car. My car then stalled and I coasted to the left side of the on ramp. My car would not start. The other car continued driving. No water entered my vehicle.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Aug 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration power then stalled. The contact also mentioned that the engine temperature warning light illuminated and that the failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the serpentine belt and water pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jun 082014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the engine power suddenly reduced and a warning came on indicating reduced engine power. The vehicle was taken to dealer who had it for 2 weeks and drove around 500 miles on car and were unable to replicate error.

- Newark, DE, USA

Mar 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my son to work and I lost all power to my vehicle. I had no brakes, power steering and my engine light came on and battery light came on as well. I managed not get in a accident and get into a parking lot. Thank god. My backlights have had issues as well they have stayed on and have cuased me to get pulled over by the police.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

When my vehicle is idle it would occasionally idle rough. Happens most times im idling.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Sep 012012

Trunk opens automatically when key fob is carried in pants pockets..I've tried shielding the fob, but it is just to sensitive for normal use!!! I got different fob, but it still opening my trunk, & I don't realize it, till I return to car... my car is not in a garage, & in mornings, the trunk is wet from snow or rain.. plus:anyone could steal from mytrunk all nite long !!!!

- Dimondale, MI, USA

Dec 282012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds and downshifting, the vehicle rode very rough. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. After inspection, they advised him that he would have to put 500 miles on the vehicle for it to learn his way of driving. After driving a while, the shifting became progressively worse. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. After diagnosis, they advised him that the two rear engine mounting bolts were not tightened properly. The vehicle was repaired by tightening of the bolts. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 7. the current mileage was approximately 1,600. Updated 4/1/13 updated 04/23/2013

- Apopka, FL, USA

Feb 072013

Our Malibu was just purchased with 9 miles new on January 31st and has the easiest eco feature which is supposed to shut down the vehicle at stops. Our vehicle is not shutting down. The dealership states there is no known issue, bulletin, or recall for this. Any information would be helpful thank you. ## VIN failed ##

- Grain Valley, MO, USA