2013 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jul 012016

While driving, service air bags, service anti teft system, warnings come on, A/C, radio shut off aswell as gas, speed odometer, all gauges shut down.

- San Antoniio, TX, USA

Jan 012016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 15 mph, all the interior lights suddenly failed to function. In addition, the vehicle was making an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment. The contact also stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the accelerator pedal felt abnormally soft. Additionally, the ignition key failed to release from the ignition switch when the vehicle was turned off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,700.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

For no apparent reason the vehicle will stop and the electric controls will go off (lights, display indicators and signals) will stall as if I have turned it off with the ignition switch for no reason while I am driving. No warning whatsoever and have plenty of gas. I have to sometimes stop in the middle of traffic until I can regain some control of the vehicle. And at that point it will seem as though it is not fully functioning because all the indicators are displayed. (it seems that there is something wrong with the computer system).....

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 042014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While idling, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact's vehicle continued to accelerate driving across a street where it crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000. Updated 02/09/15

- Detriot, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Malibu ls in September, 2013 and have been having nothing but problems since. During the first few weeks of me having the car my rear defrost was not working properly and my car would smell like an rotten egg which it still does. I took the car back to the dealership and of course they found nothing wrong. A few months letter my brakes stated grinding whenever the car was in reverse (still does). The dealership found nothing wrong, but stated they had smoothed my brakes. My car has cut off a total of seven times and the dealership found nothing wrong. So I called and spoke with the head person in charge of the service department and was told it could be my computer, but nothing has been done to check the computer. My car loses power while driving and has even sped up on its own. My brakes, brake hard as if they"re getting stuck at times. When I turn on the car hot air blows at full force and will not cut off until the car is turned off. The glove box light shines in the floor and the seatbelt would not latch. The best part of it all, while the dealership had M car one of the workers hit something, so they had to remove my front bumper to paint it and did not place it on correctly. My car is experiencing all of the issues that are out on recall, but I"M always told the recall is not for my car. GM needs to take full responsibility and correct the issues or buy back my car. I refuse to continue to pay for something that is not worth it.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Sep 092014

I was in 2013 Chevy Malibu rental car from enterprises that I've been driving for over a month now and today 09092014 while driving on very busy highway with my 4 year old son in his car seat in the back I was slowing to exit the highway when all of a sudden the car started to shake violently and was loosing speed and power with several 18 wheelers existing at the same time as well. The car information display panel said "reduced engine power", and the traction control and check engine lights came on along with the change oil soon. I'm blessed that nothing happened to us but I'm afraid that this may happen again to someone and the results my not be as blessed as we are. I will be in contact with enterprises rental in the morning for a different car.

- Atmore, AL, USA

Jun 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle slowed to 10 mph rapidly without warning in traffic. Was one half mile from entering interstate. Car was hauled to dealer.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Jun 082014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the engine power suddenly reduced and a warning came on indicating reduced engine power. The vehicle was taken to dealer who had it for 2 weeks and drove around 500 miles on car and were unable to replicate error.

- Newark, DE, USA