4.9

2013 Chevrolet Malibu wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

May 092016

Malibu

Wheel bearing from GM dont last. My car has 75000 miles and have already replaced all 4 and those were done May 9 using GM parts and have another one that is failing.

- West Point, NE, USA

Jun 252016

Malibu

These problems occurred on paved or concrete city streets. At least once last month and 3 times this month I experienced transient episodes of what I categorize as power steering failure while driving. Three of these times were at reduced speeds less than 20 mph during a turn and once traveling 65 mph down a straight section of the highway. On two of the turning events I managed to avoid head on collisions with other vehicles at the intersection/parking entrance. These episodes are short durations and may be characterized by sudden stiffness in the wheel, jerking to one side or what seems like a power steering failure. On the last event today a power loss to my console was noted. Needless to say, this is a very dangerous problem and given my near misses in the short time I have owned this car, I have to wonder how many other owners of this problem were out there that are no longer able to complain about it. On a safety note, I highly recommend to anyone with this problem to maintain a firm grip with both hands on the wheel when making a turn on a separate note I mentioned that I also had trouble with the tires. This happened yesterday as I was going down the highway in a moderate downpour. The car seemed to lose traction on every puddle I hit. It made for a very scary ride and forced me too carefully reduce speed to a minimum of 45-50mph. This is still very subjective and I still need to have it checked out, but it did not feel like hydroplaning as I know it.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Apr 142016

Malibu

A low humming noise emitting from rear end of the vehicle. The noise gets louder as the speed increases. The noise appeared at around 470000. I have 52000 miles currently. Right side wheel bearing replaced and now appears the left side needs replacement. Took vehicle to certified mechanic.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 012015

Malibu

Rear wheel bearings make loud noise when accelerating and create a humming noise while traveling at higher speeds. Seems to be a common GM issue with out of spec parts.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Mar 212015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the windshield wipers failed and caused the instrument panel lights to flicker. The failure continued until the instrument panel dimmed completely. The dealer diagnosed that there was a loose battery cable. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued intermittently. In addition, while turning the vehicle, the wheels seized and the instrument panel lights dimmed. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred. The contact notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 34,200.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 022015

Malibu

Issue with the left rear wheel bearing going bad at 60,000 miles. The car makes a loud noise at acceleration and a constant hum at set highway speeds. With the car on a lift, you can place your hand on the hub, and spin the tire you can feel the vibration. The concern is the hub is out of round causing the wheel bearing to prematurely wear out. On-line research indicates this is a major issue with Chevrolet Malibu owners.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

My daughter was driving on expressway and had just taken an exit through town about a mile when her rear drivers side tire (Goodyear assurance) blew out on the inside of the tire. The blowout was in the sidewall near the rim and was about 3 inches long, which I have a picture of. She said she heard a "pop", low tire pressure light came on and then a rumbling noise. Luckily she was able to get it off to the side of the road safely. This 2013 Malibu only had 12,000 miles on the tires when this happened. Approximately 5 days earlier I had just taken the car into a dealership near our home and had the oil changed and tires rotated but no one had acknowledged any problems or bulges with any of the tires.. the dealership where we bought the car would not have anything to do with the tire issue. They stated the warranty does not cover tires and we would have to deal with Goodyear ourselves. Upon doing some research on the internet, I had discovered that many complaints had been made on these particular tires such as bulges in the sidewalls and blowouts with very low mileage. It's obvious there is a defect of some kind and these tires need to be investigated before someone gets killed. My daughter said she never ran over anything, it just popped on its own. Thank god she had just gotten off the expressway as this could have caused a tragic accident.

- Otisville, MI, USA

Jun 182013

Malibu 4-cyl

The following is a summary of a flat tire incident my wife had on I-75 at davidson on 6-18-2013. I have already submitted this to Chevy.com/warranty, and felt that you too should be aware of this occurrence. "had a flat tire, 6/18/13 on my 2 month old Malibu. Called on-star, no help after 1&1/2 hours. Called on-star again, no help after total of almost 3 hours. Michigan dot road service came on scene and tried repair with emergency repair kit. No good, tire did not inflate. Finally called aaa who responded in 10 minutes. Wanted tow to dealer, but dealer (rinke) was closed after 6:00pm. Was towed home at cost of $84. Next day, 6/19/13, took tire off vehicle and brought to (rinke) service dept. For repair at cost of $25. Asked about repair/replacement of canister in emergency repair kit. No one at dealer service had ever replaced the canister or were familiar on how to repair it. Went to parts dept. To purchase a replacement canister - none available, would have to be ordered at price of over $26. Asked about purchase of doughnut emergency tire and tool kit - again, none available, would have to be ordered at a price of over $400. With complete absence of dealer assistance, I took tire home and installed on vehicle. My resolution to avoid a recurrence of this event was to go to our local bell tire store and purchase a new wheel and tire so that my husband (84 years old) and I (75 years old) would have the security of a replacement tire if we encountered a flat again. In our opinion, the elimination of the emergency spare tire was a bad move, and the unavailability of replacement components is a sad and disconcerting condition."

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

May 202013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed that the driver's side tire was flat. The contact attempted to replace the tire when he noticed that the vehicle was not equipped with a spare tire. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that due to fuel economy, they did not equip vehicles with spare tires. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

May 242013

Malibu 4-cyl

I recently purchased a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu eco and found out that there was no spare tire. How can the government allow manufacturers to sell vehicles with no spare tires? a compressor and tire sealant will not work with a sidewall blowout, or an unrepairable puncture. I checked with the dealer about purchasing a spare with a jack, and the cost was $500 - which is ridiculous!! I you want to make highways safe, insist that manufacturers offer spare tires and jacks at a reasonable price, or make spare tires mandatory. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you

- Medway, MA, USA