2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Aug 152010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Safety issue with 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Because of a number of problems with steering and suspension, I have had four certified mechanics inspect the car. Three found that the steering rack is defective; one found that the intermediate shaft is defective. Neither should be defective on a car with 57K miles. The only way that the steering rack could be defective is if there was a problem with the heat treatment during manufacture; this would imply that the entire batch is defective. Similarly, the intermediate shaft is a thick piece of sheet metal that should not be defective with low mileage. The problem(s) has been reported to General Motors, who have not responded to repeated contacts. Because the mechanics do not agree, I will have the intermediate shaft replaced to see if that solves the problem. If not, then I will replace the steering rack.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Sep 142010

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu max. The contact was driving 10 mph and attempting a right turn when the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became increasingly hard. The contact was barely able to maneuver the vehicle to avoid a crash. The manufacturer advised that because the vehicle was over 100,000 miles, they would not assist. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Villaria, GA, USA

Mar 132010

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving the power steering failed and the vehicle lunged forward when the wheel turned in the opposite direction that she was turning in. The power steering alarm also failed and the warning light began to flicker. Speed does not seem to be a factor. The dealer stated that the steering harness and coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Reynoldsburg , OH, USA

Jul 012010

Malibu Maxx

Electrical issues with my 05 Malibu maxx.the power steering keeps going out-Chevy is aware of this problem. The engine has trouble starting. The rear wiper goes by itself without anyone touching the control-most recent event, happens every few days 1 or 2 times. I have had issues with the starting from the beginning of ownership. The power steering issue has been over the past month. Sometimes the warning light comes on first, usually not. I have not paid to have any work done, but have contacted Chevy's customer service and was told, that they would make a record of it. Restarting the car usually fixes the power steering temporarily. I have to change the brakes once a month, so they don't destroy my rotors. Power steering seems to go out more often when it is hot outside.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Aug 072010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While driving on local street at approximately 35mph, the power steering on our car stopped working making steering very difficult. My husband was driving and he had trouble steering to the side of the road. He turned off the car and restarted it, and the power steering came back on. Within a 2 mile span, this occurred twice. I asked my kids and husband how often this happens, and it's every time the car is driven. If my husband had trouble steering when the power steering stops, it must be even worse for my 2 girls. If this occurs on the highway, there could easily be a serious accident. I looked online and numerous complaints have been made about this problem. There was a service bulletin for it but it needs to be a recall. I read that mazda3 and Mazda 5 cars are being recalled for power steering failure. Why haven't Chevy Malibu been recalled? please help.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jan 012010

Malibu Maxx

This problem has been occurring for more than 6 months now, possibly a year. Hard to determine as it was very inconsistent at first. Occurs more often now. When accelerating, generally over 3000 RPM's (think passing on freeway or left turn across traffic) the steering will freeze for a few seconds. There is also a triple bell sound and the message center will display "power steering". in 12/2007 I received a letter from GM saying they will fix the problem with the "power steering assist" if within 7 years or 70,000 miles. I did not have the problem plus I was over miles stated. This week I received a similar letter saying the same, that they would fix the steering if under 10 years or 100,000 miles. Again I am over miles(by 7000 miles). I called to confirm and was told that their policy was very strict and would not be able to help me. Obviously they know of the issue and are just trying to pay as little as possible in repair/replacement costs.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Jul 272010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a problem with my power steering in my 2005 Chevy Malibu that has been diagnosed as a known defect with the power steering column. I called and spoke with a NHTSA representative today and he said it was a known defect on many Chevy models where the cobalt was recalled but my 2005 Malibu has not been recalled. I am scared to death to drive this vehicle. I've read online about accidents happening as a result of this problem as a result of power steering loss. Please can you resolve this problem with Chevrolet so they issue a recall. I drive my kids in my car and I am afraid to drive it. Updated IVOQ 08/31/10

- North Branford, CT, USA

Apr 122010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

We own a 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx that we bought certified used in 2008. For the past few months the power steering stops working while the car is being driven.. it becomes very hard to steer and is very scary when it happens especially on the highway when traveling at faster speeds. Also scary when traveling on curvy roads. If we stop the car and restart it, the power steering returns. My husband took it to our mechanic who says the part is about $500 and the labor is about $200. Shouldn't this be a recall? it's very unsafe and could easily lead to a serious, or fatal, accident. Please check into this quickly before someone is killed. Thank you.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jun 172010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

3rd posting here. Same problem. No power steering. Now it is to the point where im lucky to get power steering for the length of my driveway. I called the local Chevy dealership to inquire about the cobalt recall (which is the same issue as the Malibu power steering issue) and they told me at this time there is nothing that can be done by them. I told them I had been in 2 times to a dealership and that was told the same thing. The next thing said really surprised me. Apparently there is a "super secret warranty" for this very problem. As luck would have it I was not informed of this warranty until it had expired on my car. Chevrolet handled this in true customer is always right fashion. If I want to take it in and pay for the diagnostic and repair they would possibly refund me the cost of the repair only. Needless to say, if I had the funds avail to get the work done I would have either done it already or switched to a Ford. To all you people out there with this issue go into a dealership and ask about the "super secret warranty" then after you get it fixed, sell it!!!!!

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Aug 012006

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Loose/clunky steering. The clunky sound and feel can be heard/felt whenever the steering wheel is moved. There is also some space between when the steering wheel is turned and when the wheels actually turn. Feels unsafe to me. I'm very easy on the turns, it scares me that something is going to break when I turn. Don't know if that's the case I'm not a mechanic, but it feels and sounds awful. It started months after I bought the care. I purchased it April 2006, basically a new car, but after a few months the problem started. I took it to the dealership they fixed it, but it started up again after a few months. I took it in again to the dealership they said they were installing a new improved steering gear or something like that. It lasted a little longer this time, but the problem started again. This should be a recall repair. The warranty is over so I'm not taking it in again. It isn't worth the expense - a temporary fix is not the solution. This will probably be my last Chevy. It's disappointing. My cars have always been at least 6 years old when purchased. This was my newest car purchased. It was exciting, but then ended up being so disappointing. My next newer car purchase will be Nissan. I miss my old Nissan.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Dec 092007

Malibu Maxx

No crash, no injury, just worried it`S going to happen when it comes to the steering.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2005 Malibu maxx power steering reading came up 2X on radio. Took to be checked and cost to $700 to replace the unit. Vehicle only has 53,000 miles. This unit should not be going out this soon!

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 212010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Malibu maxx ls. I was attempting to leave work and put my car in reverse. A message popped up that said power steering. My steering wheel would not move in either direction. I was stranded at work, forty miles from home. Later that evening I went attempt to retrieve my car and it was fine. No message, no issue. I have had this message pop up briefly before, but disappears after a block or two. I took it to a shop and they informed me that it is most likely a loose wire. The problem is, no codes are found and I would be spending money to attempt a repair without really knowing what the problem is. I am a single mom. I do not have money lying around to hopefully fix a problem they are not sure of. I don't understand why this issue has been resolved by GM.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 112010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My power steering randomly goes out on my car. I have to pull over and restart my car to reset the power steering. Sometimes it last 10 minutes, sometimes it lasts 1 month. Why don't they recall this part with all the problems owners are having with power steering on this make and model?

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Apr 052010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My 2005 Malibu maxx I just had to get the intermediate shaft fixed again. After about every 10,000 to 15,000 miles we have to do this. And also my power steering keeps going out and when the car is shut off it resets itself but can't steer the vehicle when it happens. This has happened at least 5 times now.

- Butler, PA, USA

Apr 102010

Malibu Maxx

I own a 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx. When I was driving it to work the power steering message came on the dashboard. Shortly after that my steering wheel locked up so I couldn't freely move it like I wanted to. Mind you I was on the expressway so when it locked up I was terrified. I was told that it will reset itself but the message still comes on. Sometime my wheel locks up and sometime its too loose. Please consider about recalling this vehicle because I was fortunate with my life, maybe next time I wont have the same luxury. I know there's many other people with this problem and this vehicle should be recalled.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Apr 102010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My electric power steering goes in and out while driving.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Apr 092010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at speeds between 60 and 65mph when my power steering stopped working. There was an alert reading "power steering" but no service engine lights came on. I steered the car off the highway with much effort and turned it off. I looked at my owner's manual and decided that I would try to turn the car on again and see what would happen. The steering was restored and the problem did not return on my drive home. For the time that the power steering was not working it was extremely difficult to steer and I was worried about being able to control it. I had my three year old daughter in the back and I am now worried about that happening again.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Apr 072007

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Lost of power steering, varies speeds. No control of car.

- Pawling, NY, USA

Mar 152006

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel locked. He had to use extreme force to turn the wheel. He turned the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle to remedy the failure. The failure occurred eight times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the dealer stated that they could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle was not repaired when the complaint was filed. The first failure mileage was approximately 20,000. The current mileage was approximately 95,000. Updated 5/24/10 updated 06/18/10.

- Tigard, OR, USA