2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Mar 182010

Malibu Maxx

Had to have the intermediate steering shaft replaced on my 2005 Malibu at 9,923 miles and 23 months. Luckily the 3 years or 36,000 covered that. Had to have that shaft replaced 10,658 miles, and 34 months later. "out of warranty" had to pay even thought the part was "younger" than the warranty when it was new. It being put in new at 9,923 miles was not a factor. Looks like new shaft - no pun intended - every 10,000 miles as long as I own the car.

- Kent, OH, USA

Mar 182010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering failure on my 2005 Malibu maxx.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Mar 112010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My 2005 Malibu maxx's power steering has continued to worsen lately. I has been coming and going, and at times it has been rather hard to steer at lower speeds for my wife. It has also rattled ridiculously when braking. This is not related to the braking system, but is in the steering section of the car.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Mar 052010

Malibu Maxx

I have posted on this site 2 times now with both about the "power steering" or lack there of. I have been battling this for 70,000 miles! I can tell you all that it will only get worse to the point of you will go days without power steering. It will go out everytime you start the car when the temperature outside is above 60 degrees and works best when it is below freezing. It will go out when your just driving down the street straight ahead or when your turning, it becomes a constant worry while driving. To say this is a safety issue is an understatement. The report I read say there have been only 14 accidents and 1 death caused by this problem, I find that hard to believe. I cannot believe that it has taken them this long to issue the recall. And it's only the cobalt? I took my car in for the problem originally in 2008 and was told there was nothing that could be done to fix it. I could go on and on but will bite my tongue now. GM, you need to own up to this and take care of the people that pay your salaries.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jul 012009

Malibu Maxx

What are you going to make GM do concerning 2005 Malibu maxx steering system. Power assist pumps failing, steering shafts, etc. Mine started the clunking noise and getting progressively worse and of course it's out of warranty, which is what GM desires.

- Lee's Summit, MS, USA

Sep 152009

Malibu Maxx

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. A few years ago there was a recall on this car with steering problems. I believe the fix did not improve the problem as it still exist as of today.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Dec 192009

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While driving down the street my daughters 2005 Chevy Malibu's power steering stopped and she crashed into a snow bank. After leaving the car off for 10 minutes the car reset itself. I have looked on many web sites and I have seen numerous people complain about this issue and I was wondering why the Malibu has not been included in the recent recall of cobalts and others for the steering issue. I have taken the car to the dealer a few times but they say there is nothing that they can do. This is a severe safety issue one that could lead to death and I believe that the Malibu's should be recalled or at least some kind of study done on the internet such as I have done. I didn't even know that this web site existed until today.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Feb 102010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

This has happened about 5 times so far. The power steering on my Malibu maxx goes out without warning. The warning bell sounds and on my display it says 'power steering'. the steering gets extremely difficult when this occurs. It usually happens in the middle of a turn. I have to stop, turn the car off and restart it. I know GM did a recall this morning on other cars but the maxx was not included and it should be. I consider this a dangerous malfunction because the steering is so difficult when the power steering shuts off.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Feb 252010

Malibu Maxx

2005 Malibu maxx power steering shuts off in the middle of turns. It will reset after I stop the car, turn it off and restart the engine. This is an intermittent problem, a dangerous one at that.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Feb 052010

Malibu Maxx

I am an owner of 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx ls vehicle. Few days ago, it suddenly lost electronic power steering! yes, this car uses electronic power steering rather than fluid power steering. It really scares me because I could not move my steering wheel at that time. I tried my best on the way to turn right into the safe ground and off the road immediately. You cannot imagine how much strength I used to change the direction on it. It must be a serious problem on this car! if I was driving on highway, there might be an accident already. After all, this car has fatal problem with its power steering wheel. Please kindly check this message and reply not only me, but also owners of Malibu.

- Athens, GA, USA

Jan 052010

Malibu Maxx

After leaving the post office, my power steering light came on as my power steering stopped functioning. I drove for about 2 blocks before I pulled over. I turned the car off, restarted it, and the light went off and my power steering returned.

- Belding, MI, USA

Jan 032010

Malibu Maxx

Cars power steering light will come on with failed power steering. The first time this occurred was about 3 months ago while making a turn. Had the car towed home and when I went to move car further into my driveway problem no longer existed. Problem has occurred 1 other time while driving in rush hour traffic, but after stopping vehicle and turning off engine then restarting power steering was working again.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Dec 142009

Malibu Maxx

On a periodic basis, the power steering light will come on when the car is slowing to a stop. Thereafter, the power steering fails. Power steering can be restored by turning off power to the car and then restarting. There is no identifiable consistency to when this problem occurs.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 172009

Malibu Maxx

2005 Malibu maxx have a "power steering motor (electrical)" versus a power steering pump. The vehicle losses power steering due to electrical issues (3500 RPM see tbs 08-02-32-005) my vehicle had this happen dealership said it was due to time/mileage failure of steering column sensor.....I had to pay $1200 for new column and motor for what I believe is a safety and design flaw.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 202009

Malibu Maxx

Had to replace right side control arm, I.e. ball joint. Other ball joint appears to be in need of replacement.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Sep 102009

Malibu Maxx

Power assisted steering failed. Steering became hard so I pulled off the interstate at the nearest exit, stopped vehicle and turned it off. After the vehicle sat for a while I restarted it and it worked fine.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Nov 142009

Malibu Maxx

The 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx is well known for having power steering problems. The power steering goes out when you accelerate quickly. It also has an audible chime when this occurs. This is a serious safety issue that GM is well aware of and should be a recall warranty item. The power steering also goes out occasionally when moving slowly. This vehicle has numerous issues, including steering, rotors and struts (steering gear). I have already had to have the struts and rotors replaced at my own expense. It seems unfair and unconscionable to sell a product line with such a serious defect and then expect the customer to pay for the repair. When a few deaths occur perhaps GM will step up the plate and put our bailout money to good use buy fixing the defective vehicles they have sold to their loyal customers. I am reporting a recent date, but this power steering failure occurs quite often.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Oct 312009

Power steering gave out.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 242009

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While entering a parking space, the power steering failed. As a consequence steering became difficult. The dealer and the manufacturer were contacted, but because the warranty expired they would not provide a free remedy. The failure mileage 80,600.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Sep 042006

Malibu Maxx

Since purchasing my 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx in September of 2006, the vehicle has required an inordinate amount of maintenance time., especially for a conservative driver like myself. In three years, both lower control arms with ball joints (the arms are of aluminum construction) have had to be replaced twice. In the same time, the car has twice needed tie rod replacement my garage mechanic indicates that other Malibu maxx customers, even with a newer model year, are experiencing identical problems.

- Stillwater, NY, USA