2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Oct 122005

Malibu Maxx

While driving vehicle the electronic assisted steering stopped working. The second time this has happened in less than 12,000 miles and 8 months. This time mechanic advised it was the steering box not the column so it was not covered by warranty (surprise). I was advised the labor and part would cost nearly $598 ($597 and change).

- Burlington, NC, USA

Jan 092009

Malibu Maxx

Electronic assisted steering stopped working while driving. Mechanic advised it was sensor but they had to replace the entire column. Cost was $571.99.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Aug 292009

Malibu Maxx

Today, while driving straight, felt a tug, steering lost. This was the third occurrence. The first two times this occurred in 2008, the first time power steering was partially lost. Brought it to the dealer who stated that they could not recreate the loss. Lost the steering again and the dealer replaced the module. There were no parts returned to me. This time, the vehicle sustained damage. The tow company informed me that the car is not drivable - no steering.

Jul 282009

Malibu Maxx

Driver of a 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx suddenly lost all electric power steering assistance without warning making the vehicle difficult to steer. The defect is intermittent and is sometimes accompanied by a warning chime but without any malfunction indicator on the instrument panel.

- Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

May 022009

Malibu Maxx

Vehicle made a loud pop noise. Steering shaft was replaced at 35,000 miles due to a defective steering shaft. Vehicle is now at 70,000 miles and needs to be replaced again. I contacted Chevy and was issued a case number. They advised me a Chevy dealer diagnostic was required. Chevy dealership confirmed steering shaft again needed to be replaced, however head office denied my request. A steering shaft almost never needs to be replaced in a vehicle, since the time of my replacement at 35,000 miles alterations have been made to their replacements. This would indicate a manufacturer defect.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 012007

Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevy Malibu, 95000 miles. For 60000 miles have had limited if any power steering. It generally goes out right away when outside temp is above 60 degrees. Otherwise within 20 miles of driving it goes out. When it goes out I am usually going around a corner or cloverleaf. When power steering goes out steering becomes extremely difficult to turn and usually tries to go back to a forward direction. Not convenient when trying to turn. My wife it totally unable to drive the car, for it would lead to a crash. I find it hard to believe, after investigating this problem online, that Chevy has not issued a recall for this problem. This is a huge accident waiting to happen. The couple of time I have taken it into a Chevy dealer I was told there is no warranty on this car. The first time I took it in there was only 38,000 miles on the car. Needless to say Chevy has lost a customer. This has been an ongoing problem that started around the beginning of the year 2007.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jan 152007

Malibu Maxx

Steering rack failure due to insufficient lubrication by design. Have not had actual failure, but symptoms of steering rack failure present w/in one year of replacement. Failure of steering rack could result in steering failure, which would likely result in a crash.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 092009

Malibu Maxx

Ball joint worn out in vehicle at little over 50K miles--had to replace lower ball joint and control arm. Very light and small in size for such a powerful V6 fwd---I suspect not heavy enough for this vehicle--have found many others with same problem. Lucky that as a former service mgr. I recognized steering problem or could have been an uncontrolled crash possible---called GM---they said normal wear and tear---I have had several other GM products and all ball joints lasted about 100K miles.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Jan 102009

Malibu Maxx

On a cold (-20 C) winter morning I found I could not steer the car left more than 10 degrees. I hung from the wheel and it simply would not turn further. I drove it the short distance to my mechanic who put it in his shop to warm up. After it was warmed up the car turned just fine, but they sent it to a dealer just in case. It turned out there was a service bulletin for this problem and they replaced the steering column. I have not had this problem since. Another mechanic friend told me I should not hang onto the steering wheel when entering or leaving the vehicle as damage may result to the power steering.

- Welland, On, Ca, 00, USA

Feb 032009

Malibu Maxx

I was driving my car in a school zone at about 20mph and I started to make a left turn, about midway through the turn my power steering went out on my car and it became very difficult to control. Because I was in the middle of a left turn going across traffic when this happened I drifted in to on coming traffic. I can honestly say that if I or the other drives involved had been going more then 20 mph that there would have been a head on accident. I have taken the car to a number of local shops and I have spoken with the local Chevrolet dealership but noone seams to be able to pinpoint the problem. There have been no repairs on the car as of yet and I am currently not driving the car because of this problem. The problem has occurred everytime I have tried to drive the car since this has happened.

- Evans, GA, USA

Dec 012008

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. When driving low speeds ranging from 0 to 10mph there is a clunking noise in the steering wheel column. When he made a left and right turn or drove in reverse the noise was present. The manufacturer informed him to take the vehicle to the dealer to diagnosis the failure and perform a possible repair. An appointment was scheduled for the end of December 2008. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Dec 072008

Malibu Maxx

My 2005 Malibu maxx lt has had a recurring problem besides the "electric power steering failure" which has so far not failed again (did twice once when brand new, and again at about 20,000 km. Vehicle has only 45,000 km on it now! we live in winnipeg where winter temperatures often are below freezing from mid November to mid April. Today it is -25 C with windchill of -44 C. every winter we have the same problem.....the ignition key will not come out of its slot...try wiggling it and at the same time wiggling the shift lever in park....sometimes it works sometimes not. The GM dealer (vickars community Chevrolet) where we go for service has tried to fix it twice, but it always recurs when it is very cold. We have had to remove the "remote door unlock and leave the key in the ignition at times. This is not a good thing in the Canadian city with the highest car theft rate! we think it has something to do with the anti-theft pass lock system. By the way all cars in manitoba must have an approved anti-theft system to be insured or registered. The manitoba public insurance Corp. Does approve the factory system on the Malibu maxx. It is just too finicky and inconvenient. But at least we were not forced to put in a "third party" fob which many people have found causes all kinds of other problems especially with "command start" systems (Malibu has a factory command start.) wonder if others have similar problem??

- Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada, 00, USA

Dec 012008

Malibu Maxx

Clunk, knock or rattle noise from front of vehicle while driving or turning over bumps at low speeds. Dealer fixed clunk. The clunk came back. Dealer did not mention what parts were replaced or fixed.

- Northville, MI, USA

Nov 192008

Malibu Maxx

Learned of a power steering service notice after the power steering failed while entering traffic. GM authorized the repair and the dealer failed to completely repair the steering or other issue that was directly related to the failed steering. The dealer did not inform me that the car was not completely repaired. The steering now alternates between too much play or partial failure when turning. I brought the car back to the dealer who stated that GM did not want to completely repair the power steering. The steering is worse since the repair. At least before I only lost it twice but when it worked it worked fine. Now I partially lose steering every left hand turn and right turns alternate with a real lot of play and almost normal. Driving straight the car pulls to the right.

Nov 172008

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failed while turning left into traffic. The led read out said "power steering". turned car off. Searched internet and found a service bulletin for the car #07126. Called GM and asked why I wasn't informed of this bulletin since I complained of similar but less intense occurrences since purchase.

Oct 112008

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Whenever the contact turns the steering wheel in either direction, he hears a clunking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The failure has occurred three times. The current and failure mileages were 40,050.

- Ilion, NY, USA

Aug 012006

Malibu Maxx

I own a 2005 Malibu maxx and after one year old it began making clunking noises in the front. I took it to the dealership and they said they had to replace a part of the steering shaft. They did what they did and the noise was gone. They also replaced struts. A few months later it did it again. This time they replaced tie rod ends. By this time my warranty had expired. Then 2 months later it did it again! they lubed something and now it has been 8 months and it has not returned yet. Now my engine light is on and I keep getting a message to check my gas cap. I check it and nothing is wrong.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Sep 182008

Malibu Maxx

Under warranty my 2005 Malibu maxx developed a clunking noise that you also feel in the steering. Mostly turning left. Going forward or reverse. The dealership replaced the steering gear and it fixed the problem. Not a sound turning left, right or whatever. I was very satisfied but 10 months and 12,500 miles later guess what ! it's baaack ! include me in the list !

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Sep 172008

Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Thumping noise from firewall area when turning steering wheel at low speeds.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 092008

Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx - rack and pinion assembly failure at 37,000 miles (just beyond warranty). Internet search reveals several dozen similar complaints, and solutions do not last very long.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA