2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 312014

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer last year for three manufacturer recall repairs, which did not remedy the failure. Months after the vehicle was taken to the dealer, it would not shift gears properly and the vehicle shook and vibrated randomly without warning. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal and, if it were released, the vehicle would randomly stall. The vehicle was to be taken back to the dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing to determine the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 1/19/16

- Kingwood, WV, USA

Jul 042015

Malibu Maxx

As I drove from racine, wi to milwaukee, wi. To visit family for the 4th of July weekend as I was to turn car off to park I wasnt able to press down on the breaks, couldnt go into park, gear shift was stuck couldnt move it in to park had to put on emergency break in order to keep car in park! it left me stranded was very upset & confused!!!

- Mt. Pleasant, WI, USA

Oct 232013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module connection system recall notice and customer reimbursement requests form issues.

- Idaho Springs, CO, USA

Dec 032014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The fuel gauge is not functioning properly. When I fill the car up completely with gas, the dashboard indicator reads zero and I get a low-fuel warning message. When this problem started, after driving 15-20 minutes, the gauge would then read 'full' again, but the 'check engine' light would come on, and during this time the remote start function would not work. Now the car reads empty at all times, the engine light is on, and the remote start does not work. This led me to run out of gas. I am worried about the car stalling while on the road, as I have read happening to other GM vehicle models, and I am worried about running out of gas again. Fuel system problems seem to be very common with GM vehicles, especially the Malibu, and I would like to see the problem addressed.

- Knoxville, MD, USA

Aug 152014

Malibu Maxx

My husband was driving to work and the electrical system completely shut down. No power to anything.

- Hurst, IL, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

As the power steering is showing signs of failure and the dealership has not yet received the parts for my bulletin for the issued recall, the mechanic has now told me the torque failure of the power steering issue is leading to the failure of the ac condenser as they are both running off the linked pulleys. I would like to have this looked at by the investigative committee.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 082014

Malibu Maxx

Driving at 40 mph, all powered functions shut off - no power steering, hard to brake, and engine just quits. All "idiot" lights come on: Fuel, oil, stability traction control... just like before you immediately start the car, where all lights flash on. After two minutes of rest - I try the car again and it starts. Today, (7/15), this incident happened within 10 minutes of each other. The fist incident was exactly a week from today on 7/08, same speed, same road. The cart just quits. I am using this car for this summer where it is actually owned by mother. The car was purchased from jim O'brien Chevrolet in willoughby hills, oh.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Apr 082014

Malibu Maxx

On several occasions my car has lost power steering nearly causing a wreck. This is a danger and needs to be fixed but I was told I would be mailed notice on April 28. I am very concerned for the safety of my child as well as other people on the roadways. My car also randomly loses battery power.. I assume this is electrical.

- Shelbyville , KY, USA

Jan 012010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Several years ago vehicle started to exhibit ignition misses when making slow speed turns 10-20mph. Condition would correct itself when coming out of turns or entrance ramps merging into traffic. In 2013 and 2014 occurrence became more frequent (2-3 times weekly). Chevrolet dealer advised me two months ago that it appears to be caused by defective ignition switch and advised me to remove unnecessary weight from ignition key chain. I immediately did this and problem has not happen again. However, dealer advised that I could add my name to wait list for a new ignition switch, but would have to pay for the repair since my 2006 is not on the recall list. Since many other GM models have been recalled for this same latent defect I feel my vehicle should be added to the recall list for this problem.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Feb 142014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Driving along on a state hwy at 57mph, power steering alarm dings and power steering ceases and oh crap!! I'm not wanting to die yet! I maneuvered the car to the shoulder thankfully and restarted my car. After several attempts the power steering returned. Obviously the Chevy company is waiting for enough accidents or deaths to offset the cost of a recall. Has there been an investigations" how many people have to die? I see many complaints, stories of mechanics that know nothing about it or charge for a "maybe fix." Really??" please advise me of any real answers to this dangerous problem. I'll also be in contact with my senator sheila harsdorf and the state of Wisconsin's department of safety about this problem. Thank you

- Siren, WI, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Sometimes when pressing on the accelerator, the gears on the dashboard all make a clicking sound and go down to zero and then back up. This is accompanied by three dings and a sudden loss of power steering. The power steering returns after a few seconds, however the car is hard to control when the power steering disengages. This can cause the car to swerve and be difficult to steer. This is a big problems and I am unable to take the highway. If the power steering were to disengage while driving, a serious accident could occur since it's difficult to control the car without power steering. On the highway, where the speed limit is much higher than city streets, there may be a greater risk for the incident to occur. GM has not yet recalled this vehicle, although it is known this model has the ion power steering which GM recalled in their colbalt and Saturn models.

- Margatw, FL, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warnings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Misslinville, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My vehicle lost electronic power steering (eps) assistance when being operated in an underground parking garage. The vehicle gave an audible alert and warning lights displayed on the dashboard. The problem persisted after turning the vehicle on and off several times. Because the parking garage contained tight corners and required slow speed operation, I could not safely operate the vehicle out of the parking garage. The next day, the eps worked without a problem. This unpredictable and intermittent power steering failure is well documented in 2006 Malibu maxx vehicles. In fact, Chevrolet has extended warranties and conducted special customer service campaigns to select 2006 Malibu maxx owners to remedy the defective eps. Even though it is the same make, model and year as other vehicles determined to be defective, my vehicle's VIN falls outside of the range identified by Chevrolet. The VIN range identified by Chevrolet is insufficient. Owners like myself who operate vehicles outside of the VIN range are not being alerted to the possibility of defective steering components. The eps components are known to be defective in 2006 Malibu maxx vehicles and should to be recalled.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 042013

Malibu Maxx

I went to have the car inspected but the inspection machine cant read the car computer.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jun 102006

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

We purchased our 2006 mailbu maxx in November 2005. Two months later there was a violent shake in the front end, the dealership turned the rotors because they were warped. Then we started having trouble with the electrical system right after the warranty ran out.the rear wiper comes on by itself, interior lights blow constantly as well as headlights. Door locks work when they want to. Keyless has not worked for three years even with new remote batteries. Since the car has had 40,000 miles on it the power steering has been acting up. My wife has hit our garbage cans and even my truck pulling into the driveway. We cant even trade this piece of crap in because everybody knows the problems with this car. Our Malibu has 78,000 miles on it and we have put 4 sets of brakes on the front with heavy duty rotors and three sets on the rear. GM is not concerned with the safety of their customers. This car is crap and they know it. We should at least get 200 percent over trade in value to purchase another vehicle. Like a rock....more like a turd!!!!!

- Ranson, WV, USA

Jan 102012

Malibu Maxx

I bought car from local dealer and on my way home I heard the ding and the power steering indicator came on and it became very difficult to turn my steering wheel while driving on interstate 85N. Luckily my exit was the next one. Called GM dealer, they said that it was a warranty issue not a recall. After reading about this vehicle many people besides me have had issues with this power steering. I can't afford to pay out $600 each time it goes bad due to issues when manufactured.

- Easley, SC, USA

Nov 112011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The vehicle unlocks the doors automatically by itself without the power door lock switches or unlock button on the remote key fob being activated. The problem occurs during driving the vehicle as well as after the vehicle has been turned off. In addition, the problem occurs when the auxillary power is on (after the car is turned off and there is power to the windows and radio - before the doors are opened) as well as after the auxillary power is turned off (after the doors have been opened and power to the radio and windows has been turned off). The vehicle is found with its doors unlocked when the driver returns to the vehicle (driver locked the doors and confirmed they were locked when leaving the vehicle parked). The vehicle also disables the security system when it unlocks the doors causing anyone to enter the vehicle without the alarm or security system activating. This creates a security and safety concern for the driver and passengers. The vehicle doors may not stay locked when leaving the vehicle which creates a security concern. In addition, the doors may unlock when driving causing safety concerns.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Jun 082006

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 mailbu maxx. The contact stated that the brake lights stayed on all of the time. The bulbs have been replaced several times. The contact stated that the electrical system could be overloaded. He also said that when you press the brake pedal the brake lights shut off and the cruise control does not function properly. There was a tsb in effect but the owner was concerned since there should be a recall. The brakes affect the cruise control making it decelerate and then it would suddenly accelerate. The failure mileage was 10,000. The current mileage was 94,000.

- Lowell , OR, USA

Jul 222010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering went out on car pulling out of a mall parking lot onto highway. Almost caused accident because of sudden loss of power steering/turning on to highway. Drove car home and parked. Restarted next morning and worked fine.

- Ft Bragg, NC, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx from a local dealership and the first week I lost my power steering while driving. The message was displayed power steering. The mileage was 62,000. The dealership took the car to their shop and sent it back saying it was fixed. This problem continues intermittently for the next 20,000 miles. The last week before I had it repaired the power steering went out going 70 miles an hour on the highway. I could not steer at all and I lost my brakes until I shut the car off. I had to have the car towed to a Chevrolet dealership for repair. The torque sensor failed completely and they had to replace the steering column. I was told then by the Chevrolet dealership and also the dealership where I purchased the vehicle that this was a common problem and several Chevrolet on their lot had been recalled for the same problem. This cost me $700 and also I had a near accident due to losing steering and brake function at 70 miles an hour. I feel this is a serious defect and apparently well known. If I would have been hurt I would have held GM responsible as they are aware of this problem. I was told that GM used Saab parts for a few years until the problem became apparent. The Chevy Malibu maxx 2004 and 2005 models were recalled for this problem.

- Buchanan Dam, TX, USA