8.7

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Dec 022014

Monte Carlo LE 3.8L V6

This has been a recurring problem. I bought the vehicle at a used car lot and it was great for the first year. In the last year now, It has given me nothing but problems with the electrical system. I have had to have the wiper system repaired and/or replaced three times. Now I wonder if it wasn't from the same continuing problem I now have with attempting to start the vehicle. Normally, when the key is turned on, if the radio comes on, the vehicle starts but the gauges don't work. If not, when the key is turned, the "idiot" lights come one, but there is no response when turned to start - no click, no starter turning, etc. Sometimes if I open and close the trunk, it will start. The power door locks never work.

For me, this is dangerous for the vehicle not to start. I am a single mother with two children, the youngest being 8 months old. I need a dependable vehicle and this sure is not the case. It does have the open recall for the ignition switch replacement but don't know if that is the problem or not It seems like it could affect all of these problems as everything gets its power from the ignition being turned on. I have always loved Monte Carlos and this is my first (and last!) one. Very disappointed. Of course, the local dealer will want a diagnosis charge up front in case it is not due to the recall. I cannot afford to pay them $100 an hour (or more) just to check it out. I wish Chevrolet would stand behind their products with all of the problems I see reported here. Of course, they won't stand "in front" of the vehicles as they would be afraid of being run over!

- , Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 042010

Monte Carlo SS

I filled up my car with gas one afternoon, got back in car, won't start. Thinking crap, battery, wth?! Called my husband he tried everything, got one of our friends who happened to stop and put all of his 300# into the ignition and got it started. Would not start the rest of the night. Every Friday, without fail, car would not start, Saturday mornings, NO problem. Really?! Finally brought it to a guy who bypassed the security, thinking that was it. It worked for a while, then my hubby and I had a bad choice to make and put my old dog down, she can only get into my car. The thing wouldn't start. We figured "she" had something to do with it, needless to say, the dog is still with us and after two months, my car did it again. Kept messing with the ignition switch, no go, got out of my car after being stranded with two kids opened the hood, slammed it shut and the gem started right up. You have GOT to be kidding me?? Of course, the mechanics are telling me, process of elimination, ignition switch, ignition module, or the flippin computer. Sorry, i am not in a financial position for process of elimination. Any ideas???

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Monte Carlo Super Sport 3.8L

Helpppp..my car intermittently starts. When I have it towed to the dealer, it will start when its unloaded from the truck. So its hard for them to diagnose. They say that its not throwing a code. 1st time, they "assumed" it was my fuel pump, installed a new fuel pump.,picked up the car the next day, was running fine, went out the next morning to go to work, the car only cranked..wouldn't start. Had it towed back.. sits there for 6 days..starts everytime for them..on the 5th day, it wont start..they think they can find it now. Say all they can find is a busted bolt inside a battery terminal cable. Car starting again. Bring it home..runs fine, Go out the next morning to go to work. only cranks again..no start. The engine light would flash some while it was cranking. Tried the Security Bypass and it starts...yeahhhh. Get to work. Car drives good. Go out the next morning..car wont start again..only cranked..tried the security bypass again..nothing this time. Towed it back to the dealer..sat there for 3 days, they say it started everytime for them..conclusion: "couldn't duplicate customers complaint". I have to pick it up again..wont even crank the next morning..nothing..the engine would shudder when I tried to start it. Towed it to the original garage I had taken it to the first time when they said it wasn't the fuel pump causing my problem. The engine lite would flash when other lites were off only when I would try to start the car. About 2 weeks prior to all this occurring, my security lite had been coming on and staying on for a while. I know Im not the only person to have this issue with an 02 Monte Carlo SS. Can someone please shed some light on this problem and hopeful I can help point the mechanics in the right direction. Would appreciate any input.

Update from Dec 9, 2009: 12/10/2009...update..as of 12/3/09..I picked up my car from the garage, they replaced a new fuel relay switch and changed the spark plugs..and wiring...so far, the car starts every time now..no dragging..no hesitation. Yesssssssss

- , P.O.B 415 Accoville, WV, USA