2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Dec 162014

Monte Carlo

Driving down the highway with the cruise control the speedometer started to bounce up and down very erratically. When the speedo would start bouncing it would disengage the cruise control. At some points it would bouncing up and down but not come back above 40 or so mph. When it would do so the transmission would down shift and rev way up then the needle would come back up and the tyranny would shift back up. I had the needle go to 0 and not come back up at all and when sat for a second the transmission would kick completely out and I would be stuck on the road for a minute. After sitting for a bit I could move but the needle stayed at 0 and the transmission acted to be stuck in 1st.

- Earlham, IA, USA

Aug 202014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I was driving down a busy street at approximately 25 miles per hour and my car accelerated on its own. I had to step on my brakes to prevent from rear ending the vehicle in front of me. Attention when I drive. However, less than one week later, I noticed that my cruise control light was on and I had not touched the button to activate cruise control at all. I never use this feature and couldn't understand how this occurred. I then begin to notice that the cruise control sign would activate itself and my I was no longer driving at the speed that I thought I was. I do need to back up and state that I had a big problem with my ABS light going on and off and had taken my car to martin Chevrolet to have this problem repaired. After approximately 4-5 visits of the same problem and out of pocket hundreds of dollars, the service technician found the problem and fixed it at the tune of $200. I do commend him for digging deep to find out what the problem was and he never gave up trying to find a solution. The last item I would like to report is the issue of me being shocked with small jolts of what I can only describe as small electric shocks when I would open my car door. This dates back to the first year that I purchased my brand new car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA