2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Jan 042014

Monte Carlo

Once my car peaked at 100,000 miles the security light came on and never shut off. Sometimes the car start and sometimes it wont. Once I was in the middle of traffic when it cut off on me. While driving all the lights on the car would start flashing uncontrollably. Their is loud clicking noise coming from the whole panel. Now the car is sitting in my driveway unable to start. I have been reading tons and tons of forums about several hundreds of people that has experienced this exact same problem. Why hasn't GM recalled this problem?

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 162013

Monte Carlo

While driving at any speed the ignition system would reset lighting up the display cluster just as if the key was turned off and back on. This would cause a momentary shutdown of the engine. The problem seemed to be more prevailant while turning the wheel for a curve or turn off the road. The turn signal unit was first suspect since it seemed to correlate with applying the turn signal and turning the wheel. The condition worsened to the ignition shutdown for longer periods shutting down the engine causing steering and braking to be shut down and finally difficulty starting the car. After 2 visits to a GM service center the problem was found to be a faulty ignition that was replaced and the problem has not recurred.

- Flora Vista, NM, USA

Jun 122013

Monte Carlo

The drivers side of the car suddenly started blowing only hot air, while the passenger side was cold. The air-conditioning was set on maximum cool with both temperature sliders set to their maximum coldest setting. After checking on the internet, I found numerous message boards with thousands of GM owners complaining of the same issue.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Apr 162012

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Security light on the dash comes on and vehicle will not start. This continued to happen during the past year and seems to be increasing in frequency. Seems as though there are many many GM owners that are having the same problem and in talking to GM they know about the problem but state it is the owners expense to fix the problem which ranges from $500-$750. With the multitude of complaints I feel GM should be issuing recall. I have been stranded numerous times late at night alone and safety is an issue. You never know where or when your car won't start!

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Dec 142012

Monte Carlo

This car has a problem with the security system. It will either crank up, then quit running and not crank back, or it will shut off even while it is being driven. This is what happened on 12/14/12. I was on my way home after picking my daughter up from her grandmother's house when the car just shut off. I was approx. 15 minutes from home and called my wife to pick up the baby while I tried to get the car started back. After trying for another 15 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes trying to get the car to crank back up, the car finally cranked up and I was able to get it home. I was lucky that time, it was not during the busier times of the day, but what if I had my daughter with me and this happened on a major highway? I would not be able to replace the life of my little girl if it had happened on a major highway and resulted in a fatal collision.

- Pelzer, SC, USA

Jun 012012

Monte Carlo

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Consumer writes in regards to pass lock system, ignition lock cylinder and ignition problems.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

May 172010

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the path lock security system malfunctioned and the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was an electrical issue. The dealer replaced the BCM and non-oem modules. The repairs were performed at the contacts expense. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The manufacturer stated that they would notify him of their findings. The failure mileage was 54,778. The current mileage was 54,878.

- Lindenwold , NJ, USA

Apr 202010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Heater/ac blower motor operation is intermittent. May be covered under tsb #030603 NHTSA id 10001884. Was informed by 2 Chevy dealers that this is not a problem with this vehicle. Got your service #'s from an auto question and answer article in my local paper. The writer has the same vehicle as the mine. And reports the same problems.

- Alden, NY, USA

Mar 052009

Monte Carlo

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo. "security" displayed in message center. While driving at night my headlights flash on and off, my doors will not lock or unlock and trunk will not open using inside buttons or wireless remote. I have contacted several other people with same problem who have spent hundreds at Chevy garages to fix this, with no resolve. I talked to a Chevy mechanic who said they are seeing alot of these "manufacture security defects" and eventually my car will lock down and not run, so where is the recall to correct their issue.

- Ashley, IN, USA

Mar 152009

Monte Carlo

The security light started flashing along with the head lights and dome light. Now the light stays on, the doors wont lock or unlock, the trunk button don't work, and it only starts when it wants to. I have not done anything to fix it yet, but I heard GM has not either and I think this is crazy considering all of the people with the same kind of issue. 2003 Monte Carlo ssthey say it is around 500 to fix their mess that they pawned off on me. This is my first GM car and probably the last.

- Ashley, IN, USA

Nov 012004

Monte Carlo

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z-34 1997, electrical problems and idling high. The alternator was replaced, however the noise is still there.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 182005

Monte Carlo

The light that comes on when you open the passenger door (under the dash) stayed on with the door shut. The light bulb, burned the plastc around the wires and started the carpet on fire under the dashboard. My husband removed the light bulb and burned his fingers to put the glowing carpet out. Then, my turn signals worked sometimes and then at other times did not. They eventually stopped working all together. I took the car for repairs and was told that a relay switch had gone out. Next, some of the lights on the temperature control panel went out. Not all of them. They replaced my radio because the buttons were peeling. The next day, half of the lights on the radio went out and then came back on. The dealer actually told me that sometimes a new radio's lights will not all kick on right away. This may take some time and if they go out again, I should bring the car back. Are they kidding me? I can't believe they are telling me this. There is obviously a problem here.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Apr 292004

Monte Carlo

FOIA addressed to cpsc request information re electrical malfunction the 2000-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss, client darlene betts rec'd an arching electrical shock fm her 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss, ES database search provided records. (nar)

- North Providence, RI, USA

Nov 022003

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

While on a trip, I left car sit for 1 week (approximately 7 days) in the garage of my house with no accessories plugged in, and the car would not start when I returned. The battery was completely drained and did not even have enough power left in it to even unlock the doors. Took car to dealership and they found nothing wrong with the battery, charging system, or current draw when not running. This sort of thing should not happen to a car with an msrp of $30,000.

- Reinbeck, IA, USA

Oct 232003

Monte Carlo

Vehicle continuously experienced an electrical system failure. As a result, there'was an electrical shut down which resulted in the engine dying/ steering wheel locking up, and loss of brake power.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 252003

Monte Carlo

Tail light failed. Dealer stated there was an electrical problem.

- Carmichaels, PA, USA