2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 012010

Monte Carlo

While driving at night on a major interstate I was suddenly being passed and was nearly rear ended because although my speedometer showed I was doing 65 mph, I was actually going much slower. I realized there was a defect when I exited and while coming to a stop at the red light, my speedometer stayed on 60 mph. Since then my tachometer and my gas gauge quit working. The needles point straight down on all three. I called three different dealerships all of which have quoted about $400 to repair the cluster assembly. Given that this is a known defective part and has been recalled in a couple of other Chevy models, Chevy needs to recall the Monte Carlo and fix this for all mc owners. I bought the car new and the defect first occurred at about 85,000 miles. Today I have just under 90,000 miles but rarely drive the vehicle due to the defect. I am also worried about passing state inspection due to this defect that Chevy should be held accountable for.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 242009

Monte Carlo

I to have a 2004 Monte Carlo that the instrument panel gauges have all gone out. It started at 40,000 miles now speedometer, tachometer are no longer functional. This is very dangerous., I contacted General Motors they said they haven't gotten any complaints on this issue (this is the same issue they had with the trucks but they covered them. These are the same electronics) they informed me to take it to a dealer where it will cost me about $700 to fix. The internet is loaded with customers with this same complaint so I find it hard to believe GM has not heard of it. I guess someone has to die before it will become noticed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 082010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Gauge cluster is inoperative or inaccurate that may lead to an accident, fines, expensive repair cost due to inaccurate gauge readings, or fatality. Has been addressed on particular vehicles(www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/monte_carlo/2004/electrical/gauge_cluster_needles_spazz_out.shtml) but not the Monte Carlo line. 2004 Monte Carlo instrument panel defects comments: Writing in concern for all. There is an obvious defect with the original equipment installed on the 2004 Monte Carlo's among others I'm sure. GM will do nothing about it. The gauges will not read correctly which will eventually result in fines, injuries, expensive repair cost due to faulty gauge readings, and possible fatalities. For a small example of complaints go to www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2004/Chevrolet/monte+carlo/digital+instrument+panel would like you're support in urging GM to recall and correct this problem before somebody becomes a statistic, or is fined for altering the speedometer trying to fix this themselves. Thank you in advance for your support.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 012006

Monte Carlo

Every gauge on my instrument panel of a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo are inoperable. This has been ongoing for years, with each gauge failing. Dealers, of course, are completely aware that the problem is rampant in Monte carlos over a 5-6 year production period and are charging approximately $600 or more to repair. After reading many posts on internet sites and talking to owners and dealers, this is a problem that should result in a recall. Don't have $600 or more to repair so I have resorted to using a gift card and purchasing a gps for $50 so I can at least see my speed as I'm driving.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Jan 202010

Monte Carlo

2004 Monte Carlo spedometer and instrument cluster works erradicle during normal driving conditions and could result in a faster than posted driving expierence. If not trained and tested at high speed manuvers driver and passenger safety is reduced, dramatically !

- Linden, MI, USA

Jun 092008

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

My 2004 Monte Carlo ss is having severe safety issues due to faulty instrument cluster. Speedometer reads 110mph even when shut off. Coolant temp gauge doesn't work. So going down the highway I have no clue how fast I am going or if the motor is going to blow up due to overheating. Turns out GM recalled several 2004-2006 vehicles for the same issue. 2005 Monte Carlo has the same issue. I have spoke to GM about issue and they said they will not recall the cars or cover any of the repairs. This website here has 47 complaints so far for the same issue. Why will they not recall the car and fix this issue" will it take someone getting killed for them to actually do something about this well known problem" GM is aware of the problem with the Monte Carlo's. they just choose to not fix it and soak the customer for $500 plus to fix the issue.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 102006

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

At approximately 45,000 miles the speedometer quit reading correctly. Next the tachometer went haywire. Now the temp gauge has quit.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jul 132007

Monte Carlo

To the best of my knowledge, any time the wipers, lights, rear-defrost, or when its just cold out, the instrument cluster stops functioning. Notably the speedometer will go up with speed, but not go back down. This also applies to the oil pressure, temperature, fuel and RPM gauges. This defect makes it so I have no idea what speed I am traveling and can be a risk to hazardous road conditions.

- Mongomery, IL, USA

Nov 022009

Monte Carlo

The instrument panel goes crazy the speedometer pegs out and you might be going 20mph or it might show you are going 40 and the tac will be on 2000rpm going down the hwy and the heat gauge will go all the way over and the all the other gauges will do that also or they will do nothing.

- Stella, MO, USA

Dec 012009

Monte Carlo

Follow up to ODI id#10298010 it would seem that death or injury must result from an equipment failure to warrant action. I was lucky to escape either when, while driving I 80 the speedometer failed for the first time. The speed control was set at 65mph, but when I realized the speedometer was indicating +100mph, I reduced speed rapidly and was very nearly run over by the semi tractor/trailer behind me. GM is aware that components in these instrument panels are defective. Please, demand a recall of these vehicles before someone dies.

- Epworth, IA, USA

Aug 202009

Monte Carlo

2 years ago when I had 12000 miles on my Monte Carlo ss intimidator my dash gauges started reading wrong information now at 14607 miles the gauges don't work at all except for the oil pressure gauge. I have tried to contact Chevy help center 4 times in the past two months and they have not replied to my E-mails for information concerning this wide spread factory installed faulty component. Any information ODI can give me to resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 232009

Monte Carlo

Electrical system gauges, speedometer froze, gas, oil, and RPM pegged...

- Deep River, CT, USA

Oct 132009

Monte Carlo

Tachometer is the only gauge left working now on my 2004 Monte Carlo ss dale earnhardt jr. Edition. Oil pressure, boost gauge, water temp and fuel gauge all show incorrect readings at various times for the past several months now. Yesterday the speedometer refused to show any speed at all. I am now forced to use the car's overhead console computer to show me how much fuel I've used and my garmin gps to tell me what my speed is. This is an unsafe condition to operate a car in. The car has 71,000 miles on it. The original warranty has expired. Chevy says the entire instrument cluster needs to be replaced but the cost is prohibitive. The cluster on the dale jr. Edition is different from the standard cluster (car # and signature) so it is unlikely that my car will remain original with a replacement cluster. GM needs to replace or fix the gauges only. A simple solution that won't cost a lot of money. There is no need to do an expensive, destructive replacement of the entire cluster.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Sep 162009

Monte Carlo

I own a 2004 Monte Carlo ss, whether driving on hwy or city roads I loose all electrical power, ie lights, gauges, radio for about 2 seconds, enough to get your attention and then all comes back on, no interruption in the running of the car, I'm afraid that it may get worse and the car will shut down, I have had this looked at by a dealer service dept and they can not find the trouble and there are no codes stored in the computer, I have 61000 miles on and we like the car, something needs to be done.this has happened at least twice a month for the last six months plus.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA

Sep 102008

Monte Carlo

Instrument cluster panel gauges gone bad for my vehicle. The speedometer needle starts at a random point on the gauge and always reads incorrect. When traveling on highways, the needle may turn 180 - 360 degrees around the gauge, making it impossible to determine speed, makes using the cruise control option dangerous, and a higher risk of getting stopped for a speeding ticket. The tachometer gauge works 50% of the time but the other times the needle is in the "red zone" giving the driver a false sense of the transmission shifting. The temp gauge works 90%, but in cold weather it can stay about the halfway line also show a wrong reading of the engine overheating.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Feb 012009

Monte Carlo

Failure of speedometer other instruments in the cluster appear to be functioning properly. Sometimes the speedometer will register properly and the next minute it will say 15 when the speed is actually 55 or above. There is no consistency to this problem as it will malfunction at any time. Using the cruise control appears to have no effect on the problem. I am amazed at all of the complaints registered here and there still has been no recall. GM can be reached at 800-222-1020 and a complaint can be filed with them also. I inquired about a recall and I was not asked if I wanted to file a complaint. I had to ask them if I could. Every call should count.

- Wallace, SC, USA

Dec 142008

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrument cluster stopped working. The speedometer reads 100 mph when the contact is really driving 30 mph. The failure occurs daily. The dealer stated that the repair would cost $350-400. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 69,000.

- Grand Island, NE, USA

Dec 202008

Monte Carlo

There was nothing wrong with my car until one night and they suddenly I look down and my speedometer says I'm going 110 when I'm only going 30. This happens every day. I will be driving for about 30 minutes and then my speedometer will be reading the wrong thing. My tachometer will be wrong as well. I went to the GM dealer and they said that to fix it would be 350 dollars. While I was there they said that the GM trucks had a recall for they instrument cluster and it is the same one that is in my Monte Carlo. This is a safety hazard towards anyone who has this type of model instrument cluster.

- Grand Island, NE, USA

Dec 142007

Monte Carlo

I have had the car since 3/05 brand new off the show room floor, currently have about 38K miles on the vehicle -since I have owned the vehicle more than 20 times while driving all of the lights will come on the dashboard and the seatbelt light will chime --then the battery light will remain on for approx 15 to 20 minutes-have had the vehicle on for service numerous times and they have replaced module after module -cannot diagnose problem. On at least 5 occasions while driving at highway speeds of 50mph or more the vehicle will just turn off and everything will lock up. Vehicle will restart right away but there is no warning that the vehicle is about to stall or turn off --had in for service numerous times -have been assured that the problem is fixed and then it will happen all over again. This vehicle is a hazard to be on the road -as Chevrolet truly has no idea what is causing the problem, they believed the problem was due to the remote start in the vehicle -they replaced that numerous times and finally removed all together and the problem still exists. There is no telling when the car will shut off it will be fine for days and the problem will resurface. Last incident date was 3/27/09 -problem started in 2007.

- Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

Mar 182009

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the speedometer dial would begin at 80 mph and would not go back down to 0 mph. He took the vehicle to a dealer and was informed that the entire instrument panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired, but the contact has scheduled an appointment for the repair. He filed a complaint with the manufacturer but was informed that they could not assist. The current mileage was 30,765 and failure mileage was 30,715.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA