1. replace engine (1 reports)
2000 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup Owner Comments

May 282006

S-10 Pickup

Let me tell you my story, I have a 2000 S10 stepside pickup that I have owned since new. This truck has the 4.3 liter V6 with manual trans and had 64,000 original miles on it. Up until the time in question the truck has always performed well with only your basic maintenance problems for a truck it's age. I've always saw to its oil changes and maintenance intervals and have never had a problem until one morning while I was waiting on my wife in the truck at a local store I started to here a knocking sound. I immediately looked at the oil pressure gauge to see that the oil pressure was fine and responded to the throttle so the gauge wasn't stuck. Well just to be sure I shut the motor off an called a buddy to have it towed to his shop for us to check it out. Well we did and what we saw was not good, the oil had that nice metal flake shimmer to it and the deeper we got into it the worse it got. In the end the main and rod bearings were toast and the crank had evidence of lack of lubrication. Although the cause of the failure was believed to be oil pump related no evidence was found. The oil pump seemed to be in good working order. I wanted to tell this story because I know of at least 7 additional people with S10 pickups ranging from 1999-2001 4cyl and 4.3 V6 with mileages ranging from 54k-88kwho have had premature engine failure like mine in roughly the same way although some actually experienced a momentary drop in oil pressure. How about that no wonder why the only offer a 36k warranty!!!!!

- , Longwood, FL, USA